GDT: FIFA World Cup 2018

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Only three days left until the World Cup starts in Russia.

I know the US didn't make it, but still think we should have a thread for this.

Sweden is in a tough group with Germany, Mexico and South Korea, and I think they will finish third (after Germany and Mexico). Tho, we did come second in our group in the qualifier (behind France, before Netherlands) and won over Italy over two games, so who knows? I'm just glad they are back in the World Cup, for the first time since 2006.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Only three days left until the World Cup starts in Russia.

I know the US didn't make it, but still think we should have a thread for this.

Sweden is in a tough group with Germany, Mexico and South Korea, and I think they will finish third (after Germany and Mexico). Tho, we did come second in our group in the qualifier (behind France, before Netherlands) and won over Italy over two games, so who knows? I'm just glad they are back in the World Cup, for the first time since 2006.

mod, please close and lock this troll thread

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Eight... or maybe twelve year back local stole sold the bootleg-y support caps (country name and colors) after the tournament for the cheap price of one euro a piece.

I bought England. Wife wasn't happy. When she afterwards learned that they actually had a wide assortment to choose from and that I did actively pick England, she wasn't far away from throwing me out.

I btw bought Argentina and Spain afterwards too for laughs. It was after the one that Spain won, now to think of it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
the answer is scrappy underdogs

tumblr_inline_ox2e6pcmqK1smt1iz_540.gif
giphy.gif

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I think it would be pretty amazing if Mexico could go far in the tournament. I know it would mean a lot to the country. I will root for them!

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Does this mean all three countries get berths as the home country?

No guarantee yet, but given this will probably be the first 48 team World Cup I think it's likely all 3 get bids and there are only 3 open CONCACAF bids.

CONCACAF will get 6 in the 48 team World Cup format, so this better be the last time the US misses out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Saudi Arabia was horrible.
I know they're expanding the World Cup to 48 soon so it's moot, but honestly they REALLY need to tweak some of the bids.
There's no reason that AFC should be at 4.5 and even CAF should be one less then they are, though they're far easily to justify having 5 bids at least. UEFA, CONMEBOL, hell even CONCACAF have a stronger claim to deserving an extra bid over either.
Can't wait til 2022 when we see a country ranked that should likely be ranked worse then 100th in the world host while we have teams in the top 20 miss like usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad