Player Discussion Filip Chlapik (C) re-signed (1-year, 2-way $735k/$70k)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Imagine it took this this long into this thread. Guy plays with plugs up and down AHL to NHL with 0 continuity. Plays with an edge and scores when he actually has the chance. Yet gets ragged on. No pp time, no top 6 time. Solid player, think he needs more of a chance.

He has also been given the Nick Paul treatment a bit as well.. They have transitioned Chlapik out of a top 6 kind of role and projection into a bottom 6 checker.
His rookie year in Belleville looked promising and he followed that up with an excellent training camp. I thought he'd make it that year. Chlapik at this point has to find a way to make it in the bottom 6 and I think has shown he can do that.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
"mediocre AHL guy", "unremarkable", "very ordinary", "career AHLer", "warm body"

Surprised by these comments... I think some people are selling him short because of his statline but seriously, it has to be looked with context. Last year for example, he averaged 8:46 TOI/GP on a rebuilding team playing with many players like Tierney, Ennis, etc but he also played quite a lot with Sabourin and JC Beaudin... I mean, how are you supposed to produce with that ice-time and with those linemates?

Chlapik is a good all around player. He will never be very productive at the NHL level because he is an average skater and while he has a good hockey IQ, it isn't well above average (like a Mark Stone or even Bobby Ryan) to make up for his lack of speed and quickness. And while he has a good skillset, it isn't well above average either. But he can play pro 2-way hockey and isn't "soft" so that makes him a good candidate for the bottom-6

If I had to bet, I'd bet that he plays a few years in the NHL and at least 300 NHL Games. The challenge is that it will be hard for him to stay in the Sens line-up as more talented young players graduate. He might have to prove himself on another team once again. Eventually going back to Europe as he could make as much money there but closer to home.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
"mediocre AHL guy", "unremarkable", "very ordinary", "career AHLer", "warm body"

Surprised by these comments... I think some people are selling him short because of his statline but seriously, it has to be looked with context. Last year for example, he averaged 8:46 TOI/GP on a rebuilding team playing with many players like Tierney, Ennis, etc but he also played quite a lot with Sabourin and JC Beaudin... I mean, how are you supposed to produce with that ice-time and with those linemates?

Chlapik is a good all around player. He will never be very productive at the NHL level because he is an average skater and while he has a good hockey IQ, it isn't well above average (like a Mark Stone or even Bobby Ryan) to make up for his lack of speed and quickness. And while he has a good skillset, it isn't well above average either. But he can play pro 2-way hockey and isn't "soft" so that makes him a good candidate for the bottom-6

If I had to bet, I'd bet that he plays a few years in the NHL and at least 300 NHL Games. The challenge is that it will be hard for him to stay in the Sens line-up as more talented young players graduate. He might have to prove himself on another team once again. Eventually going back to Europe as he could make as much money there but closer to home.
He is also very well liked by his teammates, he is a character and fits the right age, definition of glue guy. I think he carves out a role as the 4th line center this year, he isnt afraid to play physical or compete. He also can score when given the chance, I believe he gets in when Anisimov gets hurt and will make it hard for the coachs to take him out of the lineup because he will play a bottom 6 role very well.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He is also very well liked by his teammates, he is a character and fits the right age, definition of glue guy. I think he carves out a role as the 4th line center this year, he isnt afraid to play physical or compete. He also can score when given the chance, I believe he gets in when Anisimov gets hurt and will make it hard for the coachs to take him out of the lineup because he will play a bottom 6 role very well.

Yeah and that's his best strategy to embrace the role. He is not a Batherson, doesn't have high end qualities so if he wants to truly establish himself in the NHL, he has to start from the bottom of the line-up.

He showed last year that he was ready to do that

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
It'd be great if he can come up and provide a few years of solid hockey and earn his roster spot the way guys like Connor Brown and Zack Hyman have in the league, with relentless hard work

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dorion saying he wasn't happy playing in NA seems a bit strange to me considering him coming over in junior ; and putting in 3 full years between Belleville and Ottawa and just signing a contract. Just seems odd Dorion would bring that up and offer that as an explanation.

Based on this tweet .. it looks like he saw the writing on the wall or he just became unhappy with his predicament

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009

Dorion saying he wasn't happy playing in NA seems a bit strange to me considering him coming over in junior ; and putting in 3 full years between Belleville and Ottawa and just signing a contract. Just seems odd Dorion would bring that up and offer that as an explanation.

I think COVID might have changed things a bit. I could only imagine how difficult it would be to be living in a different country, going through multiple lockdowns while having my family an ocean away. I could definitely understand how that would affect a person's mental health.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think COVID might have changed things a bit. I could only imagine how difficult it would be to be living in a different country, going through multiple lockdowns while having my family an ocean away. I could definitely understand how that would affect a person's mental health.

That could be a factor.:thumbu:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ya, that can be tough on a person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad