Euro: Final: Italy vs England (Part 3)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Empirically, the hottest WC on record was in Italy.

The hottest World Cup finals

That's not empirical at all actually. That chart merely plots the average June high temperatures in the cities where the Final was hosted. The 1994 World Cup final was in L.A. which everyone knows isn't that bad temperature-wise in early summer thanks to June Gloom (though it was actually very hot the day of the Final which of course also took place well into July) but many matches of the World Cup were played elsewhere with very different conditions.

The Germany-South Korea match for instance was played in Dallas and kicked off at 3 pm - when temperatures in Dallas were at 99 degrees. Notably the Cotton Bowl - designed for college football in the fall - does not provide any shade whatsoever.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
1978-1986 those were the best 2 world cups. Followed by 1990 and 2014. Distant 3 and 4th spot. The rest should be stricken from the record IMO.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Aye, cause your country won?;) From a footballing standpoint, Italia 90 was atrocious, especially considering the quality of football that was displayed in the previous two world cups.

It truly was and led to many reforms such as the outlawing of the back pass and a straight red for professional fouls.

Reactions: luiginb

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
That's one of the things I remember most about the 94 WC, Belgium beating Holland in an epic afternoon game in the soaring heat of Orlando with temps exceeding 45°C/115°F :loony:

I'm assuming you mean either the heat index or ground (not air) temperature, because it has not gotten to 115F in Orlando in recorded history. Orlando, and most of the rest of Florida for that matter, is generally too humid to reach that air temperature.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I'm assuming you mean either the heat index or ground (not air) temperature, because it has not gotten to 115F in Orlando in recorded history. Orlando, and most of the rest of Florida for that matter, is generally too humid to reach that air temperature.

Probably ground temps I think, yeah.

from someone who was there:
"Historical weather records say the temperature at 2 p.m. was about 90 degrees. News accounts, however, pushed the on-field temps over 100. According to the New York Times, 160 fans were treated for heat-related stress and 12 were hospitalized."

from an article about the Qatar WC:
"Temperatures in Doha at the moment are breaching the 40 degrees celsius mark, and in the past temperatures have hit as high as 53 degrees celsius. Professional footballers have had to play in high temperatures before, however. The 1994 World Cup in the US saw temperatures reaching 45 degrees celsius."

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

At 11 secs, this clip shows it was 100F. No idea how accurate that is.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Have to differentiate between officially measured temperature, which needs to be measured in a specific set of conditions that usually aren't met on a football pitch, and what a random thermometer put up somewhere reads. It's like the thermometer reading in your car or those digital temperature signs they sometimes have outside banks or pharmacies. No-one's making sure those readings are accurate or in line with official regulations on measuring temperature.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Probably ground temps I think, yeah.

from someone who was there:

from an article about the Qatar WC:

Qatar's climate is simply ludicrous, so I hope FIFA's members at least got a few gold-plated Ferraris apiece for accepting the bribe to allow the tournament to proceed there, otherwise they sold low.

At 11 secs, this clip shows it was 100F. No idea how accurate that is.

100F is definitely possible and very realistic, as I used to live in Florida and experienced that temperature more than a handful of times.

Since Florida doesn't really know the meaning of dry heat, it's absolutely brutal there when it reaches triple digits.

Have to differentiate between officially measured temperature, which needs to be measured in a specific set of conditions that usually aren't met on a football pitch, and what a random thermometer put up somewhere reads. It's like the thermometer reading in your car or those digital temperature signs they sometimes have outside banks or pharmacies. No-one's making sure those readings are accurate or in line with official regulations on measuring temperature.

If someone puts a random thermometer in direct sunlight that thermometer isn't scientifically valid, so it shouldn't even be reported.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Qatar's climate is simply ludicrous, so I hope FIFA's members at least got a few gold-plated Ferraris apiece for accepting the bribe to allow the tournament to proceed there, otherwise they sold low.

I'm sure they did, but regarding climate it's a global game and the tournament shouldn't be more hot than Italia '90 so I don't see that as one of their many issues. The same goes for 2026 really.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Yeah, but the official measures are irrelevant regarding what the players actually experience on the pitch, be it in direct sunlight or not. I think that Orlando's official temperature at that day was measured at an airport, which obviously means nothing regarding this match and what the players faced in reality.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Shush, you're spoiling the narrative!

There isn't a "narrative". Players were racially abused, end of story. Just because they've only arrested 5 in England doesn't mean that every other post was coming out of another country. It's probably more closely linked to the anonymity of social media and Twitter in particular.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad