Final Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
This cut means Aucoin might be a realistic call-up option if Lapierre is injured. Sobotka could play 4C also, but Porter's versatility there was a nice bit of flexibility. Or maybe Porter will continue to work his ass off and be back some time.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Andy Strickland reported one hour ago on Twitter that Porter will be the last cut. This surprises me, that Cracknell would beat out Porter. And Strickland has been known to jump the gun, and predict incorrectly. So far, this information has NOT shown up on the official Blues' website.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm kinda surprised as well. I knew it was between Porter and Cracknell but I thought Hitch liked Porter's speed and aggressiveness, and from what I had heard it sounded like Porter had been flying around usual in games, but maybe not. Interesting for sure.

I think Porter will probably be back at some point so it's not a big deal. But maybe the Blues feel they can get a similar game from Lapierre and Morrow. Cracknell provides a bit more size and a little more offense if he needs to fill in somewhere. Kinda happy for Cracks to see him stick...he's a good guy.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Porter on waivers? That surprises me. I thought he played well when I saw him play last weekend against Dallas.

I wonder if he had a bad attitude about the Blues’ depth signings after he signed a one-way contract (and perhaps asked to be placed on waivers for another opportunity).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
4th-line is looking pretty legit. Sobotka, Morrow, Lapierre, Cracknell give us some of the more offensive 4th-liners we've had in years. Those guys could all score 10-15 goals if they played a full season.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
i would have thought Porter would have played last night to give him one last chance. Most of us didn't see much of him in the preseason or at camp so who knows what was going on with him.

I had expected Cracknell, and when he played and Porter didn't last night then I was convinced it was going to be Cracknell.

JR tweeted: Appears the #stlblues view Porter solely as a LW and that is where the roster is the deepest. Cracknell viewed as more versatile at C, RW

That doesn't make any sense given the comments from Hitch.

More than likely he ends up in the AHL, but there is a decent chance another team will claim him. This poll shows exactly what we all know about what went on in camp :laugh:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's also funny because Porter is the one that played C during the playoffs even though I believe Cracknell has more experience in the middle.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
What teams are low on LW depth, and might grab Porter? With ALL the teams needing to cut players now, there's some chance he'll sneak through. But, I'm wondering if Porter asked to be waived for a chance at more minutes with a team with less depth?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Porter cleared waivers last year, IIRC. It's fun to watch him play, but he's a replacement level player. I think there's a pretty good chance he clears. If he doesn't, I doubt we miss him much.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
What teams are low on LW depth, and might grab Porter? With ALL the teams needing to cut players now, there's some chance he'll sneak through. But, I'm wondering if Porter asked to be waived for a chance at more minutes with a team with less depth?
I think asking to be waived would be odd after he was rewarded with a one-way contract by the team. Makes more sense for him to shut his mouth and work his tail off after not making the NHL squad.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, if you ask a team to be waived then you're pretty much an idiot, IMO.

Clay Squares

Oct 16, 2011
St. Louis
Eligibility to go through waivers is determined by age and number of NHL games, not contract type or terms.

You see. I learned something tonight. Regardless it wouldn't make any sense for someone to ask to be put through waivers when their contract/situation requires they do anyway.

Although I didn't vote in the poll my guess would have been Cracknell. Porter will most likely see a little time with the Blues if/when there are some injuries to the 4th line barring he isn't claimed. Which I don't expect he will be.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Yea, the one-way/two-contract impact on waiver eligibility is entirely from video games. It's bizarre to me how many hockey fans think that's real. I even heard Kerber make that mistake the other night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad