FIFA is experimenting too much

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don´t know what they are thinking with the throw ins, but if every attacking throw in becomes a corner/set-piece that would be horrible.

I´m open to changes. I think the back pass change has been a change for the better. The four step (or however many it was) regulation for goalkeepers didn't make much sense and that the new "6s" rule (which is never 6s) is better. I think being able to pass the ball to someone inside the box from the 6 yard goalkick is good.

Those have been tweaks though. I guess these changes will change the game in a deeper way.

1. 30 min effective playing time

I´m not complete against this one, but I´m not sure if I see the need. I would argue the extreme time wasting was worse some years ago.

Some problems would be that the "weaker" team will be punished I think. Some times proper game management would be to slow down the game by kicking it out of play. Not wasting time by being slow when you are the one restarting play, but forcing the opponent to do so. It could also work the other way around. Since there is no benefit to the clock you might see teams being slow to restart just to catch a breath. So the team pushing the game might also be slow restarting.

Using them for commercial breaks would of course be horrible.

2. Unlimited substitutions

Horrible. Clearly made to benefit the best teams. Even this 5 subs thing is just a silly way to patch over that there are too many games. Part of football is to make the right substitutions at the right time. That isn't removed by moving to 5 or unlimited, but it makes decisions a lot easier for managers.

3. 5-mins

This is interesting. Maybe Guardiola will have to retire when his teams can't kill every CA against with taking a yellow card? I would argue there are some obvious situation where it doesn't feel right that you haven't got something between a yellow and a red. Chiellini on Saka being a typical example I would argue. Where having an option between a yellow and red would make sense.

My two worries would be that the refs would be left with too much complexity. VAR, "orange" cards etc. And that games would change character. In hockey penalties are used to break things up, but I don´t think that is necessary for football.

As for every yellow card giving a 5-min penalty I think it would just mean there will be far less yellow cards. Not sure if that is a good thing?

Biggest problem here seems to be that few will trust FIFA to make good decisions. It is unlikely that the current rules are the absolutely best we could have for football. At the same time most changes you could think of would make the game worse rather than better.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yellow cards out for 5 mins is stupidity. Mix that with unlimited subs and you have yourself a circus. Each and everyone of these rules is a travesty

Reactions: luiginb

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yellow cards out for 5 mins is stupidity. Mix that with unlimited subs and you have yourself a circus. Each and everyone of these rules is a travesty

Unlimited subs is too far, but I like that they are continuing to experiment with more subs. I thought 5 subs was a fantastic change & if that became the norm moving forward, I would be all for it.

Stopping the clock could be interesting too...at least if it's used to combat time-wasting as well, and not just a means to jam ad breaks in.

I'm curious to see how the yellow card thing works, not sure I think it's a good idea, but it's interesting.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I agree with Havre that yellow and 5 minutes isn't what they should target, but instead a redish yellow (orange?) for big fouls not worth reds, and then put it for 15 minutes at least. Maybe more.
Sometimes you get very weak yellows and going out would be unfair.

Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Unlimited subs is too far, but I like that they are continuing to experiment with more subs. I thought 5 subs was a fantastic change & if that became the norm moving forward, I would be all for it.

Stopping the clock could be interesting too...at least if it's used to combat time-wasting as well, and not just a means to jam ad breaks in.

I'm curious to see how the yellow card thing works, not sure I think it's a good idea, but it's interesting.
It all sounds like afternoon pick up… and thankfully won’t happen. If it does it might be like 20 years down the road. Where id probably not care enough anyway

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It all sounds like afternoon pick up… and thankfully won’t happen. If it does it might be like 20 years down the road. Where id probably not care enough anyway

They're just trying stuff out at a 3rd tier youth tourney to see how it works, that's not a bad thing even if everything that they are testing is stupid...cause at least then they'll know it was stupid, ya know? :dunno:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree with Havre that yellow and 5 minutes isn't what they should target, but instead a redish yellow (orange?) for big fouls not worth reds, and then put it for 15 minutes at least. Maybe more.
Sometimes you get very weak yellows and going out would be unfair.

Yeah, something between a yellow & a red would make sense given how varied yellows can be.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They're just trying stuff out at a 3rd tier youth tourney to see how it works, that's not a bad thing even if everything that they are testing is stupid...cause at least then they'll know it was stupid, ya know? :dunno:
Sure they can try it out in a competition no one cares about but it shouldn’t ever implemented in the professional league

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sure they can try it out in a competition no one cares about but it shouldn’t ever implemented in the professional league

Assuming it all plays out as expected, sure. But what if stopping the clock does actually eliminate time-wasting? Or the yellow-card-PP gets players to dramatically cut back on card-able offenses? Unlimited subs is too much, but if this helps convince more associations that 5 subs is a good idea, I'd appreciate that.

Doesn't hurt to see what happens and if the results are surprisingly positive, to test it further :dunno:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Assuming it all plays out as expected, sure. But what if stopping the clock does actually eliminate time-wasting? Or the yellow-card-PP gets players to dramatically cut back on card-able offenses? Unlimited subs is too much, but if this helps convince more associations that 5 subs is a good idea, I'd appreciate that.

Doesn't hurt to see what happens and if the results are surprisingly positive, to test it further :dunno:
Meh they’re over stated issues. I think the game is perfect or near it

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I wouldn't mind permanent 5 subs plus clear injury subs. The top level players are asked already to play a ridiculous amount of games. That would reduce injuries.

I'm kinda split on the 5 minute penalty. On one hand, target tactical fouling with it. On the other, will one team just waste time for that time?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing with subs is, hasn't experience shown that it's the peripheral , marginal players who get subbed rather than the workhorse star players? In other words, won't 5 subs just mean more rotation among the say players 7 through 17 on the squad rather than easing the burden for players 1 through 6 (who are also most likely to have a major burden on their national teams naturally).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad