FIFA is experimenting too much

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Out of those the throw-in thing isn’t that terrible (they do it in futsal) but the rest is a joke, though the reduction of the time of games isn’t new because the ball is in action usually for about 60 minutes, even less in games where one team is defending for their lives and trying to kill the game off

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I like increasing the number of subs to 5 on a permanent basis and adding more breaks...be that by switching to three 30-minute periods or by adding water breaks 20-25 minutes into each half.

But a lot of that is excessive...though stopping the clock could be a good change.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
In fact I mentioned futsal in my above post that’s essentially what they are trying to do with these rules as they do everything above except the yellow card rule

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
This thing with 60 minute play time with clock stoppages is something that's been discussed for 30+ years. The reason it never quite goes away even though it's stupid as hell is obvious - ad breaks.

Reactions: luiginb

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't get the negativity other than perhaps regarding the feared commercial breaks. It's good to experiment and see how this kind of changes would affect the game. But making it sideline kicks instead of throw-ins doesn't sound like it'd be likely to change the game to better, wingers might quite possibly start looking for opportunities to play the ball out in order to get a more dangerous crossing opportunity.

Reactions: luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't get the negativity other than perhaps regarding the feared commercial breaks. It's good to experiment and see how this kind of changes would affect the game. But making it sideline kicks instead of throw-ins doesn't sound like it'd be likely to change the game to better, wingers might quite possibly start looking for opportunities to play the ball out in order to get a more dangerous crossing opportunity.

You might want to check what unlimited substitutions did to the game of American Football. It's arguably the single biggest thing that transformed it from a rugby football-like sport to what it is today.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also soccer has its own problems with concussions, whatever the methods the end result should be that injured players do not have to play.

Reactions: Jussi

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Wow that's very progressive, I agree completely with the first two points and thought of it myself too but thought it'd be too radical. I dunno if 60 minutes is the correct length but I've seen stats showing the average game is usually only 50-65 minutes in actual playing time so that makes sense.

In terms of unlimited substitutions, I agree with it if it's done like hockey where you just go on and off on the go but I disagree if it involves us having a whistle then having a guy be called off with another guy coming on while the 4th ref holds the board because that's too slow. They need to be quick on the fly changes with a 4th ref keeping check to make sure no team has more than 11 players at a time.

For the cards, I'm not sure if that's the right move but I do feel we need to overhaul the current system which allows for a lack of grey area and punishes different things equally harshly along with that garbage 2 yellows in separate games = a suspension in the World Cup and the Euro's.

Don’t like this. Too far away from the integrity of the game.

Adapt or die old man. Jk but this game is way too stuck in the past in some ways when athletes and the technology on the sport itself have evolved. Makes no sense to keep using rules from before the TV era.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Throw ins with your feet actually makes sense. I know Wenger is one big name who support it (or rather supports experimenting with it)

The clock stoppage is clearly an ad break thing disguised as something that isn’t supposed to change the actual amount of game played and limit time wasting.

Unlimited substitutions is really stupid.

5 minute ban for a yellow seems too far, but something around a temporary man shortage for tactical fouls may be interesting.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Wow that's very progressive, I agree completely with the first two points and thought of it myself too but thought it'd be too radical. I dunno if 60 minutes is the correct length but I've seen stats showing the average game is usually only 50-65 minutes in actual playing time so that makes sense.

In terms of unlimited substitutions, I agree with it if it's done like hockey where you just go on and off on the go but I disagree if it involves us having a whistle then having a guy be called off with another guy coming on while the 4th ref holds the board because that's too slow. They need to be quick on the fly changes with a 4th ref keeping check to make sure no team has more than 11 players at a time.

For the cards, I'm not sure if that's the right move but I do feel we need to overhaul the current system which allows for a lack of grey area and punishes different things equally harshly along with that garbage 2 yellows in separate games = a suspension in the World Cup and the Euro's.

Adapt or die old man. Jk but this game is way too stuck in the past in some ways when athletes and the technology on the sport itself have evolved. Makes no sense to keep using rules from before the TV era.

I'd like to encourage you to find a different sport to watch.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
People like you would be telling us all to f*** off if the forward pass was introduced today instead of in the early 20th century.

That perhaps just proves my point - the 'forward pass' as you call it in assocation football was allowed in 1866 (in the form of an amended offside rule) and was one of the first amendments to the very first laws of the game. You might think of the forward pass introduction into American Football in 1906.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad