Player Discussion Filip Chytil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The Leafs drafted Marner and Nylander as centers, and if not for a contract stalemate, both would be playing on the wing with Matthews and Tavares occupying the top two center spots.

If the Rangers find themselves in a situation where Hughes is on the team, and Howden has progressed into a promising, top-end third line center, I'm not really concerned if two of Zibanejad, Chytil or Andersson has to move to the wing --- assuming someone wasn't moved to kick the defense up a notch.

This would be the hockey equivalent of a first-world problem.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to send the young guy back to the AHL. Chytil needs to play. The Rangers don't have a spot for him at center.

Pavel Buchnevich, reinstated after sitting Tuesday as a scratch, was so-so in 10:30 that did not include a second of power-play time. Filip Chytil, who opened on left wing, finished the night as fourth-line center, getting two shifts for 2:34 in the third. He did not get off the bench for the final 12:11 of regulation plus the OT.

“I don’t think it’s positional. It’s mental,” coach David Quinn said. “He’s fighting it a little bit. Maybe back-to-back was a little too much for him. I think he’s [pressing] to score a goal and once, he does, the floodgates will open for him.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/17/lundqvist-no-match-for-ovechkin-again-as-rangers-fall-in-ot/

The Rangers have some "rebuild" going on here.

Andersson is in the AHL.

Chytil was not receiving enough ice time at center so Quinny puts him on the wing and Chytil sees his ice time dwindle at left wing.

He played 12:34 last night. The Rangers should send to the AHL.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.08.40 AM.png

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
2 more games for Chytil before it's decision-time

I think he is going to split time between the AHL and the NHL this season and really I'd send him down now. I'd expect in Hartford he'll get his offensive confidence back and then the Rangers could recall him. So I'm not that concerned about the 9 game threshold. I expect he's going to get 30-40 games for us anyway this year. He's made significant improvement from where he was last year but he does seem a bit lost right now. There are a few things he can work on---face-offs for one--using his size to better physical advantage for another. There are things about him that remind me a lot of Mika Zibanejad but Mika also had to go through growing pains.

...and if he goes down I'd consider bringing up Lias who has been doing pretty well though it may be the same for him--he'll be up and down this year.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I thought he looked very apprehensive last night. He has the skills to get where he needs to get, and we know he is talented offensively, but he made some bad reads on the attack last night. He was great along the boards, and was a really solid puck retriever, but it seemed like whenever he had any actual time with the puck he would make the first decision that became available to him instead of waiting for the play to develop.

I also fully understand he is a Center playing Wing, but that doesn't mean he is free from criticism.

On the play where Chytil carried the puck in on a 3 on 2, he had numbers yet just weakly backhanded the puck towards the net and killed the play. I hate to copy Brian Boucher's analysis, but he was right. Chytil could have done himself a favor if he either held the puck a bit longer, or pulled up and switched to his forehand to open up more options to himself.

There was another play where he won a battle along the boards and had all kinds of room to try and find somebody open, but he immediately threw the puck towards the front of the goal with nobody in white there. Not a bad play if there are no other options, but thats a case where you have to opportunity to let a play develop. He created the time for himself, yet he didn't use it to his advantage.

This ability to recognize how a play is unfolding and picking your spots is not an ability that comes naturally to very many rookies so I'm not trying to attack Chytil, but he certainly has a lot to learn.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
What I have noticed with Chytil is that he is going to have to figure out how to get his shot through. He has had sooo many shots harmlessly deflected away with a stick in the lane. So, yeah is shot generation metrics are going to look good, but how many of those shto attempts have actually gotten through? Not many....

Between that and learning when he can and when he can not beat a defender 1 v 1 are his biggest stumbling blocks right now. Those are two things that I feel he has to learn at the NHL level as he can probably get away with them in the AHL. JMHO

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
What I have noticed with Chytil is that he is going to have to figure out how to get his shot through. He has had sooo many shots harmlessly deflected away with a stick in the lane. So, yeah is shot generation metrics are going to look good, but how many of those shto attempts have actually gotten through? Not many....

Between that and learning when he can and when he can not beat a defender 1 v 1 are his biggest stumbling blocks right now. Those are two things that I feel he has to learn at the NHL level as he can probably get away with them in the AHL. JMHO

If its a confidence issue, sending him down and giving him big minutes would be the right decision.
If its a "learning the NHL game" issue, then he is probably best served staying with the big club.

I am of the opinion that its a little of column A and a little of column B.

its definitely a tough call, and I would totally understand either decision.

I do love how certain people on here think they have everything figured out about what will work for him, when the reality is nobody does. Its all a guessing game. (not referring to you)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I still can’t help but feel Chytil should have started in Hartford.

Not that he still can’t go, but I probably would’ve started him there.

With that said, I expect Andersson and Chytil to get some shuttle miles this season.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
If we send him down, though, becomes: who takes his place? Should we consider swapping him and Andersson periodically? Should we try ADA as a forward?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If we send him down, though, becomes: who takes his place? Should we consider swapping him and Andersson periodically? Should we try ADA as a forward?

I think McLeod takes shifts and someone slides over the center.

I don’t think we’d be looking at a 1 for 1 move.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

if chytil was getting enough minutes that we had to worry about who would replace him, we wouldn't be talking about sending him down to play more

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
if chytil was getting enough minutes that we had to worry about who would replace him, we wouldn't be talking about sending him down to play more

Where in the first two lines would you slide him? I'm iffy about giving him just third line minutes -- and maybe we differ in that respect -- but I think we can all agree that having him on the fourth line is a colossal waste of time.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd say at this point in the season, they might not recall anyone from Hartford just yet. Especially because they're already carrying McLeod and guys like Spooner and Namestnikov can move around a little.

Some of the options in Hartford are younger, so they might want to give them more consistent time.

The most logical choice if they do a recall would be Fogarty because of the role he would be expected to play in the NHL, and because Chytil would slide into a center spot in Hartford.

I think Holland probably stays in Hartford as a veteran presence.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
We're less than 10 games into the season. I don't see why it needs to be all or nothing with him right now. I think Quinn is doing the right thing. Ease him in.

The Rangers don't have a good record but they haven't been getting burned either, which is better than I expected. Ramp up his ice time slowly. He can learn from some of the vets before they get traded at the deadline and then at that point he'll be forced into a top six role. If we're at game 60+ and he's still only getting 10 minutes a night then we have a problem.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Chytil has shown nothing. The Rangers over hype this kid beyond belief. Andersson is a much better player at this point and can do a lot more things to help your team win. Andersson is a gamer. IMO, he doesn't care about Traverse or the pre-season. I think Quinn got mad at him because of that. Who cares. The kid shows up on game day when it matters. Chytil should spend the rest of the year in the AHL where he can figure a lot of things out. Quinn barely gave Fontaine a chance in the pre-season which I didn't understand. Fogarty does deserve a call up on the 4th line. Unfortunately, our GM was stupid and signed Spooner and Naamestnikov instead of trading them in the off-season.

Reactions: TheTakedown

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Quinn keeps jerking Chytil around. He gets 10 minutes of ice against Edmonton. Brooks asks Quinn about Chytil getting 10 minutes. Quinn says you’re right and I need to do a better job. The next game Quinn puts him on the wing. The next game Chytil is benched in the 3rd period.

Carolina sent Necas to the AHL yesterday.

Send Chytil to the AHL.

Quinn coaches like the Rangers are in a battle for a playoff spot and very point is gold.

The Rangers don’t have a spot for Chytil right now. Stop treating him like a hood ornament for the Rangers vaunted rebuild.

Quinny keeps trotting Hayes out there is every situation.

The Rangers kept Howden because they liked his ability to be used on the PK. He doesn’t play much on the PK. The Rangers almost always go with 4 forwards. Zibanejad. Zuccarello. Hayes. Fast. Maybe they sprinkle in one or two more forwards to finish off the PK.

They should send Howden to the AHL too.

The Rangers are full of shit.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Quinn keeps jerking Chytil around. He gets 10 minutes of ice against Edmonton. Brooks asks Quinn about Chytil getting 10 minutes. Quinn says you’re right and I need to do a better job. The next game Quinn puts him on the wing. The next game Chytil is benched in the 3rd period.

Carolina sent Necas to the AHL yesterday.

Send Chytil to the AHL.

Quinn coaches like the Rangers are in a battle for a playoff spot and very point is gold.

The Rangers don’t have a spot for Chytil right now. Stop treating him like a hood ornament for the Rangers vaunted rebuild.

Quinny keeps trotting Hayes out there is every situation.

The Rangers kept Howden because they liked his ability to be used on the PK. He doesn’t play much on the PK. The Rangers almost always go with 4 forwards. Zibanejad. Zuccarello. Hayes. Fast. Maybe they sprinkle in one or two more forwards to finish off the PK.

They should send Howden to the AHL too.

The Rangers are full of ****.

I like how you put things bluntly, however at some point I think the responsibility has to also be put on Gorton.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Beleskey is skating again too--so when he's cleared he goes to Hartford or someone else will have to--barring injury to another player of course.

IMO Chytil needs to learn a few things better--he's a big, strong kid but he doesn't use his size very effectively. He can take a hit--he can't give one. He doesn't bull his way towards the net. He's not creating chemistry with anyone right now which is one of Buchnevich's and Spooner's issues too but those those two can't easily be sent down.

Reactions: TheTakedown
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad