Confirmed with Link: Final 23-man roster

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
It's been mentioned before but it's worth writing again. Grigs basically had the best of both worlds. He did have another season in juniors and the WJC acted as a sort of playoffs where he preformed above average. He was able to get one more year under his belt and now he gets a chance to go against NHL'ers. He has stong line mates with Leino and Ott, a solid defense that played together last year and Miller/Enroth in net.

The team is solid. What better environment for Grigs then to be in mid-season form, on a solid team going against presumably some rusty NHL players.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Or if Lindy follows the 05-06 template and rolls 3 scoring lines. Roy feasted on those matchups, why couldn't Grigo?

Exactly. If Grigorenko stays the whole season on the 3rd line and plays all 48 games I can see him putting up something like 14g-21a-35p this year, finishing in the top 5 for scoring.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The mis-match could go for any line on any given night, unless V-H-P or F-E-S prove to be consistently dangerous. It really doesn't matter which line is hot or which line the other team focuses on, three scoring lines is hard to match up against for most any team. The key will be health, and part of staying healthy is having guys around that will deter other teams from taking runs at your skill players.

SabFanInOtt

Mar 19, 2006
Canada's Capital
I'd be really surprised if Grigorenko stays after five games no matter what numbers he puts up. The number of 18 year olds that wouldn't have been helped by more seasoning is pretty small. I'm more than happy to let him have a big year in the Q and see him next season.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Tiny sample size (2 games); could have just been bad match-ups for him. However, he's far from a great faceoff man at that level so there's no reason to expect him to come in and be great at faceoffs in the NHL. My hope is that he's OK enough to take most draws, with Ott taking key / defensive zone draws. Ott is probably the best faceoff man on the team right now so it'd be silly not to take advantage of him.
Oh, it absolutely is a tiny sample size, but that was basically my point. I don't have his WJC stats, but if he looked good at the dot, it was likely an aberration because he's been very average in junior. He checks in at 51.33% this year and 50.57% last year*.

I do have his WJC faceoff stats now, but don't want to rewrite the above. It looks like he was ranked #29 (among guys with double digit wins) at 48.51%.

Ott's by far the best bet on our team and Daz28 made it clear he was merely speculating for conversation because of the faceoffs he saw Grigs take.

*At his current rate of improvement (.76 percentage points per year) he'll be invincible at the dot when he's 82 years old!

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
If Hecht plays 90% of the games this season, this is a dangerous team. Being able to keep 26-29 together, with a real center ( aka not Adam ), plus FES, and now two veterans surrounding what very well could be the MVP of juniors...and then have one of the best 4th lines in the NHL in Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta, I'm really excited.

Vanek always showed he cared.
Pomms always is consistent, and two-way.
Ott has always been solid.
And getting rid of Roy and let's just say baggage...
Wow, this team could make some noise bc we have D & a goalie

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I wish the Sabres would update the roster to have Brennan and McCormick both on it and put Gerbe and McCormick on IR so we know the full roster. Infuriates me when teams can't update especially at the start of the season so we know who's where. :shakehead

Very happy to see Grigorenko make it though. Can't wait to see him play. Speaking of which, him and Grier both have the same initials, M.G., and Grigorenko is wearing Grier's old number. Found it cool and ironic and had to share. :laugh:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Premature maybe, but does anyone expect Grigo to compete for the Calder this year? He's looked great so far IMO.

Maybe, but I think we have a better candidate than Grigerenko. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Foligno is still eligible for the Calder. I could be wrong.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Must be a different Gerbe. Plays with heart but he doesn't intimidate much and his scoring disappeared.

Gerbe's offensive output -- disappointing as it was -- wasn't that bad when you look at a bit deeper. For most of the season he was used in a very defensive role. He actually put up a career high in assists, but his goal scoring took a big drop. I don't think he's likely to shoot as poorly as 4.4% again. He provides the team with offensive depth; either he makes the 4th line more dangerous than it otherwise would be or he can slide up in case of injury, including into the 2nd PP unit if necessary.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
tumblr_lumscjg78R1qzfhk4o1_500.jpg

It's LOG, it's LOG -- it's better than bad, it's good!

Exactly.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Maybe, but I think we have a better candidate than Grigerenko. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Foligno is still eligible for the Calder. I could be wrong.

He is, doesn't have the flash/hype etc as the other candidates..but he's in a good position to succeed being put on the 2nd line and having some experience and success in NHL games already. Potential dark horse candidate most seem to have forgotten about.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I wish the Sabres would update the roster to have Brennan and McCormick both on it and put Gerbe and McCormick on IR so we know the full roster. Infuriates me when teams can't update especially at the start of the season so we know who's where. :shakehead

Very happy to see Grigorenko make it though. Can't wait to see him play. Speaking of which, him and Grier both have the same initials, M.G., and Grigorenko is wearing Grier's old number. Found it cool and ironic and had to share. :laugh:

Sabres roster on capgeek.com is up to date. They finally took Porter off.

It doesn't help with jersey numbers or IR, but is good info if you are interested in the team's salary cap.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Whoa. I bet they just gave him 25 so they could just cut up an old Grier jersey and sew the "G-O-N-K-O" letters on to patch the holes they made. Actually... I have never seen Grigorenko and Grier in the same place at the same time. Conspiracy! That would explain all the "Grigorenko is actually an old man" nonsense... It would also explain how he "learned" "English" so "quickly."

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Whoa. I bet they just gave him 25 so they could just cut up an old Grier jersey and sew the "G-O-N-K-O" letters on to patch the holes they made. Actually... I have never seen Grigorenko and Grier in the same place at the same time. Conspiracy! That would explain all the "Grigorenko is actually an old man" nonsense... It would also explain how he "learned" "English" so "quickly."

:laugh:

Anyone know what our defense pairings will definitely look like for the opener? I've heard:

Regehr - Myers
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Leopold - Sekera

Kinda disappointed if that's true. I preferred Reggie and Rej together and thought Myers played best with Leopold.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
:laugh:

Anyone know what our defense pairings will definitely look like for the opener? I've heard:

Regehr - Myers
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Leopold - Sekera

Kinda disappointed if that's true. I preferred Reggie and Rej together and thought Myers played best with Leopold.

I never liked Myers-Leo as a pairing. I think Regehr with Myers could be ok call. Reggie's pretty much never going to make a bad pinch (or any pinch) and won't make dumb mistakes in his own end, which could allow Myers to jump into more rushes, which IMO is what he should be doing.
What I'd really love to see is Sekera with Myers and Reggie with Leopold, but I'm not even sure that Sekera could/would play the left side.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I never liked Myers-Leo as a pairing. I think Regehr with Myers could be ok call. Reggie's pretty much never going to make a bad pinch (or any pinch) and won't make dumb mistakes in his own end, which could allow Myers to jump into more rushes, which IMO is what he should be doing.
What I'd really love to see is Sekera with Myers and Reggie with Leopold, but I'm not even sure that Sekera could/would play the left side.

Sekera can play the left side better than the right. IIRC Regehr was playing the right side of the Sekera-Regehr pairing, though someone can correct me on that.

Presten

Feb 21, 2010
Berlin
He is, doesn't have the flash/hype etc as the other candidates..but he's in a good position to succeed being put on the 2nd line and having some experience and success in NHL games already. Potential dark horse candidate most seem to have forgotten about.

Bob Mackenzie told that Foligno was one of his calder candidates on TSN 1050 today :)

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

He was getting talked up a bit at the end of least year when FES went crazy. But now there are newer toys (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Tarasenko, etc.).

The thing though is that crazy FES hot streak is likely unsustainable for the whole season--sections of it sure. But I don't think Foligno will get enough stats to get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad