Financial Boycott of Melnyk-owned Senators

Are you going to financially support a Melnyk owned team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't see how it helps the team afford the players we all want to watch...

You say this like the organization doesn't nickle-and-dime like a miserly Victorian-era villainous skinflint even when fans are on board with the plan.

Almost every terrible thing that has happened to this organization over the past half decade has happened, either directly or indirectly, because of a refusal to spend money.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I don't see how it helps the team afford the players we all want to watch, but ok gang. Won't look good on this city but knock yourselves out.
The team made money last year and cut payroll.

Eugene has made it clear that fan spending doesnt increase payroll.

Reactions: Gesus

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The team made money last year and cut payroll.

Eugene has made it clear that fan dpendinv doesnt increase payroll.

I wonder if that's a sign he doesn't plan to be here much longer. If he knows he's going to sell soon, why not minimize how much money your spending on the team and try to keep some money.

Reactions: Sensung

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think the 2nd home game of the season should be where the fans protest. Put it out on social media and flood the radio that fans should just boycott game #2 as a way to show the NHL /Melnyk that fans are sticking together and are angry. Set a record for least attended game in the last 25 years.

Reactions: Zebra

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think the 2nd home game of the season should be where the fans protest. Put it out on social media and flood the radio that fans should just boycott game #2 as a way to show the NHL /Melnyk that fans are sticking together and are angry. Set a record for least attended game in the last 25 years.
Need to wait to see what they do with Karlsson. If they trade him, that is the time to start organizing.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You say this like the organization doesn't nickle-and-dime like a miserly Victorian-era villainous skinflint even when fans are on board with the plan.

Almost every terrible thing that has happened to this organization over the past half decade has happened, either directly or indirectly, because of a refusal to spend money.

It will only get worse if revenue takes a major nose dive, which it looks to be what will happen, even if Karlsson signs. Yeah, we are not blessed with a billionaire spend happy owner, but killing revenues will only justify what will be a cap floor team. If everyone is cool with that, then fine I guess. But he ain't selling.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Your memory's pretty short if you don't remember Daniel Alfredsson, for one.

Anyone else?

I won't hash that all up anyways, but it looked like someone was promised something that the GM felt he didn't, and in the end it was the disrespect that made him leave, but they were going to give him what he wanted. Alfie had already made up his mind. Clumsy for sure.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It will only get worse if revenue takes a major nose dive, which it looks to be what will happen, even if Karlsson signs. Yeah, we are not blessed with a billionaire spend happy owner, but killing revenues will only justify what will be a cap floor team. If everyone is cool with that, then fine I guess. But he ain't selling.
We're already a cap floor team! He clearly doesn't need a reason to justify it! Nobody's asking for a billionaire spend-happy owner. We're asking for an owner who will invest in his product, which Melnyk does not appear remotely interested in doing.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
We're a cap floor team when we are making money so what's the difference? He doesn't spend then we don't spend

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

So I want to ask this seriously, not joking, just curious to know where you stand on this: What does Melnyk have to do for you to finally say "I've had enough"?

I'm not picking on you here. I just know there are some fans on this site who are more... forgiving of Melnyk's tenure as owner. I'm legitimately just trying to figure out where the line in the sand is for some of the fans who haven't reached their breaking point yet. Are you OK with anything Melnyk does short of relocating the team? Is there something that can happen before we get to that point that will... I don't mean to say that you'll ever give up on the team, I don't think barely any of us are at the point where we're going to throw our fan card away and just pick a new team (personally, I'll never get to that point, but thats just me), but maybe something will happen where you say "I love this team, but enough is enough until something changes here"?

Again, I'm not trying to dig at you. I just want to understand the mindset of some of the fans who haven't felt like they have to tap out yet and watch from the sidelines?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I really hope this picks up if Karlsson leaves, like a website with a pledge list, and actual game protests/boycotts

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Melnyck doesn’t care one lick about Nicholas Ruskowski under the bus, he did it to Cyril Leeder who worked for him loyalty for 12 years and a sports stadium player in Tom Anselmi - you think he cares what Nickolas Ruskowku thinks.

This is an owner who through Alfie, EK, Redden, his own fans, Sudney Crosby, other owners and the overly polite sports media under the bus.

He stood up and said 2 days after Jon Pitre died that he had Hebhardest job in Ottawa.

Melnyck doesn’t care about anything besides Eugene Melnyck. He doesn’t care about the city, about the players, the fans, our money spent.

Melnyck is a selfish Douche

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We’re already inspired by the model of an expansion team. Our spending can’t get any lower.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Not a dime until he is forced to sell.

Earlier during the season I said in jest that the fans buying tickets are the problem. Well now that we know that Eugene needs to have the value of his asset lowered in order to come to an agreeable price, we need to boycott this owner and cut off his revenue stream.

Any fan who spends money on the Sens is a part of the problem and is acting against the best interests of the team.

Be part of the solution, starve this f***er out!

Reactions: Stylizer1

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We're a cap floor team when we are making money so what's the difference? He doesn't spend then we don't spend

When were we a cap floor team? I have always seen middle of the pack. Maybe this year will be different.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm confused, if they re-sign EK as so many want them to do, are you still going to boycott & not attend games? Why would they re-sign EK if people are still not going to games? Is this boycott contingent on EK being re-signed?

Which is it?
1. Boycott all Sens games & souvenirs no matter what happens until EM sells the team?
............... OR .........................
2. End the boycott, if EK is re-signed?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm confused, if they re-sign EK as so many want them to do, are you still going to boycott & not attend games? Why would they re-sign EK if people are still not going to games? Is this boycott contingent on EK being re-signed?

Which is it?
1. Boycott all Sens games & souvenirs no matter what happens until EM sells the team?
............... OR .........................
2. End the boycott, if EK is re-signed?
The issue around re-signing EK is a symptom of a problem that will not be solved until this owner is gone.

#MelnykGTFO

Reactions: Rand0m
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad