Ã…sten

Hakanpää-Riikola
Määttä-Kankaanperä
Pokka-Auvinen
Teppo

Gibson
Aittokallio
Perhonen

I would take Torniainen ahead of Salminen in the 3rd line and pretty much anyone ahead of Partanen in the 1st.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I would take Torniainen ahead of Salminen in the 3rd line and pretty much anyone ahead of Partanen in the 1st.

Agreed, playing in the OHL doesn't automatically mean that you're a great player, especially if you're a healthy scratch often. Partanen's efforts during next season will mean a lot, because at the moment it doesn't even look like that he'd surely make the team.

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
Partanen-Mi.Granlund-Pulkkinen
Donskoi-Salomäki-Armia
Salminen-Ma.Granlund-Ruuttu
Ã…sten-Halinen-Mustonen
Torniainen/Teräväinen

Määttä-Hakanpää
Ristolainen-Riikola
Pokka-Auvinen
Teppo

Gibson
Aittakallio
Perhonen

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
You're memory fails you, Donskoi played alongside Mi. Granlund and Pulkkinen.

I believe that the younger Granlund was in the mix during PP (at least from time to time), but on even strength Grandpa Simpson used the D-G-P line.

USA were so dominant in that game that it wouldn't have made any difference had those three played different lines.
That’s probably true, nonetheless I have a feeling that Donskoi’s role on that 1st line could’ve easily been filled by someone else, thus relieving him to a freer role on some other line where his full potential could’ve been utilized better.

Since neither Granlund nor Pulkkinen are unlikely to play any U-20 tournaments before the WJC it's better to rely on their past and proven chemistry and while letting the other players develop chemistry in the exhibition tournaments prior to the WJC. It was painful at times watching Pulu's passes missed when Haula and co. didn't capitalize, so Pulkkinen needs to play with people who can finish his passes while also set him up (which Haula failed to do far too many times).

A valid point about the chemistry and I can feel your pain, Pulkkinen seems to be one of your favourite players. On the other hand winning is about getting the best combined effort out of all available players. Helminen might see that Armia benefits more from playing with Granlund than Pulkkinen would, and that having Pulkkinen play with for example Ruuttu and Mustonen would elevate R&M’s game to a whole new level. Pulkkinen might score slightly less in the process, but the team as a whole would have a better chance of success.

My personal opinion is that Armia needs Granlund a lot more than Pulkkinen does. I also think that there’s no use for us arguing, it rarely changes anything in our boneheaded worlds. In the end it’s Helminen who makes the decisions, let's see what happens...

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
pretty much anyone ahead of Partanen in the 1st.

Well, his season went badly and this moment he isn't first liner. He'll get a bigger role and he'll produce more points so I think he would the perfect guy to make a room for Granlund and Armia. Iiro Pakarinen played with Haula and Pulkkinen so I wouldn't be surprise if our first line would be "grinder"-Granlund-Armia/Pulkkinen.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A valid point about the chemistry and I can feel your pain, Pulkkinen seems to be one of your favourite players. On the other hand winning is about getting the best combined effort out of all available players. Helminen might see that Armia benefits more from playing with Granlund than Pulkkinen would, and that having Pulkkinen play with for example Ruuttu and Mustonen would elevate R&M’s game to a whole new level. Pulkkinen might score slightly less in the process, but the team as a whole would have a better chance of success.

My personal opinion is that Armia needs Granlund a lot more than Pulkkinen does. I also think that there’s no use for us arguing, it rarely changes anything in our boneheaded worlds. In the end it’s Helminen who makes the decisions, let's see what happens...

Your man crush on Armia seems to be bigger than mine on Pulkkinen, since you've been wanting him alongside Granlund since last year... ;)

Armia's played with the younger Granlund on junior teams before so let them use that chemistry.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I'm still pretty sure that first two lines will be (without injuries, of course);

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Salomäki - Ma. Granlund - Armia

...as they all have played together in former tournaments with pretty good results. We should focus more on the defensemen and bottom 6 forwards.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Your man crush on Armia seems to be bigger than mine on Pulkkinen, since you've been wanting him alongside Granlund since last year... ;)
Having Armia alongside Mi.Granlund is just about team dynamics for me. I admit that Armia is one of my favourite Finnish prospects at the moment, but that could change quickly if he develops bad habits to his game. Only northern prospects have some emotional value to me and I don’t think it affects my evaluations. Just look how I’ve been downplaying Salomäki’s and Ma.Granlund’s chances in this year’s draft in comparison to some other sources.

Armia's played with the younger Granlund on junior teams before so let them use that chemistry.
It’s good that we can agree on something, Ma.Granlund – Mi.Gralund – Armia sounds like a line that might actually work. :nod: In all seriousness, Markus Granlund probably doesn’t have what it takes to carry a line at WJC’s level yet, so putting him on a same line with Armia might just require a player of Mi.Granlund’s calibre to work.

I'm still pretty sure that first two lines will be (without injuries, of course);

Donskoi - Mi. Granlund - Pulkkinen
Salomäki - Ma. Granlund - Armia

...as they all have played together in former tournaments with pretty good results. .
If the younger Granlund is used as a centre forward, his problems might be even bigger than what his older brother encountered at that position during his 2nd WJC’s. Also, I don't think that Salomäki-Ma.Granlund-Armia is the best possible line combo. Donskoi and Salomäki are from the same town and know each other very well, their style of play complements each other and it has worked well at WJC's and in club team competition.

As a compromise I might see Ma.Granlund-Mi.Granlund-Armia and Donskoi-Salomäki-Pulkkinen working well, but I still think Helminen should aim for having 3 strong lines on even strength play. It’s okay to have all the eggs in the same basket on power play and something like following might work there:

Armia - Ruuttu - Mi.Granlund
Pulkkinen - Määttä​

Ruuttu is naturally just someone who adds some sandpaper to that line and screens the goalie when need to.

We should focus more on the defensemen and bottom 6 forwards.
It's hard to focus on defensemen and other forwards, because to be honest there are so many alternatives to those positions at the moment. Ice time in SM-liiga and Mestis is crucial and there will be surprises. Even players without previous experience of national team play might find their way to the team.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It’s good that we can agree on something, Ma.Granlund – Mi.Gralund – Armia sounds like a line that might actually work. :nod: In all seriousness, Markus Granlund probably doesn’t have what it takes to carry a line at WJC’s level yet, so putting him on a same line with Armia might just require a player of Mi.Granlund’s calibre to work.

If the younger Granlund is used as a centre forward, his problems might be even bigger than what his older brother encountered at that position during his 2nd WJC’s. Also, I don't think that Salomäki-Ma.Granlund-Armia is the best possible line combo. Donskoi and Salomäki are from the same town and know each other very well, their style of play complements each other and it has worked well at WJC's and in club team competition.

Granlund (or Granlunds) needs a bigger or defensively sound player on his line, having both of them and Armia sounds just as bad as Rajala - Granlund Hartikainen. That line never gelled at the WJC due to different player types and lack of chemistry. Salomäki and Donskoi didn't play much in the same line in Kärpät so I don't see it necessary to play them on the same line.

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Granlund (or Granlunds) needs a bigger or defensively sound player on his line, having both of and Armia sounds just as bad as Rajala - Granlund Hartikainen. That line never gelled at the WJC due to different player types and lack of chemistry.
It might be wise to have some muscle and sandpaper on all lines similarly to this year’s WJC’s. On the other hand Mi.Granlund is a lot stronger and experienced now and I believe that he would mentor the line in a way that defence wouldn't be a problem. In the end Armia is already a lot better defensively than Pulkkinen was a year ago and Ma.Granlund’s defensive awareness has also improved greatly during the last year. Armia is a smart and skilled player who’s likely on the same wavelength with the Granlunds, so I don't think the comparison to Hartikainen is valid.

You can't speak about the lack of chemistry when there are two brothers on the same line who think the game on a level that they do. Also, as you said; "Armia's played with the younger Granlund on junior teams before so let them use that chemistry."

Salomäki and Donskoi didn't play much in the same line in Kärpät so I don't see it necessary to play them on the same line.
It's not a necessity to have them on the same line, but I also think that Donskoi-Mi.Granlund-Pulkkinen is a very bad idea. All the experience would be on the same line leaving the other lines without a leader. In my opinion it's best to have them on different lines on even strength in order to get the best out of players like Ma.Granlund, Salomäki, Armia, Ruuttu?, Mustonen? and who ever.

Both Salomäki and Donskoi are from the small town of Raahe and have spent their childhood playing on same teams. If you want to speak about on ice chemistry, they have it.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Not knowing a lot about this team aside from the top-3 players, how do they match up against the Swedish team?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I believe that the younger Granlund was in the mix during PP (at least from time to time), but on even strength Grandpa Simpson used the D-G-P line.

Yep, I remembered that one Mikke-to-Makke-to-Pulu onetimer PP-goal and automatically thought they played on the same line at some time.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Not knowing a lot about this team aside from the top-3 players, how do they match up against the Swedish team?

Well Finland has horrible defense as usual. Pretty solid goaltending. And pretty darn good top-6, with Armia, Granlund, Pulkkinen, Salomäki, Donskoi. Don't know much about the Swedish team this year, but I think it's pretty safe to say that, if we play against each other you'll be by far the bigger favorites to win the match. However can't wait to see the destruction Granlund & Pulkkinen will do, if Helminen decides to play them together.

P.S. Nothing against Helminen, and I haven't seen him coach before, cause he really hasn't done any coaching, but whose genius idea was it to put him in charge of a u-20 team, when he is basically just a rookie coach ? Why can't Finland appoint proper coaches for the junior teams?

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
P.S. Nothing against Helminen, and I haven't seen him coach before, cause he really hasn't done any coaching, but whose genius idea was it to put him in charge of a u-20 team, when he is basically just a rookie coach ? Why can't Finland appoint proper coaches for the junior teams?

Finnish icehockey federation is a joke

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011

He has been assistant coach in SM-Liiga and in the U20 team, so he has some experience. He's also the all-time most experienced Finnish player on the international level, and has high hockey IQ, which is a valuable asset for a successful head coach.

I've got to admit that he's bit unproven, but now he has chance to prove his coaching skills.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
He has been assistant coach in SM-Liiga and in the U20 team, so he has some experience. He's also the all-time most experienced Finnish player on the international level, and has high hockey IQ, which is a valuable asset for a successful head coach.

I've got to admit that he's bit unproven, but now he has chance to prove his coaching skills.

I'm not saying he can't become a good coach, but having been an awesome player doesn't equal to him being an awesome coach ... Also national team is NOT the place to practice, which he is basically doing. It's idiotic that the best juniors won't get the best possible coaching. Compare this to Sweden for example. Finland could learn a lot from them..

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Well Pekka Rautakallio was asked but he didn't want to to commit/give an answer until after the season, also wanted a long term deal. He thinks it's not good for the juniors if the coach keeps changing almost annually.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
How do you pronounce the name "Joonas"? Is it like yoo-nas? Or is it the english j sound?

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I'd like to see finland hire a coach for the junior team that they plan on making head coach for the mens national team, kind of like sweden did with Pär Mårts. That way the kids get to know the guy and his coaching style for later use with the mens team. Obviously guys like armia, granlund, pulkkinen, donskoi, babygranlund, salomäki, määttä etc are guys that are very likely going to be names on the mens team in some years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad