Recalled/Assigned: Fiala Called Up for the Playoffs

saskachewonian

Sep 24, 2014
Saskatchewan
Very excited to see what he can do at the NHL level, realistically I dont expect much but who knows he has been an offensive threat at every other level.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
56 in your program, #1 in your hearts...

zhcI5d.png
MLRqQr.png

Last edited:

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
Nystrom, Santorelli, Bourque, Beck, Stalberg... beware... Youth WILL be served :)

Cullen could go in that group by way of retirement, but he's been playing his a55 off recently, so I am in no hurry to George Jettison him!

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I wake up this morning and learn that Fiala played in the big team !!

How was it ? You guys have often the best and soundest opinion on plays.
your view ?
tks

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

your view ?
tks

Blew a tire or two during the game trying to do too much on his skates and ended up on his butt. No big deal really, first game, a little excited, he forgot how to skate.

Big time wrist shot. Gets it off quick, with a lot of velocity and on net.

He sees the ice better than anyone out there and is able to put pucks in a position for other guys to shoot and score. He made one pass to Smith that looked like a mistake but wasn't, perfectly feathered pass. Also got one across to Fisher on a 3 on 1 with him and Smith and the puck was rolling a little bit on Fisher and he wasn't able to finish. He is quick in tight spaces and I think being in Milwaukee helped him make the adjustment from the bigger European ice.

Wasn't physical at all but I think he didn't want to get caught out of position. From what I remember of him from camp he did have a little bit of an edge to his game, just didn't see it last night, which is fine as I'm sure it will come along in time. Didn't see that edge from Forsberg either but he's been using his body a lot more lately.

Good first impression.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site

your view ?
tks

Really impressive for an 18 year old, especially one that just came over to North America. He made plays all night and has the ability to make dynamic plays which we lack in almost all our prospects. Should have had an assist on a sweet 3v1 but Fisher couldn't put the puck home.

Also, if he wasn't facing the best goalie in the league, he would have had his first NHL goal tonight with some good awareness:

https://twitter.com/goverjkg/status/580599708873281536

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Cool to read that. tks

He has this feature of making "weird" passes that surprise everyone, including the recipient, ... for this you need an amazing environmental awareness which i think he posses. He's a smart kid.

Regretfully i didn't watch the game, but if he added value, i hope he'll stay for a couple more games.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Blew a tire or two during the game trying to do too much on his skates and ended up on his butt. No big deal really, first game, a little excited, he forgot how to skate.

He sees the ice better than anyone out there and is able to put pucks in a position for other guys to shoot and score. He made one pass to Smith that looked like a mistake but wasn't, perfectly feathered pass. Also got one across to Fisher on a 3 on 1 with him and Smith and the puck was rolling a little bit on Fisher and he wasn't able to finish. He is quick in tight spaces and I think being in Milwaukee helped him make the adjustment from the bigger European ice.

Wasn't physical at all but I think he didn't want to get caught out of position. From what I remember of him from camp he did have a little bit of an edge to his game, just didn't see it last night, which is fine as I'm sure it will come along in time. Didn't see that edge from Forsberg either but he's been using his body a lot more lately.

Good first impression.

Great analysis. The thing that I loved is whenever he got the puck in space (and he can create his own space!!) I felt like he was going to do something with it. Only other guy I feel that way with is Forsberg, so having those two and at such a young age, is an amazing gift for the Preds to have. The future is in good hands.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
I don't know what "it" is, but the kid has "it". There have only been 3 Preds that I have felt this about: Radulov:rant:, Forsberg, and now Fiala. Every time they are on the ice, you are just waiting for something to happen.

When Cullen returns, I'd like to see Arvidsson sent back to give Fiala another shot.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010

Good first impression.

Appreciate the recap Glen. Would have caught the replay on GCL but been super busy of late.

van22

May 25, 2014
Watching the post-game interview and seeing were the bandage was - he really was incredibly lucky to only get 5 stitches after his skate to the neck incident.

Gifs of the plays mentioned above - re-tweeted by Preds new beat writer Adam Vingan:

saskachewonian

Sep 24, 2014
Saskatchewan
I was impressed with his willingness to stand in front of the net, he is not afraid to take punishment, i was expecting him to be a bit more physically cautious at this level, at least in his first game.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I was high on this kid and hoped we'd draft him last year and I'm glad I'm not eating crow right now. Glen summed up his play last night best, and I can see him getting 9 games while we recover from minor injuries through the end of the season. I have to admit I'd be very surprised if we don't see him in the top 6 next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad