Post-Game Talk: Fights, Speed, Grits, Cats & Dogs.. This Is The NHL Classico Ladies And Gentlemen! (Habs 3-2 Bruins)

POTG (14/01/2019)?

• Total voters

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Very true but then there are those that see Price as our Crosby as well and they (probably justifiably so) expect to see him at such a high level because of his talent level and salary and I think that they also are partly correct. It gets cloudy for all of as fans when we forget that hockey is a team game an when the team is not performing well as a group that we tend to single out individuals for their excellence or lack thereof and then we make assesments on the team as a whole based on one or two guys. We currently sit here with the worst pp in the league and Max Domi sits 55th in league scoring and we sit even in goal differential(the only eastern playoff team not in positive territory). The only thing we have is the "once you make it anything can happen" mentality because on paper, it's actually all we have.(sorry to be long winded and go all over the place here)

The thing is, people were starting to dump on Price during the 16/17 season the moment he came back down to earth and that predates the contract so I don’t buy it when it comes to the money. I think that’s just an excuse. I do agree to an extent with the talent part but I think we’re the only fanbase in the league who gets mad at the idea of one of our players being hyped up. Reading the Leafs fans post, they’re obnoxious as ever, but they’re soaking all the attention their players are getting in and enjoying it. When one of our players gets attention, a particular part of the fanbase wants to use that to vilify them. And this is more of a problem with the goalies that have played here. We chased Theodore, we chased Roy, there were moments the fans were attacking Dryden, now it’s Price.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... People were starting to dump on Price at the beginning of 07-08 season.

Reactions: McTusk

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
... People were starting to dump on Price at the beginning of 07-08 season.

Yep. No matter what a goalie does in Montreal, they are usually very polarizing to the fans.

I don’t know if it’s since the Roy trade, because that’s all my lifetime knows, but it feels like that with every Habs starter since.

Was there Dryden haters in the 70’s? Is this something that has developed since the Habs stopped being a dynasty?

Am I way off base here? Edit: didn’t see the 2nd post above, guess I’m not?

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The thing is, people were starting to dump on Price during the 16/17 season the moment he came back down to earth and that predates the contract so I don’t buy it when it comes to the money. I think that’s just an excuse. I do agree to an extent with the talent part but I think we’re the only fanbase in the league who gets mad at the idea of one of our players being hyped up. Reading the Leafs fans post, they’re obnoxious as ever, but they’re soaking all the attention their players are getting in and enjoying it. When one of our players gets attention, a particular part of the fanbase wants to use that to vilify them. And this is more of a problem with the goalies that have played here. We chased Theodore, we chased Roy, there were moments the fans were attacking Dryden, now it’s Price.
Some Habs fans, eat their young, and their goalies. Bizarre.

Reactions: Redux91

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'll have to disagree. The union will always put out what helps their membership and for some players, though increasingly less, the only or main reason they are even in the NHL is because they can drop the gloves.

Look at the drop in fights, especially staged fights. I know a few guys that play or have played in the league, some we even enforcers and they say that it's part of the game and will remain part of it but they don't like it per say.

fights go up, fights go down.

the league wants to go to uber softies, a team will find success grinding that team under the heel of their boots. and other players ( who faught a ton) get jobs with the league and 100% understand their roles and their responsibilities. so what ?

never been less than 9 in 10. EVER. You might imagine that its less than 90% but that doesnt make it so.

what I don't understand is, if the coach send out an energy guy at specific point in the game, and the players square off, consent and go, what's it to you ? don't like it ? turn your head.

Reactions: jaffy27

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Everyone played solidly yesterday but there's one player that I really can't stand anymore : Agostino. When first called up, he was strong on the forecheck and played his heart out. Now? He doesn't really contribute much anymore. But Julien likes him... he's even on the first PP now. I would think a healthy and confident McCarron would be better.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Everyone played solidly yesterday but there's one player that I really can't stand anymore : Agostino. When first called up, he was strong on the forecheck and played his heart out. Now? He doesn't really contribute much anymore. But Julien likes him... he's even on the first PP now. I would think a healthy and confident McCarron would be better.

Between him and Chaput, I don't know who I hate more. Chaput totally blew the game last night, so lucky to come out with a win. Can't believe he coughed it up over the glass under pressure, what a tool. Agostino just throws the puck to odd spots on the ice, for no apparent reason. Also, those eyebrows. Jesus.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I agree with this especially when it comes to the goalies. There is a portion of the fanbase that only sees goaltending and not much else and it is due to the fact that we have had so many great ones throughout our storied history. The difference being that in the past we have had some great teams in front of our goalies. Theodore, Price and others have not had this luxury and it is tough to point fingers at the goalies with so many holes in our rosters. We need to focus on building a strong team in front of our goalies and the last 25 years certainly should have taught us that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Before his small break his rebound control was atrocious and more importantly he was having trouble tracking the puck. Since that break his rebound control is good (not great yet) and what has really improved by leaps and bounds is his puck tracking. In the last 20 games I've seen him lose sight of the puck maybe a total of a handful of times whereas before the break that was happening to him in one game sometimes in one period. I never thought his technique or his reflexes were bad in the first part of the season. He just wasn't seeing the puck. I don't know if it was concentration, fatigue or something else but now I see his head is constantly moving keepin the puck in his line of vision.
His rebound control was never atrocious. It wasn't as good as in years past but he's typically been best in league in that respect.

There's no way on Gods green earth that you can say that Benn isn't exponentially better now than he was. Weber coming back has made a huge difference.

As for Price not seeing the puck... that's what happens when it's chaos in your own end. Things have settled down and now The whole team is better for it.

You can't have Jordie Benn as your first blue liner and think that Price isn't going to be affected. I told you guys his numbers would improve with Weber's return and that's exactly what happened

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Between him and Chaput, I don't know who I hate more. Chaput totally blew the game last night, so lucky to come out with a win. Can't believe he coughed it up over the glass under pressure, what a tool. Agostino just throws the puck to odd spots on the ice, for no apparent reason. Also, those eyebrows. Jesus.
Petry redeemed himself from his f***up the other night. Silver lining there

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
As i said in the past, 1st round exit playoff is still more fun than finishing 9. Of course as the team is right now, i don't give them a lot of chances to go far in the PO but i'm still intrigue especially if we can manage to not face Tampa Bay.
I am of the group that want's a top 5-10 pick and stay the course of building what hopefully would be a deep strong team for years to come but I can't control what the players do on the ice, even if that is mostly Carey Price that drags the team to the playoffs. It is what it is at this point. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I am of the group that want's a top 5-10 pick and stay the course of building what hopefully would be a deep strong team for years to come but I can't control what the players do on the ice, even if that is mostly Carey Price that drags the team to the playoffs. It is what it is at this point. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

From a team performance standpoint, so many things have gone right, from Petry having a second even better career year than last year, KK adapting so quickly and already having an impact, the new coaches turning the defense around, both trade acquisitions exceeding expectations, Weber playing well despite missing more than 12 months of play, Price showing a lot more consistency than last year. It's bound to go sideways at some point. Still, im now at the point where it's becoming impressive. Can't help but still have major reservations though. Especially in the playoffs.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
From a team performance standpoint, so many things have gone right, from Petry having a second even better career year than last year, KK adapting so quickly and already having an impact, the new coaches turning the defense around, both trade acquisitions exceeding expectations, Weber playing well despite missing more than 12 months of play, Price showing a lot more consistency than last year. It's bound to go sideways at some point. Still, im now at the point where it's becoming impressive. Can't help but still have major reservations though. Especially in the playoffs.

It is 2013 shortened season all over again minus the return of Markov. #3 overall pick looking good, team is overachieving. Only real difference so far is Price playing his worst at the start of the season instead of the end. I suppose that can change as Price has been getting better all year but cant speculate on how it will end. It best not end in similar fashion for the team if there is playoffs for them or it will be a wasted season.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If we had a better PP we would be on fire right now, ahead of TO and BOS............go figure. Bizarre.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What you saw from Chaput last night is what you see from Jordie Benn when the coach falls in love with the player and believes that he is more than he is. Chaput should not have been out there at the end of the game trying to contain Bostons best, this is a coaching issue.

Reactions: Runner77

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
What you saw from Chaput last night is what you see from Jordie Benn when the coach falls in love with the player and believes that he is more than he is. Chaput should not have been out there at the end of the game trying to contain Bostons best, this is a coaching issue.

I totally agree. CJ goes full Desharnais on his new pet projects Chaput and Agostino.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Teams will be able to play us more aggressively especially with a weak pp and until they figure out some way to get that turned around it will be tough for us to keep winning games. Price is still Price however and who knows how insane of a run he might go on, God Damnittt!

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I totally agree. CJ goes full Desharnais on his new pet projects Chaput and Agostino.
He holds the line of thinking that a 4th line is supposed to lift the team with it's hard work and fisticuffs like we saw from DLO last night(CJ loved that) and it gets him in trouble when he starts to rely to heavily on them. Expect a large dose of the 4th line tonight, back to back game and DLO being chosen as the player of the game by the team. This could be a ugly penalty filled affair especially with the Ekblad vs Domi angle going as well.

Reactions: Runner77 and Habs

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

A little bit like poker, MB got to play the hand that's been given to him. I bet my house that St-Louis and Los Angeles never expected to have such a rough season. Since a top pick is out of the equation at this point and if Price keep being Price.....Bergevin has to play this right.

He already said they wouldn't be buyers and won't be fooled by the current success

He never said that.....

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
My dislike list starting with the one I dislike the most

1.Agostino
2.Chaput
3.Schlemko
4.Alzner
5.Hudon
6.Peca
7.Niemi
8.Kulak
9.Reilly
10.......that’s where it ends....like all the rest

:)

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
He already said they wouldn't be buyers and won't be fooled by the current success

And you believed him?

fmp78cg6qhdz.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad