Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Whatever it is, him getting hit hard behind the net on his next (and last) shift couldn't of helped.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Re-watched the segment of the game where he gets hurt. On replay you can see that the initial contact of the hit was on his left glove as he was extending his arms. His left arm immediately curled as he was in pain on the ice. Immediately after, on the bench he had his left glove off and Rammer was working on his wrist area. Coming back from tv timeout they showed him in discomfort on the bench and Howden said something to him and he took his mouth piece out and seems to say 'f***ing wrist'. He takes one shift and he seems to be able to handle the puck (left hand is his bottom hand) and even take a hit but then at the end of shift as play leaves the Pens zone you see him favoring the left arm again.

Just supposition of course but best case is a minor sprained wrist with a fracture being the worst. Likely going for MRIs to clear whatever they did/did not see on initial x-rays.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Every team is dealing with serious injuries to important players to start this season . It was nice to think it wouldn’t happen to us but it has and will, every team deals with it we can’t use it as an excuse we have enough skilled forwards on the team to make up for his absence ... you would think

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Every team is dealing with serious injuries to important players to start this season . It was nice to think it wouldn’t happen to us but it has and will, every team deals with it we can’t use it as an excuse we have enough skilled forwards on the team to make up for his absence ... you would think
It ain't Dach-level wristage luckily.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
It just sucks that it happened to the one position that we have terrible depth in. We literally could have taken an injury at any other position and probably been ok.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Sometimes he reminds me of Havlat (though not as fast as Havvy). And now he is building the injury CV to match.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Sometimes he reminds me of Havlat

In what way? I really don't see that one. I do see a resemblance between Chytil's game and a young Mika Zibanejad's though, so that's rather promising.

Early in his career, Havlat was a guy who seemingly always made the right play, to the point where you felt like if there were five Martin Havlat's on the ice, they'd never lose the puck. It's the same feeling you get watching Adam Fox at times. If only the Senators hadn't buried him on the third line — solely to save money on his contract — he could have challenged for the Art Ross and been remembered among the game's greats. Then came the injuries. What could/should have been...

Reactions: CasusBelli

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Sometimes he reminds me of Havlat (though not as fast as Havvy). And now he is building the injury CV to match.
Chytil is not as elusive As havlat was. He is bigger and when he gets more experience I think he will drive to the net more then havlat did. I also think havlat was faster and more of a breakaway type threat with his speed. I can see the comparison when you see Chytil going thru his legs and making shifty little moves in tight on the net. I think havlat also had a better wrist shot. Not that chytils is bad, he needs to use it more in fact, but Marty had a hard accurate shot and would pick the top corners or thru the 5-hole. Chytil has shown glimpses of his shot and I think it will get better the more he develops and the more he shoots the puck. I see a bigger slower Hertl in Chytil. Or a more talented version of micheal Handzus with a better speed and a better shot

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
In what way? I really don't see that one. I do see a resemblance between Chytil's game and a young Mika Zibanejad's though, so that's rather promising.

Early in his career, Havlat was a guy who seemingly always made the right play, to the point where you felt like if there were five Martin Havlat's on the ice, they'd never lose the puck. It's the same feeling you get watching Adam Fox at times. If only the Senators hadn't buried him on the third line — solely to save money on his contract — he could have challenged for the Art Ross and been remembered among the game's greats. Then came the injuries. What could/should have been...

I see a lot of agility, stop-and-go and speed. I think the two were also close in size and build. Havlat was more explosive and a better sniper, if memory serves me right, but I think you’re right after reflecting in this one a bit more. And yes ... the decision to put him on the third line was dreadful. Who was his center again? Todd White? Good grief.

Reactions: Smart Alek

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Chytil is not as elusive As havlat was. He is bigger and when he gets more experience I think he will drive to the net more then havlat did. I also think havlat was faster and more of a breakaway type threat with his speed. I can see the comparison when you see Chytil going thru his legs and making shifty little moves in tight on the net. I think havlat also had a better wrist shot. Not that chytils is bad, he needs to use it more in fact, but Marty had a hard accurate shot and would pick the top corners or thru the 5-hole. Chytil has shown glimpses of his shot and I think it will get better the more he develops and the more he shoots the puck. I see a bigger slower Hertl in Chytil. Or a more talented version of micheal Handzus with a better speed and a better shot
This is all fair, but I think Handzus is primarily known for defensive play and faceoff ability, not so much skating. Otherwise I can’t disagree with your remarks.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This is all fair, but I think Handzus is primarily known for defensive play and faceoff ability, not so much skating. Otherwise I can’t disagree with your remarks.
Yea Zeus was a pretty good player in his philly days. Definitely a better defensive center then Chytil is ATM. I feel bad for Fil because you can tell he’s worked hard and looking to break out. He was really starting to come on against Pitt. Hopefully he’s not out too long and when he returns it doesn’t take him to long to get his groove back

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yea Zeus was a pretty good player in his philly days. Definitely a better defensive center then Chytil is ATM. I feel bad for Fil because you can tell he’s worked hard and looking to break out. He was really starting to come on against Pitt. Hopefully he’s not out too long and when he returns it doesn’t take him to long to get his groove back
I think he’s going to become a very streaky player, exciting and perhaps frustrating at the same time. His puck control and shot could use some improvement, but his deking and skating are solid. Not sure if I want him to get stronger. He’s quite lanky, but I think that works in his favor.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I think he’s going to become a very streaky player, exciting and perhaps frustrating at the same time. His puck control and shot could use some improvement, but his deking and skating are solid. Not sure if I want him to get stronger. He’s quite lanky, but I think that works in his favor.
He is streaky but I guess the exciting part is that players usually become more consistent with age and maturity. Crazy to think he's only 21, feels like he's been around forever.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Rodrigues needs to eat a fist or five if he plays in NY this week.

Well good news for yinz, he's out longer-term himself after a collision with *drumroll* Filip Chytil on the same play.

Oi. Hope for quick recoveries for both and for a quick return to the line-up for Chytil and a quick return to being a healthy scratch for Rodrigues. Chytil impressed me a good deal.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad