Player Discussion Filip Hronek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
It has been 5 hours of everyone probably freaking out and no player thread. Welcome to Vancouver Filip.

A 2016 2nd rounder of Detroit, he and a 4th come our way for NYI 1st and our 2nd in 2023.

Weird trade by both teams, can see the reasoning behind it but still doesnt make the loss of mystery boxes hurt less. Hughes gets a new partner and the rest of our trash D gets pushed down to a level they can hopefully play at

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hughes is the best Dman the franchise has ever had, and is being wasted away. Even if the Nucks had a redo on the Juolevi and Virtanen picks, they likely take 2 forwards.

At a certain point, a Dman was gonna need to be reached for, or traded with a 1st. At Hughes age and contract, trade makes more sense.

If this can make a legit partner for Quinn, then it could be a real nice move. Have no info nor insight on Hronek though, so, cant really predict.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
It has been 5 hours of everyone probably freaking out and no player thread. Welcome to Vancouver Filip.

A 2016 2nd rounder of Detroit, he and a 4th come our way for NYI 1st and our 2nd in 2023.

Weird trade by both teams, can see the reasoning behind it but still doesnt make the loss of mystery boxes hurt less. Hughes gets a new partner and the rest of our trash D gets pushed down to a level they can hopefully play at
Allvin and JR have lost their minds. This is a team that needs to be torn down to the studs. We aren’t winning jack shit with Quinn and hughes leading this team. Bad core and zero patience

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
someone compared him to tyler myers

im done

i watched him a ton from his rookie year to the season before last. this is what i said earlier:

i don't think he's worse than myers. i just think his play is very much similar to myers. both of them can skate pretty well and have decent puck skills when not under pressure but both are prone to turnovers and mistakes when pressured and both of them frequently look like they have no idea what to do in their own end

i think hronek is slightly less of a disaster in his own end but myers has an advantage with his reach and his mobility. hronek legitimately has a good shot though which is something myers lacks. point shots are kind of out of vogue in the nhl these days but it is a tool hronek possesses

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Basically needs to be a 50 point top pairing, solid, d-man from the go or he will be massively ridiculed.

The cost of the team adding OEL and now Hronek has basically set any future plans back 5-6 years so this is it. This is the D with maybe another added for the 1st this year (maybe they trade this years and next years 1sts to add one more D man?).

I see the path forming to another decade of no playoffs / maybe one fluke entry coming a mile away.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I don’t think he should be Quinn’s partner. I think that’s still a hole. Honestly I think we still need two more top 4 D. Basically next season should be:

Hughes-RD
LD-Hronek
OEL-Bear

Good luck filling those two holes.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I don’t think he should be Quinn’s partner. I think that’s still a hole. Honestly I think we still need two more top 4 D. Basically next season should be:

Hughes-RD
LD-Hronek
OEL-Bear

Good luck filling those two holes.

Where's Myers?

Also one of the LD slots is certainly going to be filled with Wolanin/Dermott

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Basically needs to be a 50 point top pairing, solid, d-man from the go or he will be massively ridiculed.

The cost of the team adding OEL and now Hronek has basically set any future plans back 5-6 years so this is it. This is the D with maybe another added for the 1st this year (maybe they trade this years and next years 1sts to add one more D man?).

I see the path forming to another decade of no playoffs / maybe one fluke entry coming a mile away.
How is that possible on this team? His PP deployment will be with the second unit meaning the bulk of his points will have to be 5v5.

The bigger question is whether he can play the role of Devon Toews to QH's Cale Makar. If not, then he's on the second pairing and will have to anchor a shutdown pairing. Given what we know of the player, he doesn't seem well suited to that role.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Wait guys he fought Marchand, he’s destiny:

Obviously Hronek doesn't know much about fighting but he didn't take any crap from Marchand and gave him a pretty good shot after the Nose tried to run him into the boards.

Reactions: m9

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't know.

I looked at his stats, he's quite consistent as an offensive dman. I do also understand that he was given the opportunity on a struggling and rebuilding red wings team, which makes you wonder would he actually be having the same type of production on a playoff team the last few years.

I understand it feels a need, but I don't think this is the right way to do it.

for me its this. Yes we desperately need help on the right side, however right now or at least this draft, additional draft picks out weighs a righty dman. If you ask 100 canuck fans, I think most of them would prefer to hang on to the 1st rounder than to trade for this type of dman.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He has a bit of a nasty streak from the games I have seen but he is undersized. I also do not see him as a Hughes partner and agree we still need two defensively responsible D (one on each side) before this core can be respectable.

One of Benning’s biggest failures (which is saying a lot) was his terrible evaluation of defensemen. Benning himself was an undersized offensive D with no structure, and he seemed to love to target the same. Let’s hope our new management doesn’t share this horrific trait.

Maybe OEL can be an effective partner for Hronek if OEL always stays became (which he should given the deterioration of his skating).

I can’t help recalling that John Marino went for a 3rd and Ty Smith last offseason. How could we not have been in on that? We have the strongest Pitts connection ever and yet the Pens sent Marino to a rival for a package we should have been able to beat.

I also recall this: Canucks: Taking trade swing for John Marino wasn't worth plausible price

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Haven't watched a whole lot of him, but his basic numbers say he has been steadily developing in the right direction.

Not sure I'd read much into wings fans' comments; up until now, they've been telling us how valuable he is. lol
Seems like they are hitching their wagon to Seider (rightfully so), and are getting value now before the upcoming cap crunch

Thought he looked really good vs us over those 2 recent games. I just hope he is a good fit. 9 goals this year so far - 5/6 of our guys have a hard time just hitting the damn net.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
He has a bit of a nasty streak from the games I have seen but he is undersized. I also do not see him as a Hughes partner and agree we still need two defensively responsible D (one on each side) before this core can be respectable. Hronek has improved his defence this year but he is still an offence D-man that is best paired with a more stay at home type (like Matta).
One of Benning’s biggest failures (which is saying a lot) was his terrible evaluation of defensemen. Benning himself was an undersized offensive D with no structure, and he seemed to love to target the same. Let’s hope our new management doesn’t share this horrific trait.

Maybe OEL can be an effective partner for Hronek if OEL always stays became (which he should given the deterioration of his skating).

I can’t help recalling that John Marino went for a 3rd and Ty Smith last offseason. How could we not have been in on that? We have the strongest Pitts connection ever and yet the Pens sent Marino to a rival for a package we should have been able to beat.

I also recall this: Canucks: Taking trade swing for John Marino wasn't worth plausible price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad