Prospect Info: Filip Helt (2016 Draft - 211 Overall)

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
giphy.gif

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Last edited:

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
http://www.theobserver.ca/2016/12/0...cored-since-his-second-ohl-game-of-the-season

Really not a great to hear in terms of development. Or maybe I could be overreacting, since he is an import. Who were better prospects we could have drafted, if you have that information? Apparently he seems to be capable of developing into a solid NHL player, but I wonder if his hockey IQ isn't as high as they suspected?

You'd think he and Kyrou would communicate more but its understandable they don't seeing as Helt's english, despite improving dramatically, is still pretty poor, at least that's how it seems reading the article. I hate to say it, but that article seems to paint him as a bigger, stronger, less skilled version of Yakupov.....at least we didn't use a 1OA pick on him :cheers:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He was the absolute last pick of the draft. 211th, last pick of the last round. What the hell do you expect? If he plays one NHL game in his career as the 211th pick, it was a steal. The chances of someone picked in the 7th playing at all are small. Occasionally you'll get a Pavelski or Palat. But most often you get nothing.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't see the big deal. Helt's struggles are due to a language barrier (expected) and having not played much high level hockey. An adjustment period is certainly expected in this case.

And yeah, the guy was the last pick of the draft, are we seriously going to start kicking ourselves over a 7th round pick?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
“From what I understand from what St. Louis has told us, he came from not necessarily the best hockey – almost like shinny hockey, to be honest with you,” Hatcher said. “And he carries that over here and that's where he needs to get better is staying in his lane, getting pucks out, just playing the North American style of game.”

Yeah, give the kid a break. IIRC, people were raving about his raw skills during prospect camp this summer, saying he often looked like one of the best out there during the drills. But he doesn't know how to play team hockey. Well, he's got some time to figure that out. Derian Hatcher seems like he's turning into a good coach, and having the pro experience will help with Helt's adjustment to the NA game.

If Helt even ends up as an AHL-caliber player, I'll be happy for him.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yep, sounds like a kid that played unorganized JR hockey and is also going through a language barrier. He's unlikely to make it to the NHL but regardless, he'll eventually get through this adjustment period.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don't see the big deal. Helt's struggles are due to a language barrier (expected) and having not played much high level hockey. An adjustment period is certainly expected in this case.

And yeah, the guy was the last pick of the draft, are we seriously going to start kicking ourselves over a 7th round pick?

I won't lose sleep over it, I just thought it was interesting considering the praise he was receiving. I always root for the later prospects when they seem to be way better than their pick suggests, kind of like how Lindbohm came out of nowhere back in..... 2011???? I think this year I'm way more conscious of how they're doing because we are so thin at forward prospects, so each one that does well is good news in the long run, but like I said, I'm not too worried about a 7th rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad