Final Swedish WJC roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
helicecopter said:
btw predatore, considering also that Bergfors has been cleared to play, can we expect Sweden to be more competitive than in recent years? (i would think so)
What about the goalie?

Yes. However, it looks like many countries are having 'good years' and what should be considered a god finish for the Swedes is a 4-5th place IMO (Sweden has nothing on Canada, USA and Russia.. but then again, anything can happen in one single game... so...).

The finns look stronger on paper, as do the Czechs, but Sweden will have a team full of SEL regulars with great pace in their play which is not the case usually for the Swedes.

formsoldier*

I gotta post this before it's too late..

But on what Swedish channel will I be able to catch the Junior games?

I really wanna see Sweden vs Russia as Malkin AND Salmonsson will be playing!

Fellow Swedes, help me :)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Richard_Zednik said:
are you positive? i mean akerlund was drafted and larsson wasnt

That doesn't have to mean anything. Trevor Kidd got drafted 11th overall. Eddie Belfour never got drafted at all. I'm not making any comparisons, but Larsson has been playing better than Ã…kerlund this year. It should count for something.

formsoldier said:
I gotta post this before it's too late..

But on what Swedish channel will I be able to catch the Junior games?

I really wanna see Sweden vs Russia as Malkin AND Salmonsson will be playing!

Fellow Swedes, help me :)

As every year, it will not be shown on any channel. Your only chance to see anything of it is that if sweden reaches the final and wins the gold, you might get to see 15 seconds of highlights on Sportnytt.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Richard_Zednik said:
are you positive? i mean akerlund was drafted and larsson wasnt
Im sure it means something in Canada most of the times. But here in Sweden it doesn´t matter a diddely thing. Lots of the times the best players in an agegroup aren´t even drafted, while other swedish players are.

Christofer Löfberg was drafted in the third round.. he isn´t even close of making the team. Fredrik Näslund was drafted in fourth round.. he isn´t even close making the team. Patrik Hersley was drafted in fifth round.. he was close making the team, but was cut from as one of the last players. Richard Demén-Willaume was drafted in the fifth round.. he wasn´t even selected for the camp... etc etc. While there are four defenseman who are better than him on the team, but who are not drafted. You see how it goes?

Here in Sweden it doesn´t matter, and being drafted is not a sign that you are any better than anyone else. Its the harsh truth, and its also has to do a lot with size obviously.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Cerebral said:
I noticed that... is there any particular reason why? He was one of the scoring leaders in the last WJC's so you'd think that he'd be a lock to be a top 10 guy this year...
I'd love to hear some reasons why he's not producing this year. Salmonsson has been a huge disappointment in the W. One Spokane fan had said earlier that he had been their best player, but I can't see how that's possible anymore. He's 10th in scoring for them right now.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
so is this Nicklas Backstrom kid the real deal?

How would you compare him to say the sedins at their draft age or even last years swedish player Bergstrom I believe it was.

Is he worthy of a top 10 selection in 06'.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Chrisd said:
so is this Nicklas Backstrom kid the real deal?

How would you compare him to say the sedins at their draft age or even last years swedish player Bergstrom I believe it was.

Is he worthy of a top 10 selection in 06'.

So far he looks like the real deal. He's playing on Brynäs' first line and has been given a big responsibility by coach Leif Boork. He's better than Bergfors IMO and on pair with the Sedins, just not as hyped as them.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
WVpens said:
I'd love to hear some reasons why he's not producing this year. Salmonsson has been a huge disappointment in the W. One Spokane fan had said earlier that he had been their best player, but I can't see how that's possible anymore. He's 10th in scoring for them right now.

In Spokane he just hasnt been able to finish but hes getting alot of chances. Hes easily the fastest guy on the team and has shown to be more of a playmaker so far this year. In the beginning of the year he was the most dangerous player on the team, as the years gone on the grind of the WHL seems to be catching up to him. I really wouldnt consider him a huge disappointment, hes just got some things to work on which is mainly his finishing and consitency on a nightly basis. He had a injury to his shoulder before the season started so that with him still getting used to the NA style of game is a possible reason for his slow start. Most Chief fans are hoping he comes back from WJ's with his confidence back.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
chiefmonarch said:
In Spokane he just hasnt been able to finish but hes getting alot of chances. Hes easily the fastest guy on the team and has shown to be more of a playmaker so far this year. In the beginning of the year he was the most dangerous player on the team, as the years gone on the grind of the WHL seems to be catching up to him. I really wouldnt consider him a huge disappointment, hes just got some things to work on which is mainly his finishing and consitency on a nightly basis. He had a injury to his shoulder before the season started so that with him still getting used to the NA style of game is a possible reason for his slow start. Most Chief fans are hoping he comes back from WJ's with his confidence back.
Thanks for the update. What line does he play on and what kind of minutes does he usually get? Any special teams?

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
An Ape called Yoko said:
Im really upset that big winger Anton Hedman (Sudbury Wolves) didn´t make the team. He wasn´t even selected for the camp... :shakehead

Yep, I really agree. Hedman is an abouslote force with the Wolves - he scores, he fights and he even chips in on the defense. 24 points in 31 games is very good, considering the Wolves are a defense first team (our defense core has 2 NHL draftees, and 2 players that where invited to camps.)

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
WVpens said:
Thanks for the update. What line does he play on and what kind of minutes does he usually get? Any special teams?

He bounces between the first and second lines. The 2nd line suits him best as its the speed line for the Chiefs with Salmo and Grabner from Austria being to fast sob's. Hes also on the 2nd PP unit and gets the occasional PK shift when the coach see a chance to exploit a slow defense putting him and Grabner out to create chances shorthanded. Ive never tracked how much time hes on the ice for but Id guess around 15 minutes take a few maybe.

SChan*

Nicklas Backstrom has been called the next Forsberg here, which of course is big words. However, I have seen my local team Brynas play several times this winter and Backstrom is dominating! This is very rare for a 18 year old in SEL.

He is actually very like Forsberg in playing style as he has great stickhandling, and like to assist instead of score. He can also play the physical game very well.

Watch out for this kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad