WC: Finland Roster 2024 U18 World Championship

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Because the better players don´t want to come. That´s the problem every year. We have a tons of declines.

That hasn't been the case the last couple of years but now that the core players who have played under Jalonen all have more gold than Smaug the dragon, they have no incentive to join really. It's good to get some new faces who can be relied on in the future.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kuokkanen cut wow

Koivunen goes to AHL and I think Turunen is injured. Scoring depth looks really bad if we don't get someone from NHL.

Also without Ohtamaa. This pretty much leaves Rissanen as the only quality DFD. Mattila or Vittasmäki then?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Finland looks kind of bad this year. Am I right?

Yeep. Should've started the rebuild 2 years ago. This is the result when he have nobody to pick now that the old guard is starting to retire / decline from the national team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Should've started the rebuild 2 years ago.
You mean around the time we won an Olympic gold and WC gold on home ice? I'm kind of glad they didn't.

I admit, in hindsight, Jalonen should have started looking for some fresh blood in 2023, as the team last year was kinda stale. Easy to understand why he played it safe, though. But he is rebuilding now, so... having a no-name team this year versus having that no-name team last year, is there really a major difference? Unless we had scores of promising upcoming players last season who just disappeared somewhere over the year?

And let's imagine that he had started the rebuild last spring, picked a no-name team... and it doesn't perform like it's 2019. You can bet that people would have said that he should have picked more of his old familiars if they were available.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
I said after the 2022 Worlds that Finland should rebuilt the national team core, because the old core won everything, there wasn't any hunger left. But the 2023 tournament was another home tournament, so "let's try one more time boys"-mentality was understandable. But like captain Kariluoto, Finland felled on the battleground.

Jalonen is doing a massive favor for Pennanen, new coach with poor results right from the start would be in a hotseat immediately.

Reactions: JJTT

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Any word if Puustinen or Puljujarvi will get the call? Puus doesn't have a contract though.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Any word if Puustinen or Puljujarvi will get the call?
Pulju said that he's coming if invited. No idea if the management's interested, though. They've still got a few practice games left, so perhaps he'll get a look.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kuokkanen cut wow

Koivunen goes to AHL and I think Turunen is injured. Scoring depth looks really bad if we don't get someone from NHL.

Also without Ohtamaa. This pretty much leaves Rissanen as the only quality DFD. Mattila or Vittasmäki then?
why in earth would we pick those shitty players? and if Jalonen picks those? i'm thinking both Jalonen and Lehtinen has lost
it and my image of both, especially Jalonen, is going down a notch or two....

also, lets wait the first NHL (and AHL) play-offs round before naming the team.. for once.. for crying out loud, now there's a huge chance for that,
because this year, the WC starts a bit later what previous years.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Surely, one can pick a team with 3 scoring line and 1 defensive line WC roster from these players
(or 2 x 2) and offensive/defensive d-pairs

why pick from Europe??? well one answer would be, Jukka Jalonen is a huge coward, probably biggest
reason why he is still a coach in Europe and rumors say he is going to Switzerland next... :(

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
when i look at that current WC camp roster... scary, nervous laughter with a shake and oy vey...

if we can't get any NHL/AHL guys, or not even the minimum from NA, which i think would be, 7 forwards and 3 d-men
no medal for us, its gonna look how team Sweden did at that one time... barely escaping the relegation fight...

bleak, bleak i tell ya

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad