OT: FIFA World Cup

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So, a pretty big event is coming up and will last from June 12th - July 13th in Brasil. Website: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/

Who will you cheer for and why? Most of you have your own national teams playing in the tournament so i can imagine most of the responses.

5367ea359387e_vb2014.jpg

Fun fact: The logo looks like :facepalm:

Woo! Diving! :sarcasm:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I`ll go with Germany, because one of my friends is from there. But i`m not a huge soccer guy anymore

Will be watching only like:

soccer_peekaboo.gif

:laugh:

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
Will probably watch some games, but after several horrible referee decisions on world cup qualifications and games I stopped watching altogether in disgust (not that I was ever a soccer freak but I liked watching certain matchups and tournaments).

I really think they need to implement video review for goals and for blatant diving.

Will root for my country (Croatia), even though every time you turn on the TV or radio you hear that almost every idiot and their mother have made some "fan song" (good that I almost not watch TV nor listen to the radio). Good way to get rid of that "man, I did not watch soccer for months wouldn't it be nice to watch a good game" itch...

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Goal line technology is already implemented or going to be implemented in many of the top leagues in the world, and the World Cup will be using goalline technology, so I don't see the issue there. And video reviews for diving will never and shouldn't happen, diving is bad but there are far better ways to deal with it then constant video reviews that slow the game down (referee's actually punishing it, post-match review punishment etc).

Also Germany. But we're not going to go far I don't think. Bad coach, bad system and a bad squad selection.

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
I will be rooting for the US. Have a co-worker from Peru and his team didn't make it. He likes to rib us for calling it "soccer". So now it is my turn... as long as we're not eliminated quickly. D:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Football is a sport I don't really like watching but I enjoy playing it. Probably because the game is much more fast paced when we play it unprofessionally. And also, no diving. I would enjoy the sport better if the field was smaller.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I remember, as a kid, my Mom telling me that Finland wasn't all that great at football and thus didn't qualify for whatever tournament we were watching. So I chose to cheer for the other team in blue and white, which turned out to be Italy. :) Been a fan for 20+ years. VIVA ITALIA! :D

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Football is a sport I don't really like watching but I enjoy playing it. Probably because the game is much more fast paced when we play it unprofessionally. And also, no diving. I would enjoy the sport better if the field was smaller.

This

And yes, i will keep an eye on Italy too

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Played through college and largely gave up on the game because of all the diving. And the corruption. And the match fixing scandals they aren't doing anything about.

I'll watch for the spectacle but I don't really care the way i used to any more :dunno:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I used to follow the national team pretty closely. This year's cup will be the first that I haven't. How has the US team been under Klinsmann?

Yeaoh

Jun 14, 2011
Austria
I'm really excited for it. There is no event like the World Cup of football. Hope either Germany or Italy wins the tournament and that Japan can advance beyond the gropu stage. :yo:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
My last favorite player was Raul, so it`s been a while :laugh:

By the way Germany and US is in the same group.

TesseracT

Go Ducks! Go Huskies!
May 29, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Hope Tim Howard plays like a beast for the US. Really wish Ireland would get their ***** back into the tourney sometime soon. :help:

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I don't think I'll watch a single game, thankfully I freed myself of the sport that is culturally ingrained if you live in Europe.

Will probably watch some games, but after several horrible referee decisions on world cup qualifications and games I stopped watching altogether in disgust (not that I was ever a soccer freak but I liked watching certain matchups and tournaments).

I really think they need to implement video review for goals and for blatant diving.

Will root for my country (Croatia), even though every time you turn on the TV or radio you hear that almost every idiot and their mother have made some "fan song" (good that I almost not watch TV nor listen to the radio). Good way to get rid of that "man, I did not watch soccer for months wouldn't it be nice to watch a good game" itch...

Awww yiiis. You asked for it!

Listeners be advised, some truly terrible music ahead.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Hoping for France to win, im a Newcastle fan and theres a couple of magpies there, very unlikely though. And i hope that diving and whining Spain doesnt win, dont like Barcelona :scared:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Germany's right with you for terrible World Cup fan songs. Because nothing says great music like repeating the same line over and over again.

Pretty sure she's managed to ruin the actual football chant with her song.

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Germany's right with you for terrible World Cup fan songs. Because nothing says great music like repeating the same line over and over again.

Pretty sure she's managed to ruin the actual football chant with her song.

Really? Nearly crapped myself watching this, hilarious :laugh::laugh:

Yemeth

Feb 3, 2013
Zagreb
@mightyquack

I am almost not watching football any more, but does the "goal line technology" means that non goals will be goals and the other way around? Or Henrys "Hand of God 2" goal that qualified France and disqualified, IIRC, Ireland?

As for diving, unless there are salary percentage fines and/or video reviews where the diving player gets an automatic yellow card I fear that no "you have been a bad boy" post game review or anything will change it as the teams profit from it and the players do not care (the Premier league was an exception).

Any way, I am looking more forward to the NHL draft than the Worldcup finals, so it is kind of moot for me any way.

Oh, and thanks for the video, it reminds me that there are crappy fan songs everywhere. Likes 5,141, dislikes 55,640! Fantastic lyrics, I am so glad that I was born and raised in Germany so I can understand this. Who needs Schiller, Goether if we can enjoy this!

Awww yiiis. You asked for it!

You are a terrible person, you know that? :D

You know the Blackadder quote about Chaplin "As funny as getting an arrow through the neck, and then finding there's a gas bill tied to it.", somehow I get reminded of that when hearing these "songs".

Cheers...

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
You are a terrible person, you know that? :D
:naughty:

You know the Blackadder quote about Chaplin "As funny as getting an arrow through the neck, and then finding there's a gas bill tied to it.", somehow I get reminded of that when hearing these "songs".

Cheers...
Yea, I remember that, truly an awesome line. Blackadder is such a gem.

Germany has a strong contender though... The song I mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad