GDT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If more games were like this one then far more people here in North America would buy in to what the rest of us already know.
It's too bad the USMNT missed out on the World Cup because it kinda set back soccer in the States a little bit, at least media wise. But as long MLS keeps expanding and keeps increasing the quality of the league, soccer will be in good shape over here for the future. Just need to sort out the national team now.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
It's too bad the USMNT missed out on the World Cup because it kinda set back soccer in the States a little bit, at least media wise. But as long MLS keeps expanding and keeps increasing the quality of the league, soccer will be in good shape over here for the future. Just need to sort out the national team now.

It sounds dumb, but missing the World Cup may be the best thing for the future of the program going forward as it's given certain people a true wake up call. Just look at the team since, it's given us the chance to play top youngsters against quality opponents where if he had qualified, maybe 1 or 2 would be getting games. Guys like McKinnie, Adams, Weah, Sargent, Steffen, Carter-Vickers, Robinson etc. showed very well in their opportunities and look to be the core of the team (along with Pulisic) going forward, hopefully with Berhalter at the helm.

And tbh, I'm not as broken up as not qualifying as I thought I would be back in November when the WC finally came around.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If more games were like this one then far more people here in North America would buy in to what the rest of us already know.

What do the rest of you already know? :P ...I played soccer for 14 years outdoor & indoor and much prefer Hockey or Football (american) as a spectator sport.

Although I do enjoy the World Cup every 4 years...but feel like that's about all the soccer I enjoy watching.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What do the rest of you already know? :P ...I played soccer for 14 years outdoor & indoor and much prefer Hockey or Football (american) as a spectator sport.

Although I do enjoy the World Cup every 4 years...but feel like that's about all the soccer I enjoy watching.
Hockey, absolutely, but even being a WVU diehard, can't agree on football. Especially at the top levels, it just tends to bore me compared to soccer. Very little variation in systems, too many stoppages, etc. For the criticism that soccer gets for action and scoring, football is far worse when it comes to action IMHO.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Hockey, absolutely, but even being a WVU diehard, can't agree on football. Especially at the top levels, it just tends to bore me compared to soccer. Very little variation in systems, too many stoppages, etc. For the criticism that soccer gets for action and scoring, football is far worse when it comes to action IMHO.

My enjoyment of football is probably tied to enjoying Fantasy Football so much.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Straya came up short vs. France as expected but at least they weren't thrashed like I thought they might be.

Iceland with about as good of a result vs. Argentina as possible considering after Argentina's first goal I thought they might be in trouble.

Hopefully Costa Rica can pick up the W tomorrow because their next game is Brazil.

Also wouldn't mind Mexico upsetting Germany but I won't hold my breath on that one.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It sounds dumb, but missing the World Cup may be the best thing for the future of the program going forward as it's given certain people a true wake up call. Just look at the team since, it's given us the chance to play top youngsters against quality opponents where if he had qualified, maybe 1 or 2 would be getting games. Guys like McKinnie, Adams, Weah, Sargent, Steffen, Carter-Vickers, Robinson etc. showed very well in their opportunities and look to be the core of the team (along with Pulisic) going forward, hopefully with Berhalter at the helm.

And tbh, I'm not as broken up as not qualifying as I thought I would be back in November when the WC finally came around.

I actually don't disagree. They were not going far anyways had they qualified. Not making it should be the thing that puts a fire in their belly for 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad