Player Discussion Filip Chlapik (C) re-signed (1-year, 2-way $735k/$70k)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wonder how much.
735k NHL, 70k AHL

Great news - good candidate to hold down a 3-4C slot for a few years.

I like his toolkit quite a bit. Kinda puzzling that he hasnt been able to be more productive but his size, physicality, and skill is an enticing package. He has a lot more snarl than I expected when we drafted him and I think he has developed to the point where he can absolutely fit in a bottom 6 line.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Nothing has convinced me that he's an everyday NHLer. Unremarkable AHL stats, very ordinary when in the NHL, and already 23 years old. I'm happy a deal got done, but I can't see him playing 3C on this team at any point in the future and struggle to even see him at 4C.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I've always liked Chlappy's game. He's well rounded with decent speed, size and skill and he seems like he has good instincts. I'd like to see him get a chance with someone other than plugs. I think he could be a good two-way player at 3C.

Like this signing but man $70K at the AHL level is gonna sting (for him) if he gets cut.

Reactions: JaredCowen4Norris

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
735k NHL, 70k AHL

I like his toolkit quite a bit. Kinda puzzling that he hasnt been able to be more productive but his size, physicality, and skill is an enticing package. He has a lot more snarl than I expected when we drafted him and I think he has developed to the point where he can absolutely fit in a bottom 6 line.

I think he is probably ahead of White as a 3C option but behind him as a top 6 option. Who knows what White looks like or where the Sens will start him.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
$735k, what a ridiculous over payment, i would have preferred $725k. Ok im reaching cause having to compliment Dorion after every signing is just feeling too weird. I think Chlapik is unremarkable too, but he seems functional like Tierney with a chance to develop a useful role still. Hopefully he can find one. He's got lots of 3rd liners to beat out though

Reactions: JD1

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd give him another year in the AHL as a top 2 center and hope he breaks out offensively in his 4th year ala Hoffman and Paul.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I like his toolkit quite a bit. Kinda puzzling that he hasnt been able to be more productive but his size, physicality, and skill is an enticing package.

I think skating is the missing piece to the puzzle. I don't know that he has shown much progression since his rookie season in Belleville. I think he's versatile enough and has enough offense to contribute in a bottom 6 role but he will be in tough given how many others are ahead of him imo.

Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I put him in the same bin as Paul: guys who have found a way to contribute as bottom 6ers for cheap. They both show some jam and some skill, but not enough to be on our top 6.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Good signing, really hope he can reach another level, he is another one of these players that seems to lack something to be just a little bit better. Not quite offensive enough to be a top six player & not quite tough enough to be a bottom six player, but he is an excellent depth player or injury replacement player. If he had a little more offence to his game he would make a decent 3rd line centre.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I put him in the same bin as Paul: guys who have found a way to contribute as bottom 6ers for cheap. They both show some jam and some skill, but not enough to be on our top 6.

Yes and these solid bottom-6 forwards are needed too. We don't need to develop 10 top-6 forwards as there is just 6 spots anyway. I don't know why we would "hold out hope" that this or this prospect suddenly develop into a top-6 forward. I'd rather see Chlapik develop into a solid bottom-6 forward and let the best of the rest battle it out.

In the top-6 going forward there is :

Tkachuk long term
Stuetzle long term
Norris long term
Batherson long term
Dadonov 3 years

Colin White, Logan Brown, Formenton, Jarventie, Greig, Balcers, Abramov, Pinto, Sokolov will all want to be offensive contributors. Competition is going to be heavy as it is, I don't see Chlapik beating all these guys. He's ready to be a bot-6 contributor

Reactions: NB613

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No issue with it - another good Senator for what he brings.

I remember having some dark horse feelings about him coming out of junior. If I recall he never really took training seriously and it seemed with his skill if he could get the proper motivation he could have a really high trajectory.

He is solid in his role and seems to have more edge to his game the last couple of years so could be bottom 6 material for sure.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
I don't see it with this guy. I think he's a mediocre AHL guy but on a one year deal, I can't complain.

Let him show what he can do in camp try and make the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Should be an everyday NHLer for the Sens this year in a bottom 6 role
Imagine it took this this long into this thread. Guy plays with plugs up and down AHL to NHL with 0 continuity. Plays with an edge and scores when he actually has the chance. Yet gets ragged on. No pp time, no top 6 time. Solid player, think he needs more of a chance.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Imagine it took this this long into this thread. Guy plays with plugs up and down AHL to NHL with 0 continuity. Plays with an edge and scores when he actually has the chance. Yet gets ragged on. No pp time, no top 6 time. Solid player, think he needs more of a chance.

I'm not sure why you're surprised by how long that took

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad