FHM 9

Tallasar

Apr 11, 2018
Auckland
I have bought the game to play as a local multiplayer game with my son on the same computer like EHM that we both can play as GM's the own teams. It works in FHM6 as online league otherwise it is a single player game. What I not understand is why only the one player with the commissioner mode can do trade offers and no other human player? That looks totally senseless because you will have quite often a mix of human or CPU players and not a full human league. Do I see it wrong or is FHM better only a single player game and I have wasted the money for our situation. Luckily it was the 50% offer so not a lot of money but motivation is down for FHM and we are actual sitting over a EHM session together. Sad FHM looked really interesting.

Reactions: DaBossN

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I have bought the game to play as a local multiplayer game with my son on the same computer like EHM that we both can play as GM's the own teams. It works in FHM6 as online league otherwise it is a single player game. What I not understand is why only the one player with the commissioner mode can do trade offers and no other human player? That looks totally senseless because you will have quite often a mix of human or CPU players and not a full human league. Do I see it wrong or is FHM better only a single player game and I have wasted the money for our situation. Luckily it was the 50% offer so not a lot of money but motivation is down for FHM and we are actual sitting over a EHM session together. Sad FHM looked really interesting.

The commissioner's control of trading in multiplayer leagues is that way because it lets those leagues keep things relatively fair in that environment, rather than turning the league into a race to grab as many players as possible from the AI (and also to prevent trading for the same players at the same time.) At some point we may add some sort of optional human-AI trade resolution for multiplayer, but that gets complicated by FHM's ability to choose the interval at which the league data is updated, and will probably require some significant redesign of multiplayer aspects.

Tallasar

Apr 11, 2018
Auckland
The commissioner's control of trading in multiplayer leagues is that way because it lets those leagues keep things relatively fair in that environment, rather than turning the league into a race to grab as many players as possible from the AI (and also to prevent trading for the same players at the same time.) At some point we may add some sort of optional human-AI trade resolution for multiplayer, but that gets complicated by FHM's ability to choose the interval at which the league data is updated, and will probably require some significant redesign of multiplayer aspects.
Thanks for the quick answer, I really appreciate the explanation but it means the main purpose for FHM is a single player game. I think FHM has a lot to do about multiplayer leagues and Trade Offers are key for interaction. I hope you guys will find a way to get it workable because there are a lot of things better than EHM but for now for me it is missing the main key as I read multiplayer possibility and bought the game to play with my son. Again I will give it a try to play solo but for us it failed to move over from the EHM world. All the best for the further development of the game and we will have an eye what changes will come up.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Why do teams mismanage goalies so poorly in this game?

A 27 year old Yaroslav Askarov is the 6th best goalie in the world in 2029/2030...

He played 39 games for the Devils as a 23 year old where he went 22-14-1, had 2 shutouts, had a 3.11 GAA and .905 SV%.

Aside from that he is playing in the AHL. Where he has played 223 games, is 118-71-26, has a career 2.43 and .912. 21 shutouts.

He is a 4 star goalie... and as stated above, the 6th best rated goalie currently in the game.

New jersey has spent 17.21 million on goalies.

There starter this season is MacKenzie Blackwood. 33 year old 3 star goalie. 1 year left on his contract of 8.22 million.

Backup Joseph Woll. 31 year old 3.5 star goalie. 3 years left at 7.58

AHL Starter Yaroslav Askarov is a 4 star goalie. He has 4 years left at 1.41 million.

We will see if next year he becomes a regular with the NHL team, or if they sign another goalie.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Why do teams mismanage goalies so poorly in this game?

A 27 year old Yaroslav Askarov is the 6th best goalie in the world in 2029/2030...

He played 39 games for the Devils as a 23 year old where he went 22-14-1, had 2 shutouts, had a 3.11 GAA and .905 SV%.

Aside from that he is playing in the AHL. Where he has played 223 games, is 118-71-26, has a career 2.43 and .912. 21 shutouts.

He is a 4 star goalie... and as stated above, the 6th best rated goalie currently in the game.

New jersey has spent 17.21 million on goalies.

There starter this season is MacKenzie Blackwood. 33 year old 3 star goalie. 1 year left on his contract of 8.22 million.

Backup Joseph Woll. 31 year old 3.5 star goalie. 3 years left at 7.58

AHL Starter Yaroslav Askarov is a 4 star goalie. He has 4 years left at 1.41 million.

We will see if next year he becomes a regular with the NHL team, or if they sign another goalie.

Without seeing the exact save, it's not necessarily a mismanagement of goalies. If they've only spent 17.21 on goalies, part of the reason may be a a need to so they are cap compliant. You also point out 1 has only 1 year left so it would be unlikely they re-sign him, but every team should have at least 3 or 4 quality goalies signed. Also, are they actually 4 stars, or potential of 4 stars? There's a difference as well (and have you scouted them to be A's?).

Regardless, it's more than likely they would be trying and will move one of them throughout the season if teams are looking at it makes sense cap wise.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
@KnightAttack

Is there a way to make suggestions to a head coach in challenge mode?

I can no longer edit the "lineups" page since hiring him and I believe he is playing objectively worse players more minutes and on higher lines.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
@KnightAttack

Is there a way to make suggestions to a head coach in challenge mode?

I can no longer edit the "lineups" page since hiring him and I believe he is playing objectively worse players more minutes and on higher lines.

No. When you choose to play as GM only, you're giving up that ability because that's the coaches job. If there's something you don't particularly want to do, it's better to play as GM/HC and set the Assistant to do what you do not want to.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
No. When you choose to play as GM only, you're giving up that ability because that's the coaches job. If there's something you don't particularly want to do, it's better to play as GM/HC and set the Assistant to do what you do not want to.

Ok then may I ask why a coach would play a 3 star center on the second line and a 3.5 star center on the third line?

Are there certain ratings weighted higher than others which determines how a coach deploys players?

If not then doing simple addition and division of all ratings the 3 star player rates at 13.9 overall out of 20 and the 3.5 star player rates 14.4.

The 3 star center played 17:19 per game, and the 3.5 star center played 12:22.

Also sorry to keep bugging you

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Ok then may I ask why a coach would play a 3 star center on the second line and a 3.5 star center on the third line?

Are there certain ratings weighted higher than others which determines how a coach deploys players?

If not then doing simple addition and division of all ratings the 3 star player rates at 13.9 overall out of 20 and the 3.5 star player rates 14.4.

The 3 star center played 17:19 per game, and the 3.5 star center played 12:22.

Also sorry to keep bugging you

It's likely a combination of things, but tactics probably lay the number one thing. Although a player is 3 stars, that player could be almost 3.5 and the 3.5 could barely be there as well. Differences in each stat can make a difference as well, and there are some hidden ratings for players. But some of it too can be chemistry with the players on the line, but more often than not its tactics. For instance (and using say an extremely example maybe but) you have Adam Lowry playing on your 3rd line center. Is it a good role for him? Absolutely. You get Bryan Little back to health, he's only at 2.5 stars to Lowry's 3 or 3.5. Who would you rather have playing 2nd or 3rd line? Every single time, I'm thinking Little, as would most coaches.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
It's likely a combination of things, but tactics probably lay the number one thing. Although a player is 3 stars, that player could be almost 3.5 and the 3.5 could barely be there as well. Differences in each stat can make a difference as well, and there are some hidden ratings for players. But some of it too can be chemistry with the players on the line, but more often than not its tactics. For instance (and using say an extremely example maybe but) you have Adam Lowry playing on your 3rd line center. Is it a good role for him? Absolutely. You get Bryan Little back to health, he's only at 2.5 stars to Lowry's 3 or 3.5. Who would you rather have playing 2nd or 3rd line? Every single time, I'm thinking Little, as would most coaches.

Ok that's fair, and I figured as much about the hidden attributes.

Also to be fair on my team the number 2 center is Colin White who had just put up back to back 50+ point seasons.

The 3rd center is Matt Savoie who hasn't hit 40 yet in 2 years despite looking like the second best offensive forward I have.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I just want to say this game is the best hockey sim I've played so far when it comes to realistic stats being generated. Much better than any FHM before it and EHM as well. I'm 7 years into challenge mode and really enjoying it. Two cups so far.

I believe the game is on sale now, so if you weren't sure I'd really say it's worth giving it a try if you're wondering about upgrading from a previous FHM or you're an EHM person and maybe want to try something different.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
Two questions:
1. How realistic?
2. What is a challenge mode?

Obviously GreenSnowStorm can answer this, but I'm going to chime in;

1. As realistic as it gets. We are built for the ground up for hockey, so you're going to see point totals that reflect that.
2. Challenge Mode is a mode you can play that is meant to be a - Challenge. It comes in a variety of forms. More or less, think of it as the "Achievement" Mode. You can't access Commissioner Mode (to bend or change the rules), and you get ranked as you play. So you'll be ranked when/if you retire. That's the short version anyway.

Also yes, the game is on sale for the All-Star Game (not Lunar), so it will run for a while longer!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I just bought the game and have a question about contract negotiation and players who continue to reject an initial offer... even when i modify it for their demands.

For example, I played the Buffalo 1998-1999 historical challenge and tried to resign Mike Peca for 5 years. He did not want none of that and was sticked to 3 years. Not uncommon for sim games, but after trying 4 years, he decided he wanted to wait for offer sheets.

Later he says he's open to negotiations again, and the same day I receive a message saying my offer for 5 years was too much (but I had yet to reopen negotiations).

I see a "remove offer". Do I need to "remove offer" before submitting a new one? I tried to go back, click "meet demands", it adjust my offer to what he wants. But the following rejection still stated my initial years offer (without removing my offer).

Thanks!

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I just bought the game and have a question about contract negotiation and players who continue to reject an initial offer... even when i modify it for their demands.

For example, I played the Buffalo 1998-1999 historical challenge and tried to resign Mike Peca for 5 years. He did not want none of that and was sticked to 3 years. Not uncommon for sim games, but after trying 4 years, he decided he wanted to wait for offer sheets.

Later he says he's open to negotiations again, and the same day I receive a message saying my offer for 5 years was too much (but I had yet to reopen negotiations).

I see a "remove offer". Do I need to "remove offer" before submitting a new one? I tried to go back, click "meet demands", it adjust my offer to what he wants. But the following rejection still stated my initial years offer (without removing my offer).

Thanks!

Sending you a PM.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I just bought the game last week and I absolutely love it, I'm building some experience at the moment and hope to join a league in the near future when I'm totally comfortable with the game mechanics and all.

Anyway, I started a historical game and chose the '98 Predators, basically putting myself in place of David Poile. And while it hasn't ruined my enjoyment because I'm really just testing and learning right now, there were a couple of unexpected issues that might be addressed in future updates or releases.

1. Although I started on July 1, 1998, I still had 1998 draft picks showing in my assets. I figured it must simply be a weird numbering system and that 1998 draft picks meant the picks for the 98/99 season. So I made some trades and felt like I set up my team for a good build by acquiring some more 98 picks, only to find out at the end of the season that those picks went away and the next draft was indeed the 99 picks.

2. After the season in 99, the Thrashers were added to the league via expansion draft. Then in 00 the Blue Jackets and Wild were added. Each time, my Predators had to participate by protecting and losing players. However in reality during those seasons the Predators were exempt from the expansion draft (and the Thrashers in 00).

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I just bought the game last week and I absolutely love it, I'm building some experience at the moment and hope to join a league in the near future when I'm totally comfortable with the game mechanics and all.

Anyway, I started a historical game and chose the '98 Predators, basically putting myself in place of David Poile. And while it hasn't ruined my enjoyment because I'm really just testing and learning right now, there were a couple of unexpected issues that might be addressed in future updates or releases.

1. Although I started on July 1, 1998, I still had 1998 draft picks showing in my assets. I figured it must simply be a weird numbering system and that 1998 draft picks meant the picks for the 98/99 season. So I made some trades and felt like I set up my team for a good build by acquiring some more 98 picks, only to find out at the end of the season that those picks went away and the next draft was indeed the 99 picks.

2. After the season in 99, the Thrashers were added to the league via expansion draft. Then in 00 the Blue Jackets and Wild were added. Each time, my Predators had to participate by protecting and losing players. However in reality during those seasons the Predators were exempt from the expansion draft (and the Thrashers in 00).

1. We can't seem to replicate that. If you have the save, we'd really like to see it.

2. It's not something we'd done before, and we'll look to see if we can do something. In the mean time if you really want to make sure it doesn't happen, I would recommend turning league evolution off and controlling it yourself. That way you can set the expansion drafts up as you want.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
1. We can't seem to replicate that. If you have the save, we'd really like to see it.

2. It's not something we'd done before, and we'll look to see if we can do something. In the mean time if you really want to make sure it doesn't happen, I would recommend turning league evolution off and controlling it yourself. That way you can set the expansion drafts up as you want.

I don't have the save, I started a new game with current rosters and didn't have the problem with draft picks.

As for #2, I can't imagine there are a whole lot Preds and Thrashers fans that play the game, let alone play this historical seasons. But it is an inaccuracy worth pointing out, especially because I believe Vegas is exempt from the Seattle draft (which doesn't make sense compared to the 98-00 class) and the same thing would probably happen in the game in that situation.

ThePuckStopsHere

Aug 9, 2019
Is their any guides or advice on trading? Like, getting picks for players?

I haven’t gotten the hang of it. I have not found anyway to set up wants/needs on trades like you can with the EA series. As the Wings, I will put someone on the trade block and get similar aged players offered, when I would be looking for draft picks.

KnightAttack

Jan 3, 2017
Canada
I don't have the save, I started a new game with current rosters and didn't have the problem with draft picks.

As for #2, I can't imagine there are a whole lot Preds and Thrashers fans that play the game, let alone play this historical seasons. But it is an inaccuracy worth pointing out, especially because I believe Vegas is exempt from the Seattle draft (which doesn't make sense compared to the 98-00 class) and the same thing would probably happen in the game in that situation.

I don't disagree, but it's not necessarily a simple fix. That being said again, with the new expansion tool you can set it up how you like, although you just manually expand when you want, rather than the game automatically doing it for you (and moving/contraction if you please).

I have passed it on though.

I haven’t gotten the hang of it. I have not found anyway to set up wants/needs on trades like you can with the EA series. As the Wings, I will put someone on the trade block and get similar aged players offered, when I would be looking for draft picks.

Trades occur 3 ways:

(1) Shop a Player - Shop a player if you want to get rid of a player immediately or get a feel for what a player can be worth. Other teams take all aspects into consideration, and especially if you're trying to move out big contracts, they're not necessarily going to give you something great back. You can get Pick offers here.

(2) Trade Block - Same as above, although teams will take more time and give different offers. This is best utilized by putting players on in January before the deadline and you can see what comes up. You can get picks or highly ranked prospects.

(3) Manual Trade - Probably your best bet if you want Picks. Teams are willing to move mid to lower round picks with ease, but they do value high draft picks, particularly Rounds 1 and 2. We've seen this starting to happen more in real life too. Teams are realizing in the salary cap era, that first round pick is too valuable to giveaway for only 20+ games of a player. Read what your Scouts feedback is and you're looking for a "They will probably accept this offer." If you want a high pick, a single player isn't likely enough, you'll need to mix in possibly a prospect yourself or a few other picks too. Keep in mind, it's easier getting a late Round 1 pick then getting a, say, top 10 pick as well. Teams also don't really like to give up any lotto picks either.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com

I've been doing right click on player and "shop player" so that you get multiple offers. If you don't get a pick offered, you can at least discuss the trade and modify it to include a pick instead of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad