Finish this sentence: Jacob Trouba is a...# ? defenceman

Trouba is a:

• Total voters

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
#2 right now. I want him to finish a season with 23-24min a game playing solid D and hitting close to 50 points.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Given that he was on the top pair of a very good team last year if you don't have him as a #1 or #2 you are simply showing us all how wrong you can be. The only real question is whether Trouba is the #1 or Morrissey is the #1. IMO Trouba's a more dynamic player at this point and is the better of the two.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
A 2 who wants to be paid as a one sadly or just wants to leave Jets. Guy has all the ability to be a 1 but needs to step up as I think he hasn't hit his ceiling.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Depends on which team he is playing for! I think he is 2/3 on his current team, would be top pairing on the Leafs,but 2nd pairing at best on the Blues,etc. Right now I think he can be ranked as a #2 generally speaking but not gonna be 'the guy' ever!

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Whoever says number 1 d-man right now, I heavily disagree with that opinion. Not many number 1 dmen out there and he isn't it. I would say he is a good number 2 or a very very good number 3.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
#2 D-man currently. Could still become a #1 down the line though. Injuries have hindered his progress a bit, so if he can stay relatively healthy for the next couple of years, he's probably going to cash in huge as a UFA.

Reactions: klozge

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I think it’s a silly poll topic because not everyone labels D that way. Personally, I see most pairings as an anchor and a “complementary” guy. Pairings with two anchor-capable guys, like Provorov-Ghost for example, I feel are the exception and not the norm. More importantly, a D operates in terms of pairs so it makes sense to view D in terms of what pairing they could anchor.

Trouble could be a #2, but literally anyone could be a #2 on a team if the #1 is carrying it enough. Which they probably are because they’re a #1. So I’d call Trouba a second pairing D or a #3 since he could anchor a second pairing reliably.

Reactions: Marrner

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Definitely #3. If he's your second best dman you ain't winning shit unless if your #1 is like Doughty or Hedman.

Marrner

May 27, 2017
Like most said I think it depends on ur definition of a number 1/2 d man.. I voted number 2 cause I believe he can play first line but not carry it and he could carry 2nd line easily. He needs another number 1 or 2 dman on his line. That being said he is still learning, and if he stays healthy he could easily be a number 1

Marrner

May 27, 2017
Like most said I think it depends on ur definition of a number 1/2 d man.. I voted number 2 cause I believe he can play first line but not carry it and he could carry 2nd line easily. He needs another number 1 or 2 dman on his line. That being said he is still learning, and if he stays healthy he could easily be a number 1

Just my opinion... If you look at the worst defensive team in the league, he would easily be their number 1.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Trouba is a good player. He's a strong 2nd pairing guy on any team in the league.......so he's a "#3". He doesn't control PP's well enough, or score enough to be considered a top pairing guy, IMO. Very good shut down guy with some offensive flare at times.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Trouba is a good player. He's a strong 2nd pairing guy on any team in the league.......so he's a "#3". He doesn't control PP's well enough, or score enough to be considered a top pairing guy, IMO. Very good shut down guy with some offensive flare at times.
So Lindholm, Slavin and Vlasic are 2nd pairing guys?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Below is the list of defensemen who have produced points at the highest rate at 5v5 in the last two years. The cutoff is 1000 minutes.

Brent Burns
Erik Karlsson
Dougie Hamilton
Andrei Markov
Mikhail Sergachev
Victor Hedman
John Klingberg
Roman Josi

...and at 9, Jacob Trouba.

So, this defensemen who supposedly isn't good enough offensively to be a #1 would have been the highest scoring defenseman on 25 different teams in the last two years. Y'all must be watching some f***ing awful defenses.

He is an excellent shutdown defenseman. We know this, because he plays the toughest minutes on the team, sheltering less talented defensemen. Even still, he has had some excellent results in terms of xG, ranking him near the top of all defensemen. Here is where shots are coming from with Trouba on the ice. (hint: at both ends, the results are great relative to his teammates)

troubja94

troubja94

They also tell you that Trouba doesn't drive his pairing. Except that it is literally what he has done for the entirety of his career. Always being the one who elevates the pairing, regardless of what shit he has been given to work with. Everybody does better with Trouba than without.

Jacob Trouba is a #1 defenseman, and it requires irrational hatred or ignorance to claim otherwise.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He was playing a shutdown role on the top pairing on one of the best teams in the league this past season and has been one the most efficient Defenseman at 5v5 scoring the past 2 seasons. His PP scoring is underwhelming but it can be argued he hasn't gotten consistent time on the PP. I think he can definitely play the John Carlson role on PP1 where he makes a one time pass to set up Laine/Scheifele for PP goals from the left dot/slot. However you want to denote his usage into a number is upto you (it's quite arbitrary and definition changes from one person to the next), but he has produced some great results for the Jets. I'll go with #2 with room to be #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad