Line Combos: Final 4th Line Spot

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
I would roll Lain-Richardson-Santorelli. 2 centres to mentor Lain to be the 4C full time in a few years time, if we resign Weise I'd rotate him in as needed/13th forward with Santorelli

I still would like to see Lain get his feet wet in the AHL for a year.

I mean for a guy whos career ceiling is 4th line center, I am not opposed to being patient with him.

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm guessing Gillis leaves the 4th line as a battle between the current crop (Richardson, Santorelli, Weise, Sesito), the young guys (Lain, Archibald, Blomstrand) and one or two training camp invites (Jarred Smithson, David Steckel if available).

Basically the 4th line will be fairly mediocre.

Ideally a better 4th liner comes in... Larose-Richardson-Weise I'd be happy with.

King of the ES*

Halischuk is definitely the sort of guy i'd like to see them add to our 4th line mix. He's not exactly 'big', but he'd bring some nice versatility and energy to the table. That'd be a really nice add.

I'm actually shocked that he's a UFA. In the unlikely event that we can afford him, he should definitely be signed.

CanucksCupHopes*

Richardson said he was asked to play a third line center when he signed the contract with us

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Richardson said he was asked to play a third line center when he signed the contract with us

"With the way our roster looks right now Mr Richardson,

...you would be our 3rd line center".

Hes plays 4th line minutes, gets 4th line points and is paid like a 4th line center.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
line combos are more of a crap shoot at this point than in previous years

we really have no idea which players tortorella is going to gravitate towards (ie kassian) and which players are going to suffer (ie kassian)

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Tortorella mentioned he plans on re-uniting Kesler and Burrows (so I think the inference is that Kassian will be given every opportunity to play on L1).

That doesn't mean ZK gets the spot. Remember Hansen played a few games with the twins too and didn't look bad either. Higgins can also play all 3 lines so will likely be given a shot too. He's also very similar to Burrows (at least as close as you can get on the roster) so if you want a direct replacement instead of a change, he might be the ideal choice. Or if Burrows stay with the Twins, Higgins probably would get first shot with Kesler and Booth. Then of course there is Jensen who although not a lock to make the team, at this point probably has the best offensive skill set and above ZK in terms of offensive ability. Not saying Jensen is more likely to make the team but he's a wild card for that spot. He will probably be given every chance to make the team since he'll be burning a year off his ELC regardless and had a pretty good season last year (even got some game action). Basically i don't see ZK being a lock for the spot and his chances of being on the 3rd or even 4th line is just as high as Hansen or Higgins. If he ends up being on the 4th line again, i wonder how many questions MG will get about the trade...

In all fairness, the savings between an ELC and a standard issue 4th liner is pretty meager. An ELC is really only a major advantage if the rookie is filling a prominent role.

It would be nice to have a guy like Gaunce/Horvatt able to fill in in the event of injuries to one of our centers.

Or if MG worries about Jannik Hansen becoming too expensive of a player to retain next year, knowing you could replace him with a guy like Jensen.

The problem with that is future and development. If Gaunce/Horvat is on the roster for 10+ games, they burn a year off the ELC, which means 1 year sooner for their bridge contract and also 1 year earlier for UFA. Given its "salary cap" era, you really don't want to burn a year unless

a) You know the player is ready
b) The player gives you the best chance to win now/he's clearly an upgrade over whoever he is replacing

Both Gaunce and Horvat are prospects that clearly have a good chance of playing in the NHL someday but they are probably not ready at this point. Both are pretty solid defensive in Jr. hockey where "defense" is really a loose term. You really want them to get some AHL seasoning and play a tighter/closer to NHL style of hockey before putting them into the NHL. Of course that isn't possible since they'll be back in Jr. if they don't make the team. There's a chance they make the team and get 9 games to decide rather or not they stay but last thing you want is have them play 10+ games then decide they are not ready and burning a year on their ELC/UFA (in the case of Horvat, possibly 2 years).

Also in the case of Horvat (at least until he signs the ELC), the difference might actually be a decent size difference. My guess is he'll get a base salary of 925,000 (same as Gaunce) on his contract + bonuses. If he meets some of those bonuses (guess that's pretty unlikely given he probably won't get a top 6 role), the difference between him and say Santorelli could be 500k+, which would translate to ~1.5mil+ come deadline time. If he isn't clearly better than Santorelli at this point, its probably best to have him go back to Jr. for now and the future.

Also Jensen/Hansen are not comparison. Completely different style of hockey and skill set. Jensen cannot replace Hansen in terms of the role he plays on the team. Jensen is pretty much top 6 or not playing type (unless the 3rd line becomes a more offensive line). His defensive/own zone game is still developing/suspect at this point while Hansen is fairly good defensively. A more comparable replacement would be Sweatt (who of course will be in Europe but still our property next off season, tho not meaningful unless he has a very good year and decides to come back since right now, he's borderline NHL material as it is, forget replacing an elite 3rd liner/borderline 2nd liner). At this point, Hansen is pretty hard to replace and if MG could, he probably should sign him to a deal similar to Higgins ASAP.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
That doesn't mean ZK gets the spot.

Also Jensen/Hansen are not comparison. Completely different style of hockey and skill set.

At this point, Hansen is pretty hard to replace and if MG could, he probably should sign him to a deal similar to Higgins ASAP.

I said, ZK will likely be given every opportunity. Never said it was promised/guaranteed to him.

If Hansen decides to test free agency, theres a good chance he is priced out of Vancouvers budget. Ideally they get a Higgins deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hansen command ~3.5 per.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Colton Gillies picked up and given a shot at a 4th line spot. Big fast winger who can kill penalties and makes big hits on the forecheck. A former first round pick who wont provide much offence but plays a sound defensive game and is a local kid

TLinden

Benning gonnaBenning
Nov 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Wouldn't mind seeing a guy like Colton Gillies picked up and given a shot at a 4th line spot. Big fast winger who can kill penalties and makes big hits on the forecheck. A former first round pick who wont provide much offence but plays a sound defensive game and is a local kid

Everything I've seen of Colton leads me to believe he is not NHL quality in the least. Quite a ways to go before I'd feel comfortable seeing him hold down regular duty on a team shooting for the post-season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I'm not sure i'd describe his defensive game as 'sound'. He's alright at times, but other times he looks like David Booth out there in his own end running around doing who knows what. He seems very on/off.

I'd be happy to add him to the fold on a minimum sort of deal as added competition/depth. When he's got his act together and head in the game, he can be a solid 4th line energy guy and great on the forecheck. A good ways to go before i'd want him in the lineup as an every day player though, but certainly a gamble i'd be interesting in trying out. Bring the kid back home and see if he can 'put it together' here.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
Everything I've seen of Colton leads me to believe he is not NHL quality in the least. Quite a ways to go before I'd feel comfortable seeing him hold down regular duty on a team shooting for the post-season.

All I said was it would be nice to see him get a shot, I didn't mention that he would be a regular. Whats the worst that could happen by giving the guy a cheap contract or a camp invite? He has more upside than some of the garbage camp invites from the past like Fedoruk and Petrovicky and if he gets a two way he couldn't be any worse than Ebbett was as the first call up or even Pinnizzotto

JayBeautiful

Nature Boy
Jul 17, 2010
Maple Ridge BC

I was thinking the same thing and maybe another Colton, Colton Tuebert on defense, both at or near league min. and for a little more experience and size Hal Gill on defense and Alexi Ponikarovsky up front both at somewhere between 1 mil - 1.2 mil

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I said, ZK will likely be given every opportunity. Never said it was promised/guaranteed to him.

If Hansen decides to test free agency, theres a good chance he is priced out of Vancouvers budget. Ideally they get a Higgins deal, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hansen command ~3.5 per.

Well considering you didn't list him in the bottom 6 but listed Higgins/Hansen, you implied that and pretty much implied ZK wasn't a candidate for the "final 4th line spot" (which i believe he could easily be).

Hansen could demand 3.5 mil if he has an outstanding season but its not very likely. That said... if Clowe and Clarkson can get 5mil+, Hansen could easily get 4 mil+ if a team goes crazy and he has a good year. He can't actually price himself out of 'nucks range, its just rather or not MG/new GM wants to keep him. Sedins are off the books next year so depending on the impact Hansen has this season and the direction the team is headed, Hansen could be a key signing (and i believe he should be if his offensive game continues to develop)... could even be bigger than the Sedins (again a lot of factors in play for this, namely Sedin regression, team performance, Hansen progression, etc). And if Hansen is really due for a payday, then shouldn't he be the one out of bottom 6 discussion instead of ZK?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Tortorella mentioned he plans on re-uniting Kesler and Burrows (so I think the inference is that Kassian will be given every opportunity to play on L1).

Agreed, but its still very ambiguous who are 4th line LW is going to be going into camp.
It looks like Santorelli is this years Tambellini/Ebbett, Sestito hopefully only sees spot duty this year.

Unless one of the prospects can make the jump (Maybe Lain/Gaunce plays 4C and bumps Richardson to LW) it looks like MG is gonna need to bring in another 4th line LW.
I'm VERY happy to hear this.

Preferably Burrows - Kesler - Hansen reunited-- Brilliant chemistry between the three. Could be a great way to get top-six production out of a guy like Hansen, who would greatly benefit from playing there, IMO. I think they would be absolutely clutch and flying in playoff situations, personally.

That and I don't like the idea of Booth - Kesler - Burrows, which is likely what we'll see.

I was actually hoping that one of the young guys, like Jensen could step up and click with the Sedins.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen?
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Schroeder/Horvat - Kassian
Higgins - Richardson - Weise

I don't expect the Canucks to be contenders next year either, but I like the chemistry throughout this lineup, a dominant two-way shutdown line, young guys being given a decent role in a transition year (Booth-Kassian looked incredible together, and that line would have the least responsibility on the team), and a fantastic 4th line.

In the limited time we've seen of him, Jensen doesn't look ready, though

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm VERY happy to hear this.

Preferably Burrows - Kesler - Hansen reunited-- Brilliant chemistry between the three. Could be a great way to get top-six production out of a guy like Hansen, who would greatly benefit from playing there, IMO. I think they would be absolutely clutch and flying in playoff situations, personally.

That and I don't like the idea of Booth - Kesler - Burrows, which is likely what we'll see.

I was actually hoping that one of the young guys, like Jensen could step up and click with the Sedins.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen?
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Schroeder/Horvat - Kassian
Higgins - Richardson - Weise

I don't expect the Canucks to be contenders next year either, but I like the chemistry throughout this lineup, a dominant two-way shutdown line, young guys being given a decent role in a transition year (Booth-Kassian looked incredible together, and that line would have the least responsibility on the team), and a fantastic 4th line.

In the limited time we've seen of him, Jensen doesn't look ready, though

I'm on the same wave length. Drop Higgins to the 4th line, and put Burrows-Kesler-Hansen together. Multiple reasons for this, but I don't want to see Hansen with Schroeder. I don't think the chemistry is there between the two. However, Booth's game might suite Schroeder's playmaking ability to a T. Then, we have the wildcard in Santorelli, who had prior chemistry playing with Booth in FLA.

I would like to see this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Booth-Schroeder-Santorelli
Higgins-Richardson-Weise
Sestito-Ferriero

Santorelli backs Schroeder as a RHanded face-off man. They can bump up Higgins to the 3rd line, going with a neo AMEX line with Booth+Schroeder as well.

I hope they bring in one more option to push Ferriero to the minors, likely via trade.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Why not Schroeder at 3c and Gaunce at 4c? Throw Richardson or Santorelli on the wing for support and Weise on the other wing, it'll do, or Jensen or some other prospect.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm on the same wave length. Drop Higgins to the 4th line, and put Burrows-Kesler-Hansen together. Multiple reasons for this, but I don't want to see Hansen with Schroeder. I don't think the chemistry is there between the two. However, Booth's game might suite Schroeder's playmaking ability to a T. Then, we have the wildcard in Santorelli, who had prior chemistry playing with Booth in FLA.

I would like to see this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Burrows-Kesler-Hansen
Booth-Schroeder-Santorelli
Higgins-Richardson-Weise
Sestito-Ferriero

Santorelli backs Schroeder as a RHanded face-off man. They can bump up Higgins to the 3rd line, going with a neo AMEX line with Booth+Schroeder as well.

I hope they bring in one more option to push Ferriero to the minors, likely via trade.
I don`t know if I see any reason for Santorelli over Higgins on the third line personally. It didn't even sound like he was a full-time 4th liner.

Isn't he not so great defensively? Combine that with Schroeder/Booth.....

I really liked the Booth-Kassian chemistry, but I guess realistically, he has to play with the sedins if Burrows isn't.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don`t know if I see any reason for Santorelli over Higgins on the third line personally. It didn't even sound like he was a full-time 4th liner.

Isn't he not so great defensively? Combine that with Schroeder/Booth.....

I really liked the Booth-Kassian chemistry, but I guess realistically, he has to play with the sedins if Burrows isn't.

Higgins did play a tiny bit with the Twins last year and looked decent iirc. Doesn't seem like a likely solution, but i'd think it's at least a potential option if we were desperate to put things together that way.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think the top line should be Burrows (to be worth the money, he has to be in a position to excel), Kesler and Hansen (top scoring RW last season). The second line is the Sedins and Kassian. I think Tortorella was hinting about this with his apparent left field comment regarding the Sedins killing penalties.

This leaves Higgins and Booth outside the top six and apparently overpriced. This isn't really difficult to reconcile, Booth was effective outside of the top six last season, when they played him for a few games to get into game shape or something? Higgins is only slightly high waged. Canucks can conceivably keep both.

This leaves Higgins and Sestito on LW and Booth and Richardson on the right side. So, size and speed and experience on both lines. If they intend to go this direction, the center spots could be open and won in camp. Guance or Lain might get the benefit of the doubt and earn a spot. This would implement their "develop guys in the NHL".

So;
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Brendan Gaunce ($1.057m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) / Kellan Lain ($0.874m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m)
Mike Santorelli ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Chris Tanev ($2.200m) / Frank Corrado ($0.599m)
Yannick Weber ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,283,569; BONUSES: $162,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,178,931

baxtefer

Aug 8, 2012
The 3rd and 4th lines will probably a rotating crop of young ELC players who are waiver exempt. Basically whoever is playing the best in Utica will get a callup:
Archibald, Jensen, Blomstrand, Lain...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad