Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Oh to imagine the Rangers being able to grab Keller in 2016 Pettersson in 2017.

Rangers didn't tank hard enough. If you suck long enough you will be able to accumulate good players. Just look at Colorado. And to a lesser extent Vancouver. They didn't stop tanking once they got a couple high end picks. They did it for years, had a couple busts/underwhelming picks but when you go to the well enough times you're bound to end up with some gold. Even Edmonton who has a horrible hit rate, still ended up with the best prospect of all time (since Lemieux at least) and another franchise forward.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Rangers didn't tank hard enough. If you suck long enough you will be able to accumulate good players. Just look at Colorado. And to a lesser extent Vancouver. They didn't stop tanking once they got a couple high end picks. They did it for years, had a couple busts/underwhelming picks but when you go to the well enough times you're bound to end up with some gold. Even Edmonton who has a horrible hit rate, still ended up with the best prospect of all time (since Lemieux at least) and another franchise forward.

In all fairness, they traded Stepan for the #7 pick in 2017 hoping Pettersson fell to them, but he ended up going at #5. They did come really close there. Seems like they have struck gold with Chytil at #21 that year, though.

Rangers didn't even have a first-round pick in 2016.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
In all fairness, they traded Stepan for the #7 pick in 2017 hoping Pettersson fell to them, but he ended up going at #5. They did come really close there. Seems like they have struck gold with Chytil at #21 that year, though.

Rangers didn't even have a first-round pick in 2016.

Well they were still competing in 2016. Its not like we traded away a top 10 pick. Even in 2017 they competed, probably should have made it to the ECF. Maybe it was fools gold, but still. You want to build a team like Colorado, you gotta be willing to be completely irrelevant for a decade, and also get some good luck. Considering we're only 2 years removed from being a playoff team, I think we're in good shape. Yeah it would be nice to have been able to draft top 10 or top 5 in 2015, 2016, 2017 but that would mean we'd be on year 5+ of being a garbage basement dweller like the Devils. The 2 teams in the finals last year and who also look like 2 of the best teams again this year were built not on lottery luck, but good all-round team building.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think in this case, it's also a little bit of luck and just how things fall.

In 2016, the Rangers had a deal in place for the fourth overall pick. Unfortunately, the deal was contingent on JP going third. When that didn't happen, the deal went with it.

In 2017, Pettersson was their guy, but he was also Vancouver's guy. They were the one variable and so the Rangers didn't nab Pettersson. If Vancouver takes Mittelstadt in that spot, Pettersson is a Ranger. Though one could probably argue that if he keeps doing what he's doing, Chytil could emerge as a very capable consolation prize when all is said and done.

Likewise, that's one of the nice things with Kakko. The Rangers didn't have to go with a Plan B, or at the very least didn't have to experience a huge drop with their Plan B.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I mean, it’s not like the Rangers don’t still suck

Reactions: jas and Phnxldr

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The weird thing is that if Chytil can more or less keep up his performance and output like he's doing, he's essentially at the same pace Pettersson was last year. Even though they were both first round picks in 2017, Chytil is almost a full year younger than Pettersson.

The question would than be whether Chytil can crank it up even further and hit the same level next year that Pettersson is hitting this year.

But that's still a long way down the road.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So since in Andersson was the "safe pick", do you guys think that without that trade they still pick Chytil at 21 after not having a 1st rounder for years on end?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The weird thing is that if Chytil can more or less keep up his performance and output like he's doing, he's essentially at the same pace Pettersson was last year. Even though they were both first round picks in 2017, Chytil is almost a full year younger than Pettersson.

The question would than be whether Chytil can crank it up even further and hit the same level next year that Pettersson is hitting this year.

But that's still a long way down the road.

I'd be completely ecstatic if Chytil hits 66 points this year (what Pettersson hit last year).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd be completely ecstatic if Chytil hits 66 points this year (what Pettersson hit last year).

Right now he's on a 58 point pace, with roughly the same amount of games being possible. So he's about 8 points off what Pettersson did last year. However, he's much heavier on the goals.

Again, before anyone gets bent out of shape, this is more of a fun comment than an actual analysis at this point. There's still plenty of hockey to go, and you can't rely too heavily on small sample sizes.

It's merely to point out that from a contextual standpoint, where Chytil is this season can more easily be viewed through the prism of where Pettersson was last season.

Reactions: bhamill

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I keep hearing about this whole "well if Chytil was 7 and Andersson was 21 we'd all be happy" shtick but I don't think it's that simple.

We need to analyze why Andersson was chosen at 7, or maybe in the first round at all. We heard "can step into the NHL very soon" "high motor, highly competitive" "leadership material" "jack of all trades" "3C at the minimum" regarding the player to justify where he was chosen and absolutely none of this has materialized consistently. You don't need years to develop a motor, or compete level, or even a win at all costs attitude.

These were the reasons we justified Lias over someone like Vilardi or Mittlestadt and not only have they not materialized, they look to be largely bull shit. Frankly Lias is looking like he had no business being chosen in the 1st round considering the reasons he was in the high pick conversation at all are probably his most significant weaknesses at the NHL level.

Yeah sure picking him at 21 in theory decreases expectations and reactions but there's no way you can say Lias has been anything but a disappointment up until now. If we drafted an offensively gifted project that had significant holes to be addressed, that is another thing entirely. This is a player who's complete game, intangibles, an NHL readiness put him on the map and these are looking to be his biggest weaknesses over his now three year career.

Reactions: Inferno

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So since in Andersson was the "safe pick", do you guys think that without that trade they still pick Chytil at 21 after not having a 1st rounder for years on end?

Hard to say, but my guess is yes.

I think he was a guy they targeted and, for the most part, they've tended to their guns in that regard. I think the scenario probably helped their comfort level, but I don't think it changed their pick per se.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I keep hearing about this whole "well if Chytil was 7 and Andersson was 21 we'd all be happy" shtick but I don't think it's that simple.

We need to analyze why Andersson was chosen at 7, or maybe in the first round at all. We heard "can step into the NHL very soon" "high motor, highly competitive" "leadership material" "jack of all trades" "3C at the minimum" regarding the player to justify where he was chosen and absolutely none of this has materialized consistently. You don't need years to develop a motor, or compete level, or even a win at all costs attitude.

These were the reasons we justified Lias over someone like Vilardi or Mittlestadt and not only have they not materialized, they look to be largely bull ****. Frankly Lias is looking like he had no business being chosen in the 1st round considering the reasons he was in the high pick conversation at all are probably his most significant weaknesses at the NHL level.

Yeah sure picking him at 21 in theory decreases expectations and reactions but there's no way you can say Lias has been anything but a disappointment up until now. If we drafted an offensively gifted project that had significant holes to be addressed, that is another thing entirely. This is a player who's complete game, intangibles, an NHL readiness put him on the map and these are looking to be his biggest weaknesses over his now three year career.
The reason is very simple, it’s because the draft is a guessing game and sometimes you guess wrong. There doesn’t need to be a perfect explanation for why a pick doesn’t turn to what you want them to be, it happens over and over and over every single draft.

Imo Lias being a 3C with a good motor who can do a little of everything isn’t at all unrealistic. He’s 21 and hasn’t played a single season worth of games yet.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The reason is very simple, it’s because the draft is a guessing game and sometimes you guess wrong. There doesn’t need to be a perfect explanation for why a pick doesn’t turn to what you want them to be, it happens over and over and over every single draft.

Yes........I understand that. I'm just saying that at this point I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed with where Lias is at right now even if he was picked at 21.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

These were the reasons we justified Lias over someone like Vilardi or Mittlestadt and not only have they not materialized, they look to be largely bull ****. Frankly Lias is looking like he had no business being chosen in the 1st round considering the reasons he was in the high pick conversation at all are probably his most significant weaknesses at the NHL level.

This is absurd....he was roughly .5 PPG in the Swedish Elite league in his draft year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This is absurd....he was roughly .5 PPG in the Swedish Elite league in his draft year.

The justification that lept him over the more risky picks (in NYR's case) was his relatively safe ceiling and intangibles, was it not?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

Networks say that kind of stuff about every two way center that gets picked in the top 20. They act like just because a player plays a more NHLy style, that they can step in quicker than guys that don’t. Sometimes they’re right (Bo Horvat), sometimes they’re wrong (Andersson, Hayton)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes........I understand that. I'm just saying that at this point I don't think it's unfair to be disappointed with where Lias is at right now even if he was picked at 21.

I think that last part is where it gets tricky.

I think the big problem has been that last jump to the NHL, because the SHL and even the AHL numbers have been solid --- especially for his age bracket.

He's been hovering "around" the NHL for so long that it feels stagnant. If he's dominating teenage players, or continuing his SHL play, I'm doubtful people feel disappointed.

I think Lias exists in a sort of weird zone that people struggle to gauge.

Reactions: belford22

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
With all due respect I don’t see what any of Necas, Glass or Thomas has done to put them ahead of Chytil.
I do get to watch Necas play quite a bit and he is the real deal. Extremely fast and can put the puck in the net. With that said, I still think Chytil has more upside. I know we talk about him as a 2C, but I think he has the potential to be a very good 1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad