WJC: Finland at the 2011 WJC

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
what's the status of Pulkkinen? I heard he missed today's game because he was sick,when will he be back is it just a minor day or two thing or what?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'm a bit confused. Is Joni Karjalainen (Tappara) on the team?

YLE says he isn't, MTV3 says he is. :huh:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Janne Niinimaa had the previous record, according to Yle.

Well they have it wrong, because Reijo Ruotsalainen held the previous record. Though Ruotsalainen was born on April 1st and Granlund February 26th, I think the WJC in 1976-77 might have been held at a different date than now. FYI, Ruotsalainen had 5 points (2+3) in that tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well they have it wrong, because Reijo Ruotsalainen held the previous record. Though Ruotsalainen was born on April 1st and Granlund February 26th, I think the WJC in 1976-77 might have been held at a different date than now. FYI, Ruotsalainen had 5 points (2+3) in that tournament.
No they don't.

Reijo Ruotsalainen (b. April 1st 1960) was roughly 16 years and 8 months old at the very first WJC that was played from December 22nd 1976 to January 2nd 1977.

Janne Niinimaa (b. 22nd May 1975) was roughly 16 years and 6 months when he played for Finland at WJC from December 26th 1991 to 4th January 1992. So yes, he was the previous record-holder.

Olli Määttä (b. 22nd August 1994) enters the 2011 tournament at 16 years and three months.

Reijo Ruotsalainen was younger than Niinimaa though when he played for Finland at the 1976 (now-defunct) European Junior Championship tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
No they don't.

Reijo Ruotsalainen (b. April 1st 1960) was roughly 16 years and 8 months old at the very first WJC that was played from December 22nd 1976 to January 2nd 1977.

Janne Niinimaa (b. 22nd May 1975) was roughly 16 years and 6 months when he played for Finland at WJC from December 26th 1991 to 4th January 1992. So yes, he was the previous record-holder.

Olli Määttä (b. 22nd August 1994) enters the 2011 tournament at 16 years and three months.

Reijo Ruotsalainen was younger than Niinimaa though when he played for Finland at the 1976 (now-defunct) European Junior Championship tournament.

4 months. ;)

I think that European Junior Championship tournament is maybe regarded as a WJC event, because I remember reading from Jääkiekkolehti way back when that Ruotsalainen was the record holder.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
this is nothing new. hockeyfuture is joke :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was informed via PM that the guy who does slightly ;) better articles re: all things Finland, was unable to do a preview. Looks like the guy who did that obviously did his research from HFBoards posts (ie. going with the El Nino hype). :laugh:

cenas*

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I thought Finland has been terrific at this years WJR's.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Finland will be champion this year !

MARK MY WORDS !!

And i am not Finn at all, but i recognize a super team !

Ok.This is a bold statement to make and I think this your massly overhyping a team which played in a weaker group. Yes they are hard to play against and have played well this tournament but they don't have the depth to match up with Canada, USA and Sweden. We'll see how they do against stronger opponents.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Ok.This is a bold statement to make and I think this your massly overhyping a team which played in a weaker group. Yes they are hard to play against and have played well this tournament but they don't have the depth to match up with Canada, USA and Sweden. We'll see how they do against stronger opponents.
Well we lost to USA in overtime 3-2 so I think we have a change with Canada/Sweden also.

A medal would be awesome.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Well we lost to USA in overtime 3-2 so I think we have a change with Canada/Sweden also.

A medal would be awesome.

Finland always underperforms against the swedes and since they have a lot more depth than we do, i'd say we don't stand a chance against the swedes. Canada is just too good for Finland and same goes for USA, altho we did play really good against them. Czechs and Russia Finland can beat tho, so i'd say a place in the top4 is more than possible.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Finland always underperforms against the swedes and since they have a lot more depth than we do, i'd say we don't stand a chance against the swedes. Canada is just too good for Finland and same goes for USA, altho we did play really good against them. Czechs and Russia Finland can beat tho, so i'd say a place in the top4 is more than possible.

Finland controlled the game against USA so to me this stament has little value.

Finland can beat any country in a one game and can very well get a medal from this tourny.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Im thinking we`re gonna win the bronze at this tournament. Russia/Czech isn`t unbeateble at quaterfinals and other team don`t care about bronze medal game too much.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch

I do not think i overreact.

They are fast, they are technical ... I see them better as the US, as Canada and as Sweden this year. Their goalie can be quite good. The same cannot be said about the 3 other teams.
they are used to small rinks.

This year, it is THE team to avoid ! (the opposite would be the Russians ... although they seem to have awaken now !)

it is my opinion. (this is why i put it with big bold fat letters)

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Our games

2-3 OTL USA
4-0 Switzerland
5-1 Germany
6-0 Slovakia

2, 4, 5, 6 goals for

Sad that only real challenge was the game against USA.

Beat Russia and Sweden. Then it's gold medal game :)

FinnswissX

May 20, 2005
If the Finns play disciplined and on the same level like against the USA I think they have a chance against Russia. Russia doesn't seem so strong this year.

But Sweden and Canada would be too strong for them. Sweden won against Canada and Canada is traditionally too strong for them. I don't know when the Finns won the last time a game against Canada at the WJHC. It must be a very long time ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad