Finland Celebrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I've been reading aftonbladet with google translate this morning.. Swedes are so bittersweet now when they loose the Final themself? :laugh: They first provocated before the final, then lost and now complain when they get it back lol this is awesome and gives the most out of this victory.. I see where we finns have gotten our bittersweetness in our hearts. It seems to be common gene with Swedes :D

Please don't make a "Aftonbladet=Swedish people" assumption. ;-)

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
As long as we do it with humor, it's ok? (the bashing part) ;-)

Well, what was it about those pineapple gold medals that were suggested for Finland after Turin, etc. etc.? Can't say I laughed. But I wouldn't get these things out of proportion. There will always be some neighbourly pickering and teasing. Of course it's idiotic when flags are burned and when people start taking silly tabloid provocations (to increase their sales) seriously. So, what about just calming down?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Well, what was it about those pineapple gold medals that were suggested for Finland after Turin, etc. etc.? Can't say I laughed.

I laughed and I feel pretty calm too. :)

Humor is sometimes a bit complicated and people have different limits.

Something that some people think are funny, others think is over the limit?

Some believe that you can joke about anything but that there are inappropriate times to do it?

I loved these too, even as a Swede. ;-)
http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/landslag/hockeyvm2011/article13034564.ab

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
A cantor in one Helsinki suburb's church started ring the bells for the victory in the middle of the night :laugh:

"I'm sorry to all that lost their sleep and to the night guards who came there with a false call"

1137129-max484x290.jpg

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I've been reading aftonbladet with google translate this morning.. Swedes are so bittersweet now when they loose the Final themself? :laugh: They first provocated before the final, then lost and now complain when they get it back lol this is awesome and gives the most out of this victory.. I see where we finns have gotten our bittersweetness in our hearts. It seems to be common gene with Swedes :D

The only people posting on aftonbladet are idiots, never take their opinion as something the majority of the people say. Plus, I read those comments as well and the most thumbed up comments were "Grats Finland, you really deserved it" and "well earned", but for some reason a lot of finnish fans seem to prefer to read the bitter swedish fans, of course there are gonna be bitter fans when we win the silver, but me and most of my friends are happy that Finland finally won another WC, really. I just don't really understand the hate towards Sweden that seems to unite large parts of Finland, it's pretty depressing really. Especially flag burning, which to me is something of the most humiliating things you can do to a country.

Also, a lot of people seem to think that when aftonbladet and expressen write something cocky, the entire nation stands behind it. Despite being popular tabloids, aftonbladet especially is really disliked for its opinions, headlines and views, and just watch Wennerholms/Anrells latest article, where he's being flamed like nothing other.

Last edited:

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
The only people posting on aftonbladet are idiots, never take their opinion as something the majority of the people say. Plus, I read those comments as well and the most thumbed up comments were "Grats Finland, you really deserved it" and "well earned", but for some reason a lot of finnish fans seem to prefer to read the bitter swedish fans, of course there are gonna be bitter fans when we win the silver, but me and most of my friends are happy that Finland finally won another WC, really. I just don't really understand the hate towards Sweden that seems to unite large parts of Finland, it's pretty depressing really. Especially flag burning, which to me is something of the most humiliating things you can do to a country.
Hmmm ok.

The flag was burned in one place, no?

The so called "hate" is similar to all neighbour countries...it's mostly just making fun of each other. This village (haaparanta) that made a fight/flag burning trip to their rival village (haparanda) could happen any weekend. Some idiots with too many beers/vodka in their head.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
flag burning, which to me is something of the most humiliating things you can do to a country.
Flag burning idiot was horrible, i hope that or those guys are in jail by now. Personally can never understand doing that.

Probably finns do notice those bittersweet fans easier because they come to tell their things straight to us many times in things like boards or chats or in xbox live when you play NHL 11 agains them. And our media tells about your headlines, ofc only selected ones.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Hmmm ok.

The flag was burned in one place, no?

The so called "hate" is similar to all neighbour countries...it's mostly just making fun of each other. This village (haaparanta) that made a fight/flag burning trip to their rival village (haparanda) could happen any weekend. Some idiots with too many beers/vodka in their head.

Of course I know it was only reported being burned in one place, but that it should have to take place at all really riled up some people over here.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
Also, a lot of people seem to think that when aftonbladet and expressen write something cocky, the entire nation stands behind it. Despite being popular tabloids, aftonbladet especially is really disliked for its opinions, headlines and views, and just watch Wennerholms/Anrells latest article, where he's being flamed like nothing other.

Fine and agreed but those tabloibs represent your country to foreigners.

You get cocky - and you can rest assured you'll have it rub it in if you fail. Wasn't the first time either.

I don't know about the hate, personally I love me Swedes :) Flag burning though, is way overboard.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I just don't really understand the hate towards Sweden that seems to unite large parts of Finland, it's pretty depressing really.

Most Finns like Sweden, myself counted. You have to understand that Finland is your little brother and because of that, he will mock you when given chance. It's about cultural self confidence. The fact is; Finns and Swedes are almost the same and deep down we all know it.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
Fine and agreed but those tabloibs represent your country to foreigners.

You get cocky - and you can rest assured you'll have it rub it in if you fail. Wasn't the first time either.

I don't know about the hate, personally I love me Swedes :) Flag burning though, is way overboard.

My point is that they really shouldn't. That's like saying The Sun represents the English for example. I personally don't know anyone with that kind of attitude towards finns, maybe that's because I'm in the southern part of the country though, where there aren't any finns and the strongest rivalry is with Denmark.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
We should remember that these provocations are started and totally manufactured by the tabloids and they're doing it to sell their s****y papers and to get more traffic to their *********g websites. And they succeed in it big time.

We don't have to put up with this sh*te. Just say no to the tabloids. God I hate them.

Tree-hugger

Feb 28, 2007
Paris
My point is that they really shouldn't. That's like saying The Sun represents the English for example.

I understand your point, so become a journalist then - and make a difference.

The Sun represents England just fine. Seldom too cocky and extremely hard on their teams. So hard that I'd easily fold under that pressure.

Coog

Nov 2, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I understand your point, so become a journalist then - and make a difference.

The Sun represents England just fine. Seldom too cocky and extremely hard on their teams. So hard that I'd easily fold under that pressure.

Well no, I’m a journalist and I can tell you for a fact that this isn’t the doing of the individual journalists. The editor in chief say: let’s bash the finns, get the people all riled up and sell som more magzines. And the journalists bash the finns, or else they’ll be out of a job. And… it’s pretty darn hard to get a job as a reporter these days.

Ohh by the way, congrats Finland:handclap:. I was so pissed the day after the loss that I couldn't stop by earlier to say this, it was well earned.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004

The flag burning incident was extremely stupid - fortunately there was just one occasion. However, I can kind of understand the fans in Lahti who burned a Sundin Tre Kronor Jersey. He made some cocky remarks before the final. I respect Sundin greatly as a player but maybe not so much as a orator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad