Finland Celebrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
About 100k fans celebrating in downtown Helsinki:

vlcsnap2011051705h18m03.png

I think the 100,000 estimate is conservative, I left Kauppatori with my kids at about 8pm (the lions came on stage at 9pm) and then Senaatintori (the square on the right) was also jam packed as were the steps to the church.
Walking up to the car park under Stockmann the streets were not jam-packed but almost of people heading to the area.

I guess the 100,000 estimate is from population per pixel in photos like these? No idea how they come up with them - but there were many many more people in the area who dont appear at least on that picture.
Helsinki center was so fill it felt like there was a million people in the area. Insane.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
We should remember that these provocations are started and totally manufactured by the tabloids and they're doing it to sell their s****y papers and to get more traffic to their *********g websites. And they succeed in it big time.

We don't have to put up with this sh*te. Just say no to the tabloids. God I hate them.

Indeed. So many people love to biatch and complain about tabloids but yet still continue to pay attention to them, which is exactly what they want. They would stop existing in an instant if people would choose to ignore them but they don't so this cycle goes on an on. People who do that are far worse than the people who work for the tabloids, everybody has to get payed somehow.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I hate the tabloids so bad. They make up these provocations before the game, then the other nation's tabloids strike back with their dumb articles and jokes and rub it in. It should be in good fun but some of the stuff is just made up crap that can create hostilities between peoples. Like the Aftonbladet headline that claimed 100 000 people mocking Sweden, which was complete crap.

It's scary to think how much power these newspapers have.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I hate the tabloids so bad. They make up these provocations before the game, then the other nation's tabloids strike back with their dumb articles and jokes and rub it in. It should be in good fun but some of the stuff is just made up crap that can create hostilities between peoples. Like the Aftonbladet headline that claimed 100 000 people mocking Sweden, which was complete crap.

It's scary to think how much power these newspapers have.

Indeed, thanks to aftonbladet I fear there will be a lot of retaliation either now when Sweden faces Finland in football or the next time Sweden wins against Finland in hockey, the tabloids have contributed to whipping up a lot of anger on this side of the border.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Indeed, thanks to aftonbladet I fear there will be a lot of retaliation either now when Sweden faces Finland in football or the next time Sweden wins against Finland in hockey, the tabloids have contributed to whipping up a lot of anger on this side of the border.

Yes. I was teenager when we lost the olympic final to you at 2006 and your media provocated, I with my friends sent aftonbladet a message where we sweared to attack every Swede with violence with my friends, that will come in our sight because of their headlines :laugh:

Thats incredibly stupid but thats how we really felt back then, that it was what we should do, we couldn't take that after the huge disappointment in torino as huge die-hard fans when we were that young. I think those tabloids make lots of bad out of these things sometimes.

SaunaMajuri

May 17, 2011
Tampere Finland
SUOMI :yo:

This is first time at home since sunday and Im still celebrating. Dam Im drunk :help: So drunk that I have never been or maybe 2006 Olympic final made me drink like this but so different reason. Now everyone came GRAZY and atmosphere was incredible. Tampere went wild just after final was ended. In a moment there was someting over 10 000 people with huge emotions and joy:yo:

Poika "the boy" (name of trophy) is starting his tour in Finland. First Turku, Oulu and then Tampere. That means more celebrating all over Finland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAyXzC7iKPA :yo:

Thank you Sweden. You made this more special.:handclap:

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
Didn't Sundin publicly bash the Finnish team before the final game?

Every Finn understands that Sundin was a great player and a great leader... that is the reason why he is so unpopular here in Finland. :laugh: He was the big, bad captain of Tre Kronor and he always killed us in the big games.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
He did say "kind of", hockey means more to finns than swedes usually, and if Sundin (who has spoiled a lot of finnish championships) says something cocky than the most violent finns are gonna do something like that. However, I must have missed something, I only saw Sundin saying "There is nothing called losing against Finland" or whatever, in swedish "Det finns inte att förlora mot Finland", which imo. isn't cocky at all, it proves that it stings to lose against Finland. It certainly does not constitute a jersey burning, I think.

Something may have been lost in translation as well. Somehow I'm guessing the jersey burners probably don't excel in Swedish (or any other language) :)

Anyways, I much prefer the reaction of a another group of Finnish fans who opted to send a flower wreath to Sundin. It had the message "1–6. Mats Sundin, sådant är livet". That is stylish :) Apparently the Swedish embassy did not accept to deliver the flower wreath...

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Something may have been lost in translation as well. Somehow I'm guessing the jersey burners probably don't excel in Swedish (or any other language) :)

Anyways, I much prefer the reaction of a another group of Finnish fans who opted to send a flower wreath to Sundin. It had the message "1–6. Mats Sundin, sådant är livet". That is stylish :) Apparently the Swedish embassy did not accept to deliver the flower wreath...

Well, it's certainly better than burning his jersey. :sarcasm: I guess during the next World Championships where I'm gonna be wearing my Sundin jersey I'll have to wear a flameproof vest under it. :help:

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007
Yes. I was teenager when we lost the olympic final to you at 2006 and your media provocated, I with my friends sent aftonbladet a message where we sweared to attack every Swede with violence with my friends, that will come in our sight because of their headlines :laugh:

Thats incredibly stupid but thats how we really felt back then, that it was what we should do, we couldn't take that after the huge disappointment in torino as huge die-hard fans when we were that young. I think those tabloids make lots of bad out of these things sometimes.

Well, I understand all these comments about tabloids and the hate for them. However, there's a big need for taking a LONG look in the mirror when you're willing to act violently after a sensation tabloid headlines.
Yes, you said that you now understand that you would have acted stupidly, which is a good thing. The same kind of people, though, are the reason tabloids continue to do exactly what they're doing. The lack of critical thinking and questioning is the core and if you fail to understand that it's just a sport (with a seeming rivalry) it results in stupid actions.

That's why the last sentence isn't the real point, it's the people. Die-hard fan could mean so many things.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Well, I understand all these comments about tabloids and the hate for them. However, there's a big need for taking a LONG look in the mirror when you're willing to act violently after a sensation tabloid headlines.
Yes, you said that you now understand that you would have acted stupidly, which is a good thing. The same kind of people, though, are the reason tabloids continue to do exactly what they're doing. The lack of critical thinking and questioning is the core and if you fail to understand that it's just a sport (with a seeming rivalry) it results in stupid actions.

That's why the last sentence isn't the real point, it's the people. Die-hard fan could mean so many things.

Considering that some people are willing to kill you for drawing a cartoon of a man I think it's safe to say that we humans are generally quite *****ed up and will do stupid things when our emotions take a hold of us. Critical thinking or not.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Sundin:

"Yes, of course Sweden will win. Losing against Finland isn't even on the map."

"When we were in the finals in Torino and heard we were gonna go up against Finland, it lit an extra spark."

"I guess it's the same hatelove as between two brothers. If you're facing Finland you don't want to lose. You can feel that it's a special game, a feeling you don't get against other teams."

"What makes it so special to go against Finland?

- I guess it's because we're so close. It always turns into more of a competition when you go against your neighbours. It's extra fun when you win and it stings extra when you lose. I've lost against them too, like the quarterfinals in Nagano 1998, I'll guarantee you that it hurt."

How on earth does this make Sundin an arrogant snob? To me it sounds like something Selänne or Koivu could easily say on the subject of facing Sweden. Keep note that the top sentense is said in a humorous way, something you can't quite make out from the text. He's saying that the attitude when you go against Finland is that losing isn't even on the map; only victory counts.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

Yeah. I bet we weren't only one rageous. It was about that age thought, and it was just a message for aftonbladet, not really that seriouse thing really, just teen age raging :D But the point was, that crap news on tabloids can spread hate and affect relationship between people sometimes, specially when they're drunk and if they start to argue about it.

BTW this is not like "kisabiisi", but still got to post this

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i hope granlund can tear himself away from all those girls to come play in Minnesota next year!

Vaeltaja

May 17, 2011
How on earth does this make Sundin an arrogant snob?
That is how it was read in Finland - ie. giving no respect to the opposing side. Probably understood as continuation to previous blurbs from tabloids which read how happy was Tre Kronor with getting Finns as opponents to the final game as this ensured gold for Tre Kronor.

I assume there was a joke hidden somewhere in the original Swedish texts but it did not translate over to Finnish in any way - so instead of presumably funny blurb in a tabloid the translation ended up being pretty much an outright insult.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Sundin:

"Yes, of course Sweden will win. Losing against Finland isn't even on the map."

"When we were in the finals in Torino and heard we were gonna go up against Finland, it lit an extra spark."

"I guess it's the same hatelove as between two brothers. If you're facing Finland you don't want to lose. You can feel that it's a special game, a feeling you don't get against other teams."

"What makes it so special to go against Finland?

- I guess it's because we're so close. It always turns into more of a competition when you go against your neighbours. It's extra fun when you win and it stings extra when you lose. I've lost against them too, like the quarterfinals in Nagano 1998, I'll guarantee you that it hurt."

How on earth does this make Sundin an arrogant snob? To me it sounds like something Selänne or Koivu could easily say on the subject of facing Sweden. Keep note that the top sentense is said in a humorous way, something you can't quite make out from the text. He's saying that the attitude when you go against Finland is that losing isn't even on the map; only victory counts.

It is the way Iltalehti skew it's headlines. So if you don't read the whole article you don't know what he really says.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
That is how it was read in Finland - ie. giving no respect to the opposing side. Probably understood as continuation to previous blurbs from tabloids which read how happy was Tre Kronor with getting Finns as opponents to the final game as this ensured gold for Tre Kronor.

I assume there was a joke hidden somewhere in the original Swedish texts but it did not translate over to Finnish in any way.

That's really arrogant , then. Sundin has never badmouthed Finland, he was a very respected captain for Tre Kronor and you just don't insult opponents like that. :shakehead

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Oh, Sweden west of Eden! Can we just give it a rest - this is a tabloid war, designed to sell more of these trash papers. Tornedal people are hardly sane by any standards, never mind which side of the river, and if a group of idiots decide to burn a Mats Sundin jersey, I would hardly see it as a very big deal. I would presume to guess that there are idiots even in Sweden (even apart from Aftonbladet and Expressen journalists), so you should know what I'm talking about...

Maalaispoika

May 17, 2011
Savon persiissä
When Finland had won the final in 1995, I went to a restaurant in Jyväskylä. It was packed. The customers were chanting 'Suomi on uusi maailmanmestari, hei, maailmanmestari, hei, maailmanmestari!', which was nice. But half of the time they were chanting 'Thomas Rundqvist är homosexuell, hej, homosexuell, hej, homosexuell!' and that left a bad taste in my mouth.:shakehead

This time I was in tiny weenie town and I had no chance to see how the public celebrated. I hope we have grown since then and the 'lillebror complex' is a thing of the past. There's no need to dis the opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad