Filip Forsberg

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
After tonight's loss, I don't think Milwaukee will make the playoffs. There are 3 teams battling for the 8th (and last) playoff spot. The Ads need 75% of the remaining points from 8 games to make it. That would give them 87 points. Five of those games are on the road.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Just wondering, when have we ever seen a prospect good or bad at the forward position become a star for the Predators? Last couple who were supposed to be amazing haven't been that outstanding. I'm not sure our current system/coaches/GM will be able to foster this kids talent into something we've never seen or had before. If it happens, I'll love it, but I fear we may need to look at our development cycle. AHL should be the right answer here but what would he really learn down there?

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013
Just wondering, when have we ever seen a prospect good or bad at the forward position become a star for the Predators? Last couple who were supposed to be amazing haven't been that outstanding. I'm not sure our current system/coaches/GM will be able to foster this kids talent into something we've never seen or had before. If it happens, I'll love it, but I fear we may need to look at our development cycle. AHL should be the right answer here but what would he really learn down there?

I dunno if the AHL would be the answer or not for Forsberg. I look at 19-year old Yakupov and see he is trending to get 50-60 pts if we were playing a full set this season. Would I take Forsberg here next year if he could do something similar? I would vote yes. Especially if what Erat thinks is true and that Poile is going with the youth movement anyway. It is exciting right now to know we have this dynamic talent headed to our system either way.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I dunno if the AHL would be the answer or not for Forsberg. I look at 19-year old Yakupov and see he is trending to get 50-60 pts if we were playing a full set this season. Would I take Forsberg here next year if he could do something similar? I would vote yes. Especially if what Erat thinks is true and that Poile is going with the youth movement anyway. It is exciting right now to know we have this dynamic talent headed to our system either way.

You can only go with a youth movement if your coach is committed to playing the youth through the good, the bad and the ugly. That is not in Trotz's MO.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
You can only go with a youth movement if your coach is committed to playing the youth through the good, the bad and the ugly. That is not in Trotz's MO.

Its not trotzs MO because we have not been in rebuild/expansion mode for ten years. When you are playing to win you can't always let kids make all their mistakes at the NHL level. That's what the AHL is for. Teams like edmonton and columbus let their kids play the the NHL level because they are going to suck regardless. We haven't been in that mindset since 2002

That said, with this season all but over, if he can play 5 or 6 games here this season without burning his ELC then put him out there and see just how close he is to being NHL ready

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
We haven't had superstar kids on the front end to push the playoffs with, but it isn't like Trotz hasn't relied on young kids to be the better players on the ice.

Have we forgotten that Suter, Weber, Hamhuis, Blum, Josi all had huge roles in playoff pushes and playoffs.

And althought they weren't relied on to be sexy goalscorers, splaing, bourque, and to a lesser extent Wilson and Smith all had decent roles. If they are good enough to play and handle the system, they play.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
We haven't had superstar kids on the front end to push the playoffs with, but it isn't like Trotz hasn't relied on young kids to be the better players on the ice.

Have we forgotten that Suter, Weber, Hamhuis, Blum, Josi all had huge roles in playoff pushes and playoffs.

And althought they weren't relied on to be sexy goalscorers, splaing, bourque, and to a lesser extent Wilson and Smith all had decent roles. If they are good enough to play and handle the system, they play.

Wilson? The guy that was basically benched the last two playoffs? Which means if we make it next year, it'll really be his first year in the playoffs and we have no idea what he can do. Not a good use of talent.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
At least firsthalf of next year for the Ad's perhaps the entire year. Failure to develop him in the AHL would put him in the same area Wilson and Smith have been caught up in, trying to develop in Trotz system on 3rd and 4th line minutes.

They must do this one right the kid has the most upside of any forward since Radulov.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
At least firsthalf of next year for the Ad's perhaps the entire year. Failure to develop him in the AHL would put him in the same area Wilson and Smith have been caught up in, trying to develop in Trotz system on 3rd and 4th line minutes.

They must do this one right the kid has the most upside of any forward since Radulov.
FWIW, Radulov spent all of 11 games in the AHL

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Watched the second half of he game today. Forsberg dressed as the 13th forward, but got a regular shift and played 4 on 4 hockey. Limited viewing, but the one thing that continually stood out to me about him was that we haven't had a prospect like him before. Radulov like hands and vision, not as offensively polished or skilled as Radulov, but has a power forward element to his game that Radulov didn't. Bowled over a defenseman while controlling the puck behind the net in the third, picked up a loose puck from his teammate and beat two defenders with quick dekes off the half wall to drive the net in the second, and generated two takeaways in 4 on 4 play in the third while admittedly also having three turnovers that same shift trying a little too hard to be creative.

Bright future ahead for this kid. Didn't see anything wrong with his skating. Not the prettiest, but moves around just fine and it's an area that can be worked on. You cannot teach pure offensive talent nor size and Forsberg has them both.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
FWIW, Radulov spent all of 11 games in the AHL

If FF is ready then he should be on the roster. If he makes it across the pond and playes some here before the end of the year and has a good camp we will know. If not just bringing him onto a 1st line here next season is not in his nor the teams long term best interest. Were pretty sure his talent level is above any we have ever had as a rookie but caution is warranted. Heck he could come here and have 40 goals and 40 assists or 15 goals and 20 assists. What the staff and fans both need to do is not place unrealistic expectations on a kid that young. But with that said most on this board will accept nothing but FF on the 1st line with Borque and Wilson.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Well, Forsberg doesn't need to be buried on the fourth line with grinders, that's for sure. If he can't swing it on the first line immediately that's fine. Send him to Milwaukee to get used to the NA game.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
According to Swedish fans, Forsberg is 100% winger and they are confused by why he was labeled a center when he was drafted. But you hear that Washington was concerned he wouldn't become an elite center, and Poile is saying he'll start on wing and then get a look at center... is there some communication breakdown somewhere?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
so all you prospect hawks/draft gurus, is there a player this summer that should be available between 5-10 who would be complimentary to Forsberg? If FF is going to be a wing is there a potential C that we could draft and expect the two to be linemates for years to come?

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
so all you prospect hawks/draft gurus, is there a player this summer that should be available between 5-10 who would be complimentary to Forsberg? If FF is going to be a wing is there a potential C that we could draft and expect the two to be linemates for years to come?

Aleksander Barkov would be perfect, he has elite passing and hockey IQ and Forsberg has a bullet of a shot. Both are also good both two-way players. Would be a match made in heaven. Though we would probably have to be in the top 5 to draft him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad