Euro: Final: Italy vs England (Part 3)

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The reason England cannot keep the ball in games of this stature is because of Southgate's 343 which allows the opposition to keep the ball. Kalvin Phillips arguably plays the single most difficult midfield role in football where he receives in a single pivot with high fullbacks and average players around him and he does that well. Rodri couldn't do this reliably for Manchester City for example. Declan Rice is also very good with the ball. He is virtually error prone and does dare to be progressive with the ball. I've only seen him have one bad game under a press and that was against Denmark in the semi's but he was great again in the final. England absolutely had the players to control games with the ball this tournament. When playing Soutgates 343 system England don't press aggressively enough to win the ball back and often minimize risk in possession.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The only thing is that Italy just did exactly this to great effect. But I suppose to make it happen somewhere like England you’d really need to change the manager

Oh, I'm not saying it can't happen, just that I think it is unlikely to. Italy, as you said, changed their manager before this evolution...and they went through a significant down period that I suspect made people more open to updating the way the NT played than they would've otherwise been.

England OTOH is going to keep Southgate for at least two more cycles because he is coming off of a semi & a Final.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
This is from the attached Athletic article, not a good look for England, don't give them the 2030 WC. Lot's more information and specifics throughout the article. English football's day of embarrassment and why it has damaged the 2030 World Cup bid

• Thousands of people forcing their way into the stadium without tickets, some of them breaking through barricades and storming entrance gates reserved for disabled spectators
  • Numerous stewards injured and being subjected to racial abuse as they tried to stop those forcing entry
  • Fighting inside the stadium, with videos showing one England fan being kicked by others while lying on the ground
  • England players’ family members being attacked and subjected to racial abuse, while others had to fight off efforts to have their tickets or phones snatched from their hands
  • The VIP section so overrun with ticketless fans that some family members, including Italy coach Roberto Mancini’s son Andrea, had to sit on the steps because his allocated seat had been taken
  • Numerous allegations of fans openly snorting cocaine
  • Breaches of the COVID-19 checkpoints, allowing fans to enter the stadium without showing proof of a negative test, and the infiltration of the Italian supporters’ bio-secure “bubble”

Both Caressa and Bergomi on Sky said: I don't know what they are smoking but it is coming up to here and it is having an effect.

I laughed a lot

Reactions: robertmac43

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
I like Declan Rice a lot. And he had a great tournament. I also have nothing against Phillips per se. I just don't see how a team that fields Mount as their go-to offensive midfielder is supposed to dominate the middle of the pitch against top national teams. Kane is great coming back and distributing the ball, but that's too much to ask from him all game. Maybe Mount grows into that role - he's still young - but I just don't see it. Where's the trequartista?

I'm not convinced that a change in formation and/or tactics instantly make Rice, Phillips, and Mount capable of dominating the middle of the pitch against top teams. Jorginho and Verratti were left to essentially do whatever they wanted for large portions of the final. I think France and Spain would also have their way with England in much the same manner if they had met. Do I think England have the horses to control of the middle of the pitch against lesser teams? Of course.

But there's a reason England relies on counterattacking and strong emphasis on the flanks for offense, it's because they have strength there.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This is from the attached Athletic article, not a good look for England, don't give them the 2030 WC. Lot's more information and specifics throughout the article. English football's day of embarrassment and why it has damaged the 2030 World Cup bid

• Thousands of people forcing their way into the stadium without tickets, some of them breaking through barricades and storming entrance gates reserved for disabled spectators
  • Numerous stewards injured and being subjected to racial abuse as they tried to stop those forcing entry
  • Fighting inside the stadium, with videos showing one England fan being kicked by others while lying on the ground
  • England players’ family members being attacked and subjected to racial abuse, while others had to fight off efforts to have their tickets or phones snatched from their hands
  • The VIP section so overrun with ticketless fans that some family members, including Italy coach Roberto Mancini’s son Andrea, had to sit on the steps because his allocated seat had been taken
  • Breaches of the COVID-19 checkpoints, allowing fans to enter the stadium without showing proof of a negative test, and the infiltration of the Italian supporters’ bio-secure “bubble”

They shouldn't get any tournament period. You can't have them somewhere that happens.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like Declan Rice a lot. And he had a great tournament. I also have nothing against Phillips per se. I just don't see how a team that fields Mount as their go-to offensive midfielder is supposed to dominate the middle of the pitch against top national teams. Kane is great coming back and distributing the ball, but that's too much to ask from him all game. Maybe Mount grows into that role - he's still young - but I just don't see it. Where's the trequartista?

I'm not convinced that a change in formation and/or tactics instantly make Rice, Phillips, and Mount capable of dominating the middle of the pitch against top teams. Jorginho and Verratti were left to essentially do whatever they wanted for large portions of the final. I think France and Spain would also have their way with England in much the same manner if they had met. Do I think England have the horses to control of the middle of the pitch against lesser teams? Of course.

But there's a reason England relies on counterattacking and strong emphasis on the flanks for offense, it's because they have strength there.
Mount certainly isn't as creative as you'd want from a classic 10, but that's why I don't think he should be groomed for that role. He should be groomed for more of an 8 role that capitalizes on his pressing & ball retention strengths...which is why I had him competing with Saka & Bellingham for that spot moving forward...with a more creative partner joining him in front of Rice, like Foden.

Reactions: gary69

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Mount certainly isn't as creative as you'd want from a classic 10, but that's why I don't think he should be groomed for that role. He should be groomed for more of an 8 role that capitalizes on his pressing & ball retention strengths...which is why I had him competing with Saka & Bellingham for that spot moving forward...with a more creative partner joining him in front of Rice, like Foden.

England never has a shortage of players that can make things happen, they always have a shortage of players that can decide what to make happen when and where.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

Jesus. It sucks for the vast majority of England fans (those that are not f***ing neanderthals) that a few thousand people could potentially ruin a WC bid for their country. But honestly, if you were on the committee for the WC, would you vote England in after this catastrophe? I'm sure it will come down to money like it always does, but holy hell.

The almost complete lack of security presence and order around the final speaks for itself. Absolute joke. Did they even try to execute this properly?

They shouldn't get any tournament period. You can't have them somewhere that happens.

I don't want to agree with you but I have to.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But honestly, if you were on the committee for the WC, would you vote England in after this catastrophe? I'm sure it will come down to money like it always does, but holy hell.
I would definitely not support an England bid. The issue is those who have the decision power have questionable moral compasses for these kinds of things.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I would definitely not support an England bid. The issue is those who have the decision power have questionable moral compasses for these kinds of things.

FIFA's "moral compass"

ways-to-make-money-direction-and-path-a-compass-pointing-to-a-one-picture-id686815736

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

Gigio, Di Lo, Leo, Giorgio, Spina [laughs], Emerson, Giorgio, Marco, Bare, Ciro, Lorenzo and Federico. So, I have nothing to say. You know what you are and we are not here by chance. We are the masters of our fate, not the ref, not the opponents, nobody else, OK? You know what you have to do.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

The one thing I will say in England's defense is that there is no evidence of Italians being attacked. There are several videos of English fans fighting each other which have been miscaptioned as assaults on Italian fans.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
f***ing thousands of police for a mid week premier league match and they left low salary stewards to handle this? A total joke

The police keep saying they had asked people without tickets not to travel to Wembley as if that somehow serves as a blanket excuse for a law enforcement agency. "Gee those dastardly louts rudely ignored our request...we shall write a harshly worded letter of protest!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad