Speculation: Finally the year the TDL becomes full value?

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Every year, year in, year out, there's so much hype surrounding the deadline and it inevitably flops. This year it's so quiet. We're just over a week away and there's barely a rumor. I'm guessing we see some major blockbusters go down, completely unexpected.

Here's hoping...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Every year people have this ridiculous belief that "this is gonna be the year where everything happens"

Every year its wrong.

If anything, this year should be even more boring than previous years. Very few teams are actually out of it. And the teams that are out, a lot of them actually dont have any attractive UFA pieces available for trade. Take San Jose for example.

This is gonna be one of the slowest, least impactful deadlines in a long time. You'll see a few teams like Boston, Colorado, and St. Louis load up with some depth pieces but you wont see any blockbuster deals. Nobody of that ilk is actually available.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Every year, year in, year out, there's so much hype surrounding the deadline and it inevitably flops. This year it's so quiet. We're just over a week away and there's barely a rumor. I'm guessing we see some major blockbusters go down, completely unexpected.

Here's hoping...

The NHL doesn't do major blockbusters very often. Certainly not at the trade deadline. I am not sure what your definition of blockbuster is but its going to be pending ufas on losing teams getting moved for futures. No hockey deals with star players going back and forth. That's for sure

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Sorry kids, since 2005 it’s really been nothing, salary cap era, etc. With draft picks more valuable due to said cap era, and now any team not making the playoffs having a glimmer of hope for a chance at the 1st, it’s even a bigger nothing.

Reactions: KingsFan7824

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Blockbusters are dead.

You will see the usual "ufa rental" traded for fourth round picks all day, and watch the TSN crew make fun of all the hype surrounding the day.

When the hosts of the show are too jaded to sell it, you know its jumped the shark.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
The draft is where all the fun action happens. Hard to make hockey trades during the year when half the teams are up against the cap.

if every team is allowed a free buy out as part of the next cba than you might see a fun deadline in the 22-23 season. Until then it’s going to be a fairly boring event with few big hockey deals.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I thought last seasons deadline was fairly eventful (in comparison to some of the previous ones). There was a few more bigger names on the market and blue jackets and sens were busy.

I can see this one being a bit more lack lustre. Less impact players on the market. But maybe it is busy with lesser bottom pairing D’s or bottom/middle 6 types? Here’s to hoping this week starts to pick up some momentum!

Reactions: Kallio

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Most of the buyers have little cap room.

Most of the teams are not eliminated yet, meaning there are likely more buyers than sellers.

There have already been a few bigger, market setting trades during the season.

The media will hype the day up, then hype up the trade of a conditional 7th rounder for waiver fodder as ground breaking and a franchise defining move. Wash, rinse, repeat.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Most of the buyers have little cap room.

Most of the teams are not eliminated yet, meaning there are likely more buyers than sellers.

There have already been a few bigger, market setting trades during the season.

The media will hype the day up, then hype up the trade of a conditional 7th rounder for waiver fodder as ground breaking and a franchise defining move. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Media hasn't hyped this year up at all.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Does anyone keep a list of winners who acquired a star player at the TDL? Since only one team can win, by extension, there can be only one successful TDL acquisition each year.

For example, Blues only got Del Zotto last year, and I'm not sure he played all of the PO, so had to be depth. Didn't work out spectacularly.

a link to an older article, but runs down the value of trades at TDL to the eventual champs post lockout. Most teams did get some help from their additions.

Big moves at Trade Deadline not vital to winning Cup

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Does anyone keep a list of winners who acquired a star player at the TDL? Since only one team can win, by extension, there can be only one successful TDL acquisition each year.

For example, Blues only got Del Zotto last year, and I'm not sure he played all of the PO, so had to be depth. Didn't work out spectacularly.

a link to an older article, but runs down the value of trades at TDL to the eventual champs post lockout. Most teams did get some help from their additions.

Big moves at Trade Deadline not vital to winning Cup
Most winner do not get a star, but rather depth guys. If your trading for a star then you probably arent comfortable with the current team and meshing new guys is harder than most think

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Most winner do not get a star, but rather depth guys. If your trading for a star then you probably arent comfortable with the current team and meshing new guys is harder than most think

Last "big name" to move at a deadline on a team that made the final was Carter.

Before that was Hossa.

Reactions: themelkman

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Teams have to miss. Let it be obvious they're going to miss and make the trade deadline interesting again.

Yes, have more teams blatantly out of the playoff race earlier in the season. I'm sure local ticket sales and TV numbers will be unharmed. You clearly understand the business side of these matters: Your interest in personnel transactions is more financially valuable to the league than, you know, all that other shit.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Yes, have more teams blatantly out of the playoff race earlier in the season. I'm sure local ticket sales and TV numbers will be unharmed. You clearly understand the business side of these matters.

Pacific would be the only division that would open up a bit more. Teams now that are out and their fans already know there's almost no chance aren't going to change.

3 point system might actually give teams better chance to climb back in. Team gets 1 point for a shootout loss, the team that's after them gets 2 for a well played regulation game.

You should apply to the NHL. Being so short sided makes you a shoe in to get a job.

The playoff format sucks and likely costs the NHL money, but they don't care there.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There will be a total of 0 block busters...it will just be rentals changing teams. It's a waste of time.

NHL can never match the NBA in that sense where there are blockbusters every damn season.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is how I look at it--there are now hundreds of on line people who claim to be trade breakers and both tsn and sportsnet have 5 guys each who call themselves insiders or trade breakers.

Of the last say ten trades--how many of them were mentioned say 72 hours before the trade happening? Like today, we had the Greene trade--in the last 7 days did any of the trade breakers on TV or on line have Greene to the NYI? Many said greene was available and most people already knew that without being told it. But did any of them PRIOR to this weekend have Greene to the NYI

TSN has their trade board that now has up to 50 players on it? For me that is just them trying to create buzz to get more eyes on their deadline show

I do not see that many trade taking place--not at the level tsn, sportsnet and twitter people are saying

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Pacific would be the only division that would open up a bit more. Teams now that are out and their fans already know there's almost no chance aren't going to change.

3 point system might actually give teams better chance to climb back in. Team gets 1 point for a shootout loss, the team that's after them gets 2 for a well played regulation game.

You should apply to the NHL. Being so short sided makes you a shoe in to get a job.

The playoff format sucks and likely costs the NHL money, but they don't care there.

The entire point is it creates a mirage of parity and keeps mediocre teams artificially closer to a playoff berth than they otherwise would be. That means the races last longer into the season and people have incentive to continue attending and watching games.

Not sure how the math works for the 3-point system, but based on the ESPN projection from a month ago it actually wouldn't change those margins that much. But your stated goal of making more teams and games irrelevant earlier season is the exact opposite of what a pro sports league wants to do.

The phrase is "short-sighted," by the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad