Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
The Journey: Redrafting the 2017 NHL Entry Draft | DobberHockey – Fantasy NHL Projections and Analysis

Thought it was an interesting and relevant recent article. Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the 2017 draft. I might put Necas at 3, Heiskenen at 4, Chytil at 5 and then Hischier. I actually think both Necas need Chytil could turn out being better than Hischier. But that’s really my only change in the top 6.

Two huge steals in that draft, Necas and Chytil. Couldn’t agree more. Which is still kind of amazing considering Glass and others should still turn out to be terrific players.

Both the Devils and Flyers could have had Makar, Pettersson or Heiskenen. Passing on Makar and Pettersson specifically though must be a bit painful. Not sure I can remember a draft where the consensus first two picks turned out to be relatively good and a bust respectively. Philly really blew it with the Patrick pick though.

Last edited:

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

Would we trade Lias and Chytil for Rob Thomas and Cale Fleury (our 7 and 21 for the new 7 and 21)? I say no. The *quality* of Chytil might end up better that the *quantity* of Thomas and Fleury. And this is assuming Lias returns zero assets.

Also interesting that Lias dropped 16 spots, but so did Casey Middlestat, and Tippet dropped 17. Seems there were multiple landmines at #7 OA,

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Would we trade Lias and Chytil for Rob Thomas and Cale Fleury (our 7 and 21 for the new 7 and 21)? I say no. The *quality* of Chytil might end up better that the *quantity* of Thomas and Fleury. And this is assuming Lias returns zero assets.

Also interesting that Lias dropped 16 spots, but so did Casey Middlestat, and Tippet dropped 17. Seems there were multiple landmines at #7 OA,
If we drafted Necas instead of Lias...well I'm happy with Chytil. Btw, happy New year for everybody!

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Is the consensus that Chytil is a step above Thomas? I always saw Thomas becoming a very strong 2C and pretty much on par with Chytil.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Is the consensus that Chytil is a step above Thomas? I always saw Thomas becoming a very strong 2C and pretty much on par with Chytil.

I think it comes to ceiling. I like Thomas, and a solid 2C is where i peg him, which is great. I hate to play the "player x looks like player y game and they are on the same team" stuff, but i can see Chytil following Zibanejad, where the combo of size, smarts, and dynamic style gets him into real 1C territory down the line.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
I think it comes to ceiling. I like Thomas, and a solid 2C is where i peg him, which is great. I hate to play the "player x looks like player y game and they are on the same team" stuff, but i can see Chytil following Zibanejad, where the combo of size, smarts, and dynamic style gets him into real 1C territory down the line.

No, you're right. Chytil plays remarkably similar to Zibanejad at the same age in Ottawa. He showed flashes of his tremendous skill at the time, but was still putting it all together. And they skate and move so similarly... I too expect Chytil's development to follow the same path.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Off the wall guy Chytil reminds me of: Chris Drury before he got depression.

Good defensive impacts, not a bruiser but wins battles, will score sloppy goals.

Reactions: Leetch3

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i dont see a drury comp at all. chytil is a driver of play, while drury was mostly a support player. drury was a fast skater when he was with colorado, but chytil is a fast and powerful skater. in his prime, he will be the type of skater than can hold on to the puck with players draped all over him. the end product may be the same in terms of goals and points, but thats about it.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Although he hasn’t yet been able to consistently capitalize on his playmaking opportunities, Chytil’s ability to both bypass defenders with speed along the walls and cut to the goaltender for a close shot is particularly well established for a player his age and size. We’ve seen with Kreider that speed and power in the slot can be like a bull in a china shop, but Chytil is skilled in using his body as protection.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Only 20 and years away from his “ man strength” Chytil already showing glimpses of how strong he’s going to be. IMHO he will be a level stronger than Zibanejad, close to Scheifele or Wheeler’s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad