Niilopekka Muhonen - Sebastian Soini
Eelis Marila - Mitja Jokinen
Niklas Nykyri
Bruno Jalasti

Petteri Rimpinen
Kim Saarinen
Otto Hannikainen

Top challengers: Amhamdi, Pikkarainen, Uusikartano, Vikla, Viuhkola, Välilä
Top underage challengers: Kotajärvi, Kämäräinen, Mensonen, Orpana, Paju, Saari, Westergård

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Reactions: SantosHalper

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
What type coach Marko Kauppinen is?
Next year we host U18 WJC's and i don't wanna ashame my eyes out off my head.

So i have big expections next years U18 WJC's
and only gold satisfy me everything else result is a total flop.

2006 born age group is supposed to be good and having lots quality prospects like Kiviharju etc.
Hopefully that shows on the ice every freaking game and players will give 150% all the time.
So Kauppinen has alot to prove as a coach because i don't know nothing about him
except that he's former SM liiga dman and U20 WJC gold medalist 1998 U20 WJC's.

If Kauppinen cannot coach his team to medals in home U18 WJC's
then he's another Tomi Lämsä type of coach who should be banned of all national team coaching.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
What type coach Marko Kauppinen is?
Marko Kauppinen at eliteprospects.com
No idea, not much experience. But that's not necessary a bad thing, no bad habits, fresh ideas etc...

Kauppinen was the only coach brought home a medals this season. U17 WHC bronze and European Youth Olympic Winter Festival bronze medal as well. U17 WHC bronze is only the 2nd medal ever for Finland in that tournament. I would be cautiously optimistic.
Since when? I thought that Espoo and Vantaa were going to be the hosts?
Back in March Kuopio applied and Rovaniemi applied as well. But Espoo and Vantaa won.
Kuopio ja KalPa hakevat junioreiden jääkiekon MM-kisoja
Rovaniemi hakee nuorten jääkiekon MM-kisoja

I posted my post back in April. Host cities were announced yesterday.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
U18 Hlinka teams plays vs Finland U19 challenger team today. Streams starts 17 but match 18? on Leijonat TV

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Reactions: macbowes

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I read Bruno Jalasti was left off the team because he’s going to the CHL. Could that be accurate or he wasn’t really going to make the team anyway?

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Väisänen played in the last game U18 game against U19 Challenger team. I thought he was quite invisible in that game. Not sure how much he played.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
2006 born batch is easily the best since -98 born. Luckily our drought didn't last for too long.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
2006 born batch is easily the best since -98 born. Luckily our drought didn't last for too long.
Based on what?
To me 2006 looks mediocre age-group outside of Kiviharju, Helenius and Suoniemi.

So far Kiviharju and Helenius are only 1st rounders for 2024 NHL draft.
Suoniemi can surprise if / when he has very good season where-ever he plays and good U18 WJC's.

Rest players ( Hemming etc ) are all likely rounds 2-7 picks if even that.
Especially goalie Saarinen didn't impress me in Canada game
and same i can say about Rimpinen in Switzerland game.

Goaltending is absolutely a weakness for U18 WJC's.
Powerplay, scoring effiency, powerplay's playmaking, coaching, defence are all questionmarks.

Hopefully Kauppinen figures out all questionmarks before U18 WJC's.
But i wouldn't hold my breath to wait that happen because
i have absolute zero trust on liitto's judgement
and decision making last years.

Reactions: Jukurit

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I haven't been very impressed with this age group. Some good players but overall "meh". I'm starting to think this age group is actually quite overrated.

Reactions: ChicagoBullsFan

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I haven't been very impressed with this age group. Some good players but overall "meh". I'm starting to think this age group is actually quite overrated.
Switzerland game was absolutely totally bullshit game.
Finland played like 80 yrs old grandmothers as slowly and as passive.

I decided to skip Slovakia game just because my mental health and blood-pressure.
I'm not at all sure anymore of that Marko Kauppinen is legit hockey coach any level.

But also i'm not sure of that either Finland is medal contender in 2024 U18 WJC's.
if we look that how those guys played vs Switzerland but thank god it was only 1 game.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Yep, not really that much talent on the offensive end with Helenius and Kiviharju missing. Sinivuori-Suoniemi-Hemming looked decent today, but really need more from Saarelainen and Vesterinen. Most of the third and fourth liners lack any offensive skills.

Also only one right handed forward? Really there wasn't anyone they could've picked instead on all of these grinders made out of same mold?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Yep, not really that much talent on the offensive end with Helenius and Kiviharju missing. Sinivuori-Suoniemi-Hemming looked decent today, but really need more from Saarelainen and Vesterinen. Most of the third and fourth liners lack any offensive skills.

Also only one right handed forward? Really there wasn't anyone they could've picked instead on all of these grinders made out of same mold?
Kasper Pikkarainen and Nooa Viuhkola are quite interchangeable with Sinivuori and Heinänen. Next best skill forwards would be guys like Matti Butkovskiy and Leo Tuuva and guys like that but I don't think they would be difference makers this team. This is it pretty much the best roster minus Helenius on offence

Maybe Westergård or Orpana or guys like that could have improved from 07

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Based on what?
To me 2006 looks mediocre age-group outside of Kiviharju, Helenius and Suoniemi.

So far Kiviharju and Helenius are only 1st rounders for 2024 NHL draft.
Suoniemi can surprise if / when he has very good season where-ever he plays and good U18 WJC's.

Rest players ( Hemming etc ) are all likely rounds 2-7 picks if even that.
Especially goalie Saarinen didn't impress me in Canada game
and same i can say about Rimpinen in Switzerland game.

Goaltending is absolutely a weakness for U18 WJC's.
Powerplay, scoring effiency, powerplay's playmaking, coaching, defence are all questionmarks.

Hopefully Kauppinen figures out all questionmarks before U18 WJC's.
But i wouldn't hold my breath to wait that happen because
i have absolute zero trust on liitto's judgement
and decision making last years.
I understand that you are pessimistic and hate everything about Finnish hockey at the moment but please. Hemming etc. 2-7 if even that, well there's almost a full season ahead and Hemming is as of today ranked ~late first and early second round.

Helenius and Kiviharju are the best prospects in recent few years, Väisänen is another great one. You are jumping into conclusions based on couple games in Hlinka, which btw hasn't been ever very strong tournament for us even with strong rosters and we are missing top players.

We won Canada, had an off game against Switzerland (which happens with kids this young) and you are ready to state that this age group is overrated. C'mon man :D

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Getting completely and totally dominated by Czechia. Holy moly this team is bad. 2006 looks like a very weak age group outside of Kiviharju and Helenius.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I'm starting to think that Kauppinen is a bad coach. When he was Jukurit's head coach in Liiga the team played very bad. Some very brutal losses like the 11-1 loss to HIFK. Why does this guy even have the job of U18 head coach?!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I understand that you are pessimistic and hate everything about Finnish hockey at the moment but please. Hemming etc. 2-7 if even that, well there's almost a full season ahead and Hemming is as of today ranked ~late first and early second round.

Helenius and Kiviharju are the best prospects in recent few years, Väisänen is another great one. You are jumping into conclusions based on couple games in Hlinka, which btw hasn't been ever very strong tournament for us even with strong rosters and we are missing top players.

We won Canada, had an off game against Switzerland (which happens with kids this young) and you are ready to state that this age group is overrated. C'mon man :D
If 2006 really is one of the best junior age-groups in Finland
IT SHOULD SHOW SOMEWHERE but it doesn't show anywhere at all.

Hemming and Suoniemi might rise to 1st round in 2024 NHL draft.
But outside of Helenius, Kiviharju, Hemming and Suoniemi this age group is mediocre as hell.

Getting completely and totally dominated by Czechia. Holy moly this team is bad. 2006 looks like a very weak age group outside of Kiviharju and Helenius.
Yep that was freaking ugly game for Finland.
Kauppinen has lots of job to do before U18 WJC's.

Without massive changes of goaltending and defence
i don't see this age group winning any medal in U18 WJC's
and seriously said even advancing to quarterfinals in U18 WJC's reguires a lot of luck.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad