Christopher Gibson
(Perhonen/Iilahti)

Other possible candidates:
Micke-Max Ã…sten
Joonas Valkonen
Simon Suoranta
Jere Karjalainen

Head coach: Raimo "Raipe" Helminen

Feel free to correct me if there's some ineligible players, and make your own roster.

There's also list of players who were invited to a test camp, which was held in Vierumäki 18th-20th of May:
[url]http://www.leijonat.fi/index.php/maajoukkueet/maajoukkue-u20/3446-taessae-alle-20-vuotiaiden-testileirin-pelaajat.html[/URL]

Last edited:

Fulcrum

Only 2 Granlunds this year :)?

Is my lack of Finland knowledge or is this actually the most impressive WJC Finland lineup in a while?

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011

Is my lack of Finland knowledge or is this actually the most impressive WJC Finland lineup in a while?

Not so sure about the defense, but if Sami Vatanen was still eligible, this team would be a serious title contender. Too bad he isn't.

Of course someone could get hurt again and ruin our chances... :shakehead

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

That just two players who could score an air deke goal on you, there's also Pulkkinen! :D

Offense seems okay, defense is a bit of a question mark, no Vatanen type of a leader.

First line most likely will be Donskoi - Granlund - Pulkkinen, they already have experience playing together at last year's U-18 WJC. It's like the 20111 version of the Lehtinen - Koivu - Selänne line, Donskoi being Lehtinen (righty), Granlund Koivu and Pulkkinen as Selänne. :yo:

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Is this first tournament for helminen being headcoach?

First major tournament, yes. He was the U20 assistant coach last year, got promoted after Marjamäki left to coach Blues' SM-Liiga team.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
We could also put Donskoi and Salomäki to same line, they play together in Kärpät so I don't see reason to keep them separate.

X-Granlund-Pulkkinen
X-Granlund jr.-Armia
Donskoi-Salomäki-X

That's Killer TOP9

E: oh just realized that Ruuttu-Teräväinen is great duo for Jokerit juniors. Put them together in fourth line and start rotating four lines. If we are behind in late second/third period start using 3 great lines

Last edited:

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
X-Granlund-Pulkkinen
X-Granlund jr.-Armia
Donskoi-Salomäki-X

That's Killer TOP9

I also hope that Helminen tries to assemble 3 strong lines, it's IMO the best way to challenge the top countries.

Maybe something like this;
Ma.Granlund/? - Mi.Granlund - Armia
X - Mustonen/Ruuttu - Pulkkinen
Donskoi - Salomäki - Rautiainen/?

Not sure if the younger Granlund is ready to play in a big role at this level, but I think putting him on the same line with his brother would get the best out of him. Another idea would be to replace Haula with either Mustonen or Ruuttu, hopefully it works. Rautiainen or someone similar could replace Junttila on the 3rd line.

Hard to predict which players get quality ice time in SM-liiga and Mestis, so I'm sure that there will be some surprises. Hopefully none of the key players get injured.

I'm thinking that Määttä, Riikola, Mäkinen and Hakanpää will be among the defensemen. Mäkinen might not be best suited for NA game because of his size, but some compromises must be made with that defence.

Aittokallio and Gibson seem like the strongest candidates for netminder, but who knows.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I also hope that Helminen tries to assemble 3 strong lines, it's IMO the best way to challenge the top countries.

As was proven at last year's WJC you need to put the best players on ice at the same time to win the games (Kuznetsov and Tarasenko). Granlund and Pulkkinen have proven chemistry, so there's no need to waste Pulkkinen's scoring potential for the second straight year.

Temego

Mar 8, 2011

Maybe something like this;
Ma.Granlund/? - Mi.Granlund - Armia
X - Mustonen/Ruuttu - Pulkkinen
Donskoi - Salomäki - Rautiainen/?

Not sure if the younger Granlund is ready to play in a big role at this level, but I think putting him on the same line with his brother would get the best out of him. Another idea would be to replace Haula with either Mustonen or Ruuttu, hopefully it works. Rautiainen or someone similar could replace Junttila on the 3rd line.

Hard to predict which players get quality ice time in SM-liiga and Mestis, so I'm sure that there will be some surprises. Hopefully none of the key players get injured.

I'm thinking that Määttä, Riikola, Mäkinen and Hakanpää will be among the defensemen. Mäkinen might not be best suited for NA game because of his size, but some compromises must be made with that defence.

Aittokallio and Gibson seem like the strongest candidates for netminder, but who knows.

OP's lines look pretty good.

MG and Pulkkinen must be on the same line. Donskoi - Granlund - Pulkkinen would probably the best line in the tournament.

The second line which consists of our top ranked 93 born players looks also very good. We'll see.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
I could see Mikael Granlund making a mockery out of this tournament. Finland will have some serious offensive firepower. Maybe some depth is lacking but some of the tournaments biggest stars will be on this team.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Early Team Finland roster predictions for the 2012 WJC tournament:

Joonas Donskoi - Mikael Granlund - Teemu Pulkkinen
Miikka Salomäki - Markus Granlund - Joel Armia
Joel Mustonen - Mikael Salmivirta - Alexander Ruuttu
Sami Salminen - Petteri Halinen - Teuvo Teräväinen

Jani Hakanpää - Rasmus Ristolainen
Olli Määttä - Henri Auvinen
Ville Pokka - Simo-Pekka Riikola

Sami Aittokallio
Christopher Gibson
(Perhonen/Iilahti)
Looks like a viable roster. IIRC Ruuttu was no.1 center in the last U20 tournament right?

Like tormentor said, Ma. Granlund might not be up to the task of being 2nd line center, so he could play wing and concentrate on offense, Salomäki can play center as well if needed.

Mika Partanen - Alexander Ruuttu - Teuvo Teräväinen
Sami Salminen - Joel Mustonen - Kalle Torniainen

Jani Hakanpää - Simo-Pekka Riikola
Olli Määttä - Rasmus Ristolainen
Ville Pokka - Henri Auvinen

Offense looks really good, Defense... not so much. Pokka, Määttä and Ristolainen are all really talented prospects but having half of the D 94's just shows how bad 92-93 Dman crops were...

bebl

Jul 5, 2008
Finland
Thomas Nykopp/Teuvo Teräväinen-Joel Mustonen - Alexander Ruuttu
Sami Salminen - Oula Palve - Petteri Halinen

Olli Määttä - Simo-Pekka Riikola
Jani Hakanpää - Markus Västilä
Samuli Kankaanperä - Henri Auvinen

Sami Aittokallio
Christopher Gibson
Samu Perhonen

Other possible candidates:
Teemu Tiitinen F
Otto Paajanen F
Micke Ã…sten F
Mikael Salmivirta F
Roope Hämäläinen F
Mika Partanen F
Kalle Torniainen F

Valtteri Hietanen D
Aleksi Salonen D
Samuli Piipponen D
Konsta Mäkinen D
Rasmus Ristolainen D
Ville Pokka D
Joona Kunnas D
Patrik Parkkonen D
Markus Kojo D

Bolded players are playing likely with men.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I remember Granlund-Granlund-Pulkkinen being deadly at the U18's, and I would definitely give that trio a shot. This way we'd get Donskoi-Salomäki-Armia as a second good offensive line. I bet there'll be at least 2 or 3 suprising players picked on the time.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
As was proven at last year's WJC you need to put the best players on ice at the same time to win the games (Kuznetsov and Tarasenko). Granlund and Pulkkinen have proven chemistry, so there's no need to waste Pulkkinen's scoring potential for the second straight year.

Kuznetsov is a super-individual and he stole the show late in that quarter-final game, but in my eyes it doesn’t dim the fact that our team played a strong tournament and that was mostly because of having 3 sometimes even 4 lines which were able of creating scoring chances on a regular basis. Having Granlund and Pulkkinen on the same line would work, no doubt about that, but having them on different lines can overall be more beneficial/effective for the team. Both are good playmakers and can make players around them better. Just look at Detroit with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, it depends on the situation when it’s better to have them together or not.

During key moments like end of the period or PP it can be useful to have all your big guns out there at the same time, but generally on even strength it’s IMO a different thing on this occasion. With Granlund, Armia, Pulkkinen, Donskoi, Salomäki and someone who makes a big jump in development it’s possible to have 3 strong tandems. After that you just need to complement those tandems with the right players, and we have 3 strong functional lines. Also, it’s a tight/rigorous schedule, so it’s better to distribute the ice time and responsibilities more evenly before a decisive group stage match or the playoffs. Some might say that it’s also tougher for the opponent to match your top line when you don’t have one. Our defence is weak, so it’s important that all the lines get the puck out of their zone and can keep it in the offensive zone from time to time.

Continuous pressure is effective in hockey, it helps in creating scoring chances and drains the opponent making their game less effective. Having 3 strong lines would make a game plan like this possible, at least on paper. It’s also the way the top teams like Canada, USA and Sweden often play. The best way to counter depth is with having some depth of your own. It’s not good enough if only our top line is able to match the pace and level of play. I’ve seen it on several occasions and it leads to us loosing something like 5-0 in decisive games, if our goalie isn't the star of the game. Last year’s WU18C’s semi-final game against USA ended like that, partly because only Donskoi-Granlund-Pulkkinen line was able to match the level of play.

IIRC Ruuttu was no.1 center in the last U20 tournament right?
Yep, Mustonen - Ruuttu - Karjalainen seems to have been the 1st line.

Mika Partanen - Alexander Ruuttu - Teuvo Teräväinen
Sami Salminen - Joel Mustonen - Kalle Torniainen
It remains to be seen, but it could be that Teräväinen and Torniainen will mostly be playing just Jr.A hockey. It’s hard to make the team from that level. Also, both need to bulk up quite a bit before they are ready to face teams like Canada and USA in a NA rink. Also I’m starting to think that Salminen might not be the best possible choice for the 4th line, his strengths are elsewhere.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
The head coach has an unfortunate nickname

Not too many people in Finland would get this so its not that unfortunate. Finns totally embraced him and his nickname during his playing years though. (Player with the most international games ever)

Et: Sorry for OT, all I have to say is that those rosters look like killer. I think the ability to score more than defend still works in juniors pretty good ;)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I remember Granlund-Granlund-Pulkkinen being deadly at the U18's, and I would definitely give that trio a shot. This way we'd get Donskoi-Salomäki-Armia as a second good offensive line. I bet there'll be at least 2 or 3 suprising players picked on the time.

You're memory fails you, Donskoi played alongside Mi. Granlund and Pulkkinen.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Kuznetsov is a super-individual and he stole the show late in that quarter-final game, but in my eyes it doesn’t dim the fact that our team played a strong tournament and that was mostly because of having 3 sometimes even 4 lines which were able of creating scoring chances on a regular basis. Having Granlund and Pulkkinen on the same line would work, no doubt about that, but having them on different lines can overall be more beneficial/effective for the team. Both are good playmakers and can make players around them better. Just look at Detroit with Zetterberg and Datsyuk, it depends on the situation when it’s better to have them together or not.

During key moments like end of the period or PP it can be useful to have all your big guns out there at the same time, but generally on even strength it’s IMO a different thing on this occasion. With Granlund, Armia, Pulkkinen, Donskoi, Salomäki and someone who makes a big jump in development it’s possible to have 3 strong tandems. After that you just need to complement those tandems with the right players, and we have 3 strong functional lines. Also, it’s a tight/rigorous schedule, so it’s better to distribute the ice time and responsibilities more evenly before a decisive group stage match or the playoffs. Some might say that it’s also tougher for the opponent to match your top line when you don’t have one. Our defence is weak, so it’s important that all the lines get the puck out of their zone and can keep it in the offensive zone from time to time.

Continuous pressure is effective in hockey, it helps in creating scoring chances and drains the opponent making their game less effective. Having 3 strong lines would make a game plan like this possible, at least on paper. It’s also the way the top teams like Canada, USA and Sweden often play. The best way to counter depth is with having some depth of your own. It’s not good enough if only our top line is able to match the pace and level of play. I’ve seen it on several occasions and it leads to us loosing something like 5-0 in decisive games, if our goalie isn't the star of the game. Last year’s WU18C’s semi-final game against USA ended like that, partly because only Donskoi-Granlund-Pulkkinen line was able to match the level of play.

USA were so dominant in that game that it wouldn't have made any difference had those three played different lines. I suppose yo'd also like to see Ruutu and Koivu, who've always played in the same line in international tournaments, separated in the men's national team? Since neither Granlund nor Pulkkinen are unlikely to play any U-20 tournaments before the WJC it's better to rely on their past and proven chemistry and while letting the other players develop chemistry in the exhibition tournaments prior to the WJC. It was painful at times watching Pulu's passes missed when Haula and co. didn't capitalize, so Pulkkinen needs to play with people who can finish his passes while also set him up (which Haula failed to do far too many times).

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Lets take a shot.

Partanen-Mi. Granlund-Armia
Pulkkinen-Salomäki-Donskoi
Salminen-Ruuttu-Ma. Granlund
Tiitinen-Mustonen-Halinen
Ã…sten

Hakanpää-Riikola
Määttä-Kankaanperä
Pokka-Auvinen
Teppo