Votes: 56 39.7%
  • Nylander

Votes: 76 53.9%
  • Even

Votes: 9 6.4%

• Total voters

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Nylander but Forsberg is a very good and underrated player. Closer than the points would tell you

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Pretty comfortably Nylander. He just has so many more dimensions to his offensive game than Forsberg.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
If we're talking this season, it's Nylander.

Currently 7th in points and PPG, and 9th in goals and GPG.

Assuming Nylander maintains his current pace, that's a more productive season than anything Forsberg has done in his career.

That being said, Forsberg is pretty underrated and has quietly been one of the best goalscorers in the league when at the top of his game. Including this year, he's finished top 10 in goals 3 times (9, 9, 10)

Reactions: authentic

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Forsberg is a much better goalscorer. Nylander plays with much better goalscorers.

Based on what? They’ve scored goals at a near equal rate this year and both will top 40. Both have 1 other 40 goal season, though Forsberg paced for 50 in his year while missing 13 games. But Forsberg has generally been in the 30+ pace range for most of his career outside of those two seasons. Over the last 3 years, Forsberg has scored 43 goals per 82 compared to 40 per 82 for Nylander. Over the last 5, Nylander has averaged 38 per 82 to Forsberg’s 37. Forsberg might be a bit better when you consider his surroundings, but not much better.

Reactions: wetcoast

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Two studs but give me Forsberg

Doesn't have the talent around him like Nylander does, forechecks hard and will chuck em

Reactions: HabzSauce

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I’d say Forsberg at his very peak a few years ago was almost as good as Nylander this year. Nylander has a more refined offensive game while Forsberg is more physical. If Nylander can maintain this level of play he’s a top 10 player in the league easily, but that remains to be seen. He has a higher ceiling than Forsberg.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Based on what? They’ve scored goals at a near equal rate this year and both will top 40. Both have 1 other 40 goal season, though Forsberg paced for 50 in his year while missing 13 games. But Forsberg has generally been in the 30+ pace range for most of his career outside of those two seasons. Over the last 3 years, Forsberg has scored 43 goals per 82 compared to 40 per 82 for Nylander. Over the last 5, Nylander has averaged 38 per 82 to Forsberg’s 37. Forsberg might be a bit better when you consider his surroundings, but not much better.
This is not really accurate. I get that teams have to focus on the Matthews -
marner line as well which might open up slightly more opportunities for Nylander’s line, but his line mates have for most part been a down hill Tavares and/or 3rd liners. Aside for Pettersson he’s currently playing with the weakest line mates of any player anywhere near the top 10 in scoring.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Forsberg might be a bit better when you consider his surroundings, but not much better.

Josi is a miles better D and PP quarterback than anything on the Leafs, and Nylander doesn't play with Marner or Matthews 5-on-5, his most 'prolific' line-mate being washed up cement-footed John Tavares who is outscored this season by Gustav Nyquist. How is playing with guys like O'Reilly and Josi on the PP while being the designated trigger guy bad surroundings.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Josi is a miles better D and PP quarterback than anything on the Leafs, and Nylander doesn't play with Marner or Matthews 5-on-5, his most 'prolific' line-mate being washed up cement-footed John Tavares who is outscored this season by Gustav Nyquist. How is playing with guys like O'Reilly and Josi on the PP while being the designated trigger guy bad surroundings.

I was talking about goal scoring specifically and using multiple years, and never had the term “bad surroundings”. The Leafs have a better PP and Nylander’s goals are more PP heavy, where he’s less of a focus in trying to stop since they have Matthews. Being the trigger man can help, but it can also mean too much focus on you.

Also, ROR is still a good all around player but his 5v5 scoring isn’t a strong suit anymore similar to Tavares. Nyquist is pretty meh despite his point totals this year. And since I was talking about a bigger sample, Tavares has been better in other years, and last year and in ‘20 and ‘21, Forsberg had poor help.

Last edited:

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Tbh I think it’s pretty close, perhaps dead even

Looking at the past:

both established themselves as top liners at 20 years old, forsberg broke out 17-18, nylander 19-20

Since their respective breakouts, nylander has 361 in 351 and Forsberg has 398 in 423

Almost identical goal scorers, nylander a bit better at playmaking, but nylanders done his elite player for an entire year less, as 2018-19 he was awful so that should be a knock against him

Keep in mind Forsberg plays with much less talent, on a lower scoring team, but for the past two season nylander has really helped carry the offensive load.

I’d honestly have them dead even, forsberg’s high end year was 2021-2022 and nylanders is this year.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

5v5, Forsberg has basically been outscoring Nylander over their entire careers. Despite playing 42 less games, he's outscored Nylander over the last three seasons too, which are arguably the best seasons of Nylander's career. So, based on that.

I still voted for even, however. I just think Forsberg is the better goalscorer. Nylander is better at other things.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If you offered me either of these players to play with fellow Swede Pettersson for the rest of the year and whatever playoffs...

I'd take Forsberg without blinking.

So that's my answer.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Forsberg
112 goals in his last 229 games (18:14 minutes per game)

Nylander
113 goals in his last 232 games (18:52 minutes per game)

Last three years 5v5:

Forsberg
64 goals in 190 games (1.49 g/60)

Nylander
61 goals in 233 games (1.13 g/60)

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Forsberg is seriously underrated. He's a great goal scorer, and plays a heavy game. He reminds me of a mini Rick Nash sometimes, and I say that as a huge compliment.

But this in Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad