Player Discussion Filip Chytil: Part II (Chytil to miss rest of 2023-24 Season)

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Strome has had his moments and hes been a good player, but his production has been relatively quiet if not opportunistic.
Quiet, opportunistic,... Hardly.

Panarin's first goal was all due to Strome's ability to pickpocket Karlsson and deliver a perfect pass under pressure from 4 Shark defenders. At the 5 and 29 second mark, Skjei tries to get Strome the puck, Karlsson intercepts and is ready to turn it up ice,.. where at exactly that second, Strome hacks his stick, forcing the turnover and makes the perfect pass to an open Panarin on the other side. Strome is way underrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Quite, opportunistic,... Hardly.

Panarin's first goal was all due to Strome's ability to pickpocket Carlson and deliver a perfect pass under pressure from 4 L.A. defenders. At the 5 second mark, Skjei tries to get Strome the puck, Carlson intercepts and is ready to turn it up ice,.. where at exactly that second, Strome hacks Carlson's stick forces the turnover and makes the perfect pass to an open Panarin. Strome is way underrated.

One example proves your point...

He's had his moments this year, but honestly his production is pretty quiet on the whole.

Also Karlsson and SJ, not Carlson and LA.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
but honestly his production is pretty quiet on the whole.

Yeah I knew the minute I spelled his name, it was wrong. Changed it. And thanks for reminding me it was S.J. Watching the video, those black jerseys threw me off.

But honestly, how can you possibly say his production on the whole is quiet? He has 27 pts in 31 games. He has become a bona fide centerman. He showed signs of this last year, when he joined the club. I honestly don't know where we would be without him this year. Especially with Zibad getting injured. He has got to be the most surprising player so far this year. Who would have thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: kovazub94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
1. Panarin
2. Fox
3. Zibanejad
4. Strome
5. Buchnevich
6. DeAngelo
7. Chytil
8. Trouba
9. Georgiev
10.Lundqvist

Fox/Zib are the only ones who have an argument imo.

DeAngelo is close. But if we're being honest, this team started playing better when 2 things happened.

- Chytil was recalled.

- Staal was scratched/Injured.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
1. Panarin
2. Fox
3. Zibanejad
4. Strome
5. Buchnevich
6. DeAngelo
7. Chytil
8. Trouba
9. Georgiev
10.Lundqvist
I think Georgie should be higher up on that list. It seems like every time we needed a win, he was there to supply it.

But this is a Chytil thread and should be given some due. He continues to impress with some fancy moves. Just needs to be more consistent. I think that assist last night was his first in a while. Even though he is a youngster and needs to learn a 200 foot game, all our hopes are based on his offensive ability. Which includes putting points on the board on a regular basis. There is no doubt he has the tools.

Last edited:

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Does chytil remind anyone of a young zibanjed? Similar size and skating ability. I feel like filip has tried to emulate mikas game and I love that
I could see it, stylistically he's reminded me of Johansen when he was with the blue jackets

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I could see it, stylistically he's reminded me of Johansen when he was with the blue jackets

Johansen brings more grit, something I have not seen much from Chytil. I def see Kopitar in him although I don't think Chytil is that good defensively like Kopitar is yet

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He will be such a power forward. He's already gotten much stronger.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He will be such a power forward. He's already gotten much stronger.

Yeah there are times where it looks like defenders are basically trying to move earth when trying to knock him off the puck.

It's a little aggravating because all the pieces are soooo close to coming together for him, but they aren't quite there yet.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
1. Panarin
2. Fox
3. Zibanejad
4. Strome
5. Buchnevich
6. DeAngelo
7. Chytil
8. Trouba
9. Georgiev
10.Lundqvist

Yeah, I really like Chytil --- especially his long-term future. But holy cow, do we trip over our own dicks when it comes to heaping praise on him sometimes. :laugh:

The dude hasn't scored a goal since November 29th. He has one point in the month of December.

Outside of his explosion, post-recall, he has two goals and two assist over the last month.

Again, that's not a knock on his potential, but he's not our second best player.

Reactions: haveandare

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah, I really like Chytil --- especially his long-term future. But holy cow, do we trip over our own dicks when it comes to heaping praise on him sometimes. :laugh:

The dude hasn't scored a goal since November 29th. He has one point in the month of December.

Outside of his explosion, post-recall, he has two goals and two assist over the last month.

Again, that's not a knock on his potential, but he's not our second best player.

Production isn't always indicative of how someone is playing.

His game has been pretty f***ing consistent no matter who hes played with or where hes been slotted in the lineup.

There are other guys who have been pretty productive in the last month who honestly haven't played all that well.

It'd also help if Buchnevich, Kreider and Fast stopped beefing every high danger opportunity that he sets them up for. This has happened a lot.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

I call those "Chytil Moments," like that behind the back dish to himself and centering feed to Fast against SJ. Moments of ecstasy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Production isn't always indicative of how someone is playing.

His game has been pretty ****ing consistent no matter who hes played with or where hes been slotted in the lineup.

There are other guys who have been pretty productive in the last month who honestly haven't played all that well.

It'd also help if Buchnevich, Kreider and Fast stopped beefing every high danger opportunity that he sets them up for. This has happened a lot.

I get that, within reason. But this isn't a new phenomenon either. I felt like we saw this last year when he completely disappeared for a couple of months.

Chytil has been good, but there's a propensity to constantly overstate things associated with him. On a given day, he's the second coming of Zibanejad, our second best player, etc.

And he's good. At times very good. But then we take a deeper dive into the Zibanejad comparison we find that he's not quite on that pace. Or we dive into where he ranks on this team and find that second is really being pretty generous.

It's like catching a fish, but not quite being satisfied with the catch. It wasn't 18 inches, it was 20. It wasn't 10 pounds, it was 14. Sometimes the catch is just fine being what it is. Chytil is a good catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Have you seen Chytil skate?

His wheels are one of the best parts of his game. Zibanejad isn't a sloth, but he's not as fast or smooth as Chytil.
I have. Have you seen Zbad turn on the jets? He blows by everyone no matter with or without the puck, and gets his ass back on the back check quicker than anyone on the team. It's a deceptive stride but he burns these days. Opposing broadcasts all revel in his wheels and agility using them. Chytil's great, and in 2 years might very well surpass Zbad, but it's clear to me that Zbad is the most fluid, agile, balanced and quickest (not necessarily CK top end speed though) skater on the team.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I get that, within reason. But this isn't a new phenomenon either. I felt like we saw this last year when he completely disappeared for a couple of months.

Chytil has been good, but there's a propensity to constantly overstate things associated with him. On a given day, he's the second coming of Zibanejad, our second best player, etc.

And he's good. At times very good. But then we take a deeper dive into the Zibanejad comparison we find that he's not quite on that pace. Or we dive into where he ranks on this team and find that second is really being pretty generous.

It's like catching a fish, but not quite being satisfied with the catch. It wasn't 18 inches, it was 20. It wasn't 10 pounds, it was 14. Sometimes the catch is just fine being what it is. Chytil is a good catch.

I agree in the present but I think Chytil has a chance to grow into a 20 pound fish.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

thats the thing, I don’t think his play has fallen off at all during this “dry spell.”

His usage has been strange but it hasn’t really effected his game at all. Last season his production and performance fell off the map, can’t say that’s happened so far this year.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
thats the thing, I don’t think his play has fallen off at all during this “dry spell.”

His usage has been strange but it hasn’t really effected his game at all. Last season his production and performance fell off the map, can’t say that’s happened so far this year.

I gotcha.

I don’t think he’s been bad, at all really. Still don’t think he’s been the second best Ranger this season, or top five.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Have you seen Chytil skate?

His wheels are one of the best parts of his game. Zibanejad isn't a sloth, but he's not as fast or smooth as Chytil.

Different styles of skaters. I’d say they’re about equal.

Zbad is a more powerful skater and deceptively fast with those long strides. His burst is elite. His skating style is kinda like Eichel’s.

Chytil is more of a crossover and tight turns guy. Kinda like Mat Barzal.

I’d say Barzal and Eichel are about equal in skating ability, just different stylistically like Z and Fil.

Reactions: romba

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4