WJC: Finland at the 2011 WJC

Gruntfuttock

Sep 25, 2008
Well, kids only remember the sloppy turnover machine Niinimaa, not the almost elite Niinimaa, that he used to be. It's a pitty.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Well, kids only remember the sloppy turnover machine Niinimaa, not the almost elite Niinimaa, that he used to be. It's a pitty.

I would even go so far to remove that "almost" before elite. He was really that good with the Oilers... Then everything just went wrong.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I would even go so far to remove that "almost" before elite. He was really that good with the Oilers... Then everything just went wrong.

yeah he was really good before something happent :dunno:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
It's actually sad that he's "aki berg" today because he was really good back in the day. He just went down faster than almost anyone I know.
It's kind of ironic you akin Niinimaa to Aki-Petteri, since the young Berg was a big, mean, physical D-man who was solid in his own end 'til that mysterious "something" happened to him too. I actually recall both Niinimaa and Berg being real dependable in the Nagano games.

Niinimaa, being 35 now, started declining with no apparent excuse six to seven years ago, exactly at the age a D-man should be entering his prime. So I guess it's partly justified people only remember him the way he is now. Compare that to, say, Jere Karalahti who has clearly never lost his hockey sense, but had all the problems that affected his career outside the rink. Not that I mean to imply he ought to be cut any more slack because of 'em.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
It's kind of ironic you akin Niinimaa to Aki-Petteri, since the young Berg was a big, mean, physical D-man who was solid in his own end 'til that mysterious "something" happened to him too. I actually recall both Niinimaa and Berg being real dependable in the Nagano games.

I never ever liked Berg. He had every tool to be very good stay at home-defender but he never was... Too soft, except occasional elbowing, no eye for the game.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
The lines are as follows:
Pakarinen-Haula-Pulkkinen
Rajala-Nättinen-Armia
Donskoi-Tuominen-Junttila

Powerplay is going to be with 4 forwards and Vatanen.

Source: Jatkoaika.

Btw, any news on who is gonna be the starting goalie for Finland?Thx!

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
The lines are as follows:
Pakarinen-Haula-Pulkkinen
Rajala-Nättinen-Armia
Donskoi-Tuominen-Junttila

Powerplay is going to be with 4 forwards and Vatanen.

Source: Jatkoaika.

Btw, any news on who is gonna be the starting goalie for Finland?Thx!

Defence pairs:

Jokipakka-Vatanen
Kivistö-Virtanen

Third pair race: Manelius, Määttä, Rissanen, Hakanpää

Malnelius is alternative captain so he is locked in third pair?

FrankTheTank

Jun 1, 2010
Defence pairs:

Jokipakka-Vatanen
Kivistö-Virtanen

Third pair race: Manelius, Määttä, Rissanen, Hakanpää

Malnelius is alternative captain so he is locked in third pair?

I think the final battle is between Määttä and Hakanpää and probably Määttä will win that fight.

Could someone tell me what kind of player is Jesse Virtanen? Pretty good stats in Mestis.

Thanks!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Theoretically, there's one thing that might vouch for Hakanpää: He and Määttä are also the only D-men in this squad who will eligible come the next year compared to now when we have three guys returning from 2010 (Vatanen, Kivistö, Rissanen). The odds are Hakanpää WILL be in by then.

So it might be a purely tactical choice from coach Marjamäki to have at least one guy who can "mentor" all the new blood who will be fresh into these games in 2012. Määttä might not be as effective with this among 19-year-olds at 17.

I know, you should always pick the players that make the best squad and if Määttä fits this bill better than Hakanpää, then he should be it. But since both are presumably battling for the spot of 7th D-man who will be seeing very little icetime if all goes well, it might boil down to what they can bring into the team outside the rink.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
When is Finland expected to announce their final 22-man roster? ie, when are the final cuts expected to come?

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Predicted 18 hour trip from Helsinki to Kitchener took 62 hours... Many flights were cancelled and they missed NHL game Atlanta-Toronto. But now they and their equipment are in Kitchener!

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Naturally, I'm pulling for Hakanpää to make the final cut... but I think it's pretty crappy for whoever gets cut from Team Finland.

To be brought to North America with less than a week to go before the tournament opens, only to be told at the last minute, "hey, sorry, you ain't good enough," is kind of a lousy thing to do to 19-year-old kids.

But that's life, I guess. Good luck to you guys, but I have to honestly say I'll be less interested in Finland's performance if Hakanpää does get cut.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Gotta hope määttä and hakanpää make the final cut, would love to see how they do. I'm also pretty positive salomäki wil be part of the final team

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Finland announced their final roster.
Source: http://yle.fi/urheilu/lajit/jaakiek...e_suomalaista_jaakiekkohistoriaa_2238571.html (in Finnish)

Goalies

Joni Ortio, TPS
Sami Aittokallio, Ilves
Samu Perhonen, JYP

Defense

Jyrki Jokipakka, Ilves
Tommi Kivistö, Jokerit
Nico Manelius, Jokerit
Rasmus Rissanen, Everett Silvertips, WHL
Sami Vatanen, JYP
Olli Määttä, JYP
Jesse Virtanen, Lukko

Offense

Teemu Pulkkinen, Jokerit
Julius Junttila, Kärpät
Henri Tuominen, Ilves
Miikka Salomäki, Kärpät
Iiro Pakarinen, KalPa
Erik Haula, University of Minnesota
Joel Armia, Ässät
Valtteri Virkkunen, Blues
Toni Rajala, Ilves
Joonas Donskoi, Kärpät
Jaakko Turtiainen, HPK
Joonas Nättinen, Blues
Teemu Tallberg, HIFK

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
So Hakanpää and Partanen were final players not to make it.

Olli Määttä becomes youngest ever player to play for Finnish U20 team. Reijo Ruotsalainen held the previous record I think. Mikael Granlund has been only other three-year-underaged to play. But since Granlund was born in February, Ruotsalainen in April and Määttä in August the order is quite clear.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So Hakanpää and Partanen were final players not to make it.

Olli Määttä becomes youngest ever player to play for Finnish U20 team. Reijo Ruotsalainen held the previous record I think. Mikael Granlund has been only other three-year-underaged to play. But since Granlund was born in February, Ruotsalainen in April and Määttä in August the order is quite clear.

Janne Niinimaa had the previous record, according to Yle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad