• Nylander

Votes: 76 53.9%
  • Even

Votes: 9 6.4%

• Total voters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It’s close. I think it’s a little disingenuous to say “oh Forsberg gets to play with Josi, Nylander has nobody like that on the back end to play with” when clearly, clearly the offensive talent disparity between the two teams and the style of play between them has been so dramatically different over the last five years. Nashville has been where forwards go to die from a production standpoint, really until this season - and Forsberg is still by a huge margin the key to everything up front and only real star producer.

It’s amazing how the Preds entire offensive up front has revolved around Forsberg for basically his entire prime. That’s not to guarantee he would put up “X” more points in Toronto or that Nylander couldn’t be the focal point of an offense but it’s something that absolutely factors into my impressions of FF9.

That said, as amazing as Forsberg has been this year, Nylander has been outrageously good.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It’s close. I think it’s a little disingenuous to say “oh Forsberg gets to play with Josi, Nylander has nobody like that on the back end to play with” when clearly, clearly the offensive talent disparity between the two teams and the style of play between them has been so dramatically different over the last five years.

What style of play? Toronto under Keefe isn't running and gunning (if they were their overall mediocre D group would get continuously murdered) and again, Nylander's not been a regular line-mate of neither Matthews nor Marner. On the contrary, he's sometimes been buried behind Marner. Nylander some playoffs back was even taken off PP1. You think he would be taken off Nashville's first PP unit?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
I give the nod slightly to Forsberg because he's had greater success in the Playoffs. Otherwise, pretty even.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Nylander is obviously having quite the year this year, career year.
Forsberg has a higher points per game average if you look from the 17-18 season, or the 18-19 season, so over their careers its been very even.
This season il give a slight nudge to Willy, but Forsberg has also never played with the likes of Matthews and Marner. He does have Josi on his side though.
Its very close honestly.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Nylander is obviously having quite the year this year, career year.
Forsberg has a higher points per game average if you look from the 17-18 season, or the 18-19 season, so over their careers its been very even.
This season il give a slight nudge to Willy, but Forsberg has also never played with the likes of Matthews and Marner. He does have Josi on his side though.
Its very close honestly.

Nylander doesn't play with Matthews and Marner either. I wish the Leafs would try stacking their first line with Marner - Matthews - Nylander but they never do. Nylander wasn't even on the first unit PP with them most of his career.

He's playing with an aging Tavares and a snakebit Bertuzzi most of the season. Both players have now started to turn it around but still have worse stats than Forsberg's linemates.

I actually think Forsberg has the better linemates. RoR & Nyquist were better than Tavares and Bertuzzi this season.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nylander doesn't play with Matthews and Marner either. I wish the Leafs would try stacking their first line with Marner - Matthews - Nylander but they never do. Nylander wasn't even on the first unit PP with them most of his career.

He's playing with an aging Tavares and a snakebit Bertuzzi most of the season. Both players have now started to turn it around but still have worse stats than Forsberg's linemates.

I actually think Forsberg has the better linemates. RoR & Nyquist were better than Tavares and Bertuzzi this season.
Which means Forsberg is drawing the opponents top defenders.

Reactions: biturbo19

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden

As I said this year he is having a career year.
Playing with Tavares in the previous years isnt too shabby. And in previous year its very close, if we remove this year I give Forsberg the edge.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Which means Forsberg is drawing the opponents top defenders.

Yeah. People often overlook this as a factor when talking about the caliber of surrounding cast.

With Nashville, through his entire career...where Forsberg goes, is automatically the "Top Line" and the one that opposition will focus all their their top defensive matchup players on shutting down. That's harder to do than mop up duty. So it doesn't just matter who they're directly playing with, the quality of teammates can have a really big impact beyond that as well. Especially when it also tends to influence powerplay productivity and all of those things as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad