FHL: Who will be the first to fold

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
Believe it or not Hockey is popular and with the AHL moving teams the next thing you will see is ECHL teams in bad cities moving to AHL cities that lost their team. Then whats left, the FHL to fill in where former echl Hockey towns still want hockey. Hopefully the are smart enough to go junior hockey but surely more cities will give the FHL a chance. Maybe the headline should be changed to where will the FHL expand next. Who knows, but in the end more is better? right????

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
Francis 10. Don't profess to have insight to the entire league but i'll try to provide insight based on what I know from talking to a few players or their families,

The salary structure is limited by league rule. Somewhere in the area of $5000 a week. The top players may be paid $400-$500 but the others are closer to $200. The team provides housing and transportation to away games along with hotels and meals when on the road.

Probably a bit like living in the hockey house while in college. lol

A typical week is Monday off, though some teams will have an optional skate. Practice on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday along with workouts after practice. Games on Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday.

Lastly, even with a contract, players only get paid IF they play in scheduled games over the weekend. So if they don't dress, they don't get a check. If they play in one game but don't dress for the other weekend game they get half of their week salary.

Players are responsible for their own meals when not travelling. Sometimes boosters will cook meals for players and bring them to the house. They also often get freebies from local sponsors, like restaurants.

Hope this helps.

F1

As for getting food paid for on the road. Dayton makes all their players look after their own food and even make them rent vans to get to away games. I heard recently that some local people in Dayton got together to buy some groceries for the guys that weren't getting paid and literally starving.:help: They also had to purchase a new goalie stick for one of the goaltenders as the new management would not pay for it. There has also been broken skate blades and helmets that the players had to look after themselves...which would require them to spend almost a weeks pay to have a new skate blade purchased and installed. Boys.. Wake up and get a life and get a real job. Most teams in this league are very poorly run and extremely poorly coached. One positive of the FHL is, it is the basement.. and you cant get any lower.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
CN,

Not here to dispute your info. but I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that the Dayton situation is an example representative of all the team situations. As has been noted in the past the Dayton franchise ownership was struggling and there's a new ownership establishing it's presence and hopefully for both the players and fans that ship will be righted. My answer to a question was based on getting comments for player associated with several different teams. As for this being the lowest level of pro hockey, you are correct. As for team ownership needing to be better at marketing and funding a pro franchise, you are also correct. Many of not all of these players will someday realize that their future is past and move on. One of the Danbury players has been getting his masters degree online and I would expect he'll use that more than his hockey career.

Last years Danbury player David Lun is now coaching in Brewster and whatever happens there he can possibly use that as an experience to further a career in hockey some how.

So you can see how some of these players can use this experience to improve themselves. What I don't understand is what comes across as vitriol in your posts. These are young men trying to do what all of us do. Enjoy life. If they choose to do it playing in this league, why are you so critical?

F1

PH Hockey Fan

Jan 14, 2015
I like your post- Falconone. I Know the FHL is low hanging fruit of the pro hockey world and is an easy target for ridicule, but some cities are making headway in this league. Here in Port Huron the team is gaining support. The corporate sponsorship is doing much better than the NAHL team we had before them. The people I have talked to that have come to a game for the first time, are really enjoying the hockey they see and are coming back. Is it the best hockey in the world- no, but the cities that have teams in the league, at least have hockey. Can the Berlin's and Brewster's survive with 250 to 400 fans? No. Can the league survive on 700 to 900?, probably not long term. I think the hope is grab two or three cities in the Midwest and Northeast that could give the league more viability. It's hard to say where this league goes, but at least us hockey fans have hockey this year.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
I like your post- Falconone. I Know the FHL is low hanging fruit of the pro hockey world and is an easy target for ridicule, but some cities are making headway in this league. Here in Port Huron the team is gaining support. The corporate sponsorship is doing much better than the NAHL team we had before them. The people I have talked to that have come to a game for the first time, are really enjoying the hockey they see and are coming back. Is it the best hockey in the world- no, but the cities that have teams in the league, at least have hockey. Can the Berlin's and Brewster's survive with 250 to 400 fans? No. Can the league survive on 700 to 900?, probably not long term. I think the hope is grab two or three cities in the Midwest and Northeast that could give the league more viability. It's hard to say where this league goes, but at least us hockey fans have hockey this year.

I am with you PH, its fun to get behind your local team and FHL even with it's issues does give cities hockey that otherwise would not have any. Not that a am a longtime fan or anything but it seems like most games are more competitive this year, not as many 8-1 blowouts and recently it seems the lower 3 teams are getting better and have been beating the top 3.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
PH and GFHL,

The successful franchises in almost any league, any sport, at any level are those that have ownerships with sound business knowledge and expectations as to what is necessary to succeed.

Witness the published reports of last years FHL championship team the Watertown Wolves ownership. They were very clear to prospective partners that they should expect to lose money for several years until the team could establish itself in the community. Even then I've heard it reported that there were some issues with the budget.

From what I can see there's not a lot of sports management experience in these ownership groups and as a result the understanding of what will be necessary to support the franchise both from a standpoint of cost and the business plan infrastructure in order to get the team established on a firm footing isn't very strong. Ergo the struggles we see being talked about here.

That said, your points about the relative interest in hockey in these communities are well taken.

A few years ago I did some research into the various junior hockey leagues and what was required by USA Hockey for them to gain approval from USA Hockey's governing body. While I don't remember the specifics what was clear was that the requirement for a franchise to be approved was substantial for Tier I (read USHL) franchises vs. Tier II ( read NAHL) But if my memory is close and realizing that of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most, I think the requirements for Tier I status required an annual budget of close to 1 million dollars, a dedicated marketing plan including sufficient personnel resources to implement the marketing plan as well as 3000 seat facility. One which provided locker room and training facilities. All equipment needed to be provided for players by the team, along with billets and team insurance and meals while traveling. This was the basics as best I can recall. It was very extensive and required team ownership to substantiate assets sufficient to support those requirements.

Keep in mind that all that did NOT include paying players.

I would be surprised to learn that any league below the AHL or perhaps the ECHL required that much of it's franchise owner prospects. That said, I have NO IDEA what financial requirements are expected of any prospective ownership group for any minor league in any sport. Let alone the FHL.

Most of the teams in this league right now have new ownership (in the case of Danbury and Brewster they are the same ownership) and this makes the 'getting off the ground' as much of a learning curve for these teams as any new team. though I believe spots like Port Huron and Berlin have long histories of supporting hockey and with careful management and some patience on behalf of both owners, local businesses and fans can lead to well ensconced teams and strong market support. Danville should do well as there's been a team there for a while. Dayton is a bit different as the previous team was moved to Port Huron and the initial ownership group this year (former Berkshire Battalion owners) misunderstood the marketplace and local costs of business. New owners may do better but that's to be seen. Berlin, as I said earlier has a history of supporting teams and was passed over for Berkshire last year so local businesses and fans may be a bit shy in throwing in their support after that.

Danbury, while taking the place of a well supported Whalers franchise has new owners and despite having a lot of the same infrastructure of personnel the old whalers team used will still need to rally around this new/old team. There's a few holdovers from last years team but there's also a fair amount of new players that need to find acceptance with fans who may be a bit shy having been burned by the old ownership group.

As for Brewster, they share more than ownership and support personnel with Danbury. They also share fans. they are very close in locations and there's probably a breakdown in fan and local business support. You might find Brewster only fans, Titan only fans but also fans that support both the Titans and Bulldogs. this may well lead to fewer fans for both teams in total.

Good luck with support for the Prowlers !

F1

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
Falconone, I do not believe my posts are vitriolic at all. Maybe harsh. But I suppose more than anything is that life goes by very quickly. These young men are no doubt chasing a dream that has passed them by. My opinion is that these young men need to get on with their lives and try to make a better living for THEM SELVES and possibly even their families. If an owner wants to be in the pro hockey business then at the very least...Be professionals and treat your players like professionals and give them the tools they require to get the job done. If its too expensive of an operating cost to buy a few parts to keep your players on the ice...then some of the owners should get the hell out of the hockey business and go do something else.
It also seems that much of todays generation are not ready to face the true realities of life. Making popcorn money(if you get paid at all) playing here well into your late 20's is not a very intelligent way to move forward. Just my opinion.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Falconone, I do not believe my posts are vitriolic at all. Maybe harsh. But I suppose more than anything is that life goes by very quickly. These young men are no doubt chasing a dream that has passed them by. My opinion is that these young men need to get on with their lives and try to make a better living for THEM SELVES and possibly even their families. If an owner wants to be in the pro hockey business then at the very least...Be professionals and treat your players like professionals and give them the tools they require to get the job done. If its too expensive of an operating cost to buy a few parts to keep your players on the ice...then some of the owners should get the hell out of the hockey business and go do something else.
It also seems that much of todays generation are not ready to face the true realities of life. Making popcorn money(if you get paid at all) playing here well into your late 20's is not a very intelligent way to move forward. Just my opinion.

Do you think that there is any place for independent minor leagues or do you think players need to quit after the first time they wash out of the affiliated leagues (football being a little different obviously as there are no minor leagues and players can work day jobs between attempts to make a roster out of training camp)?

The FHL, in my opinion, has no place as they seem unable to pay the players, but I am okay with other low-paying independent leagues that actually do pay players (in hockey, the only such example being the SPHL). I am asking this because you seem to oppose the idea of independent leagues entirely.

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
Not at all. I cant comment on sphl or other leagues as I have no exposure to them in any capacity.
I am not opposed to independent leagues entirely.
The FHL is the league I only refer to. But if you are a player in that league and are earning a decent salary , (Getting Paid), and also have a back up plan or carrier, then have at it.
I just hate see young men being mislead and or waste valuable years supporting this circus called the FHL. But then again... I suppose its their call.

GFHL

Feb 25, 2015
FLINTown
fhl to ahl

AHL Falcons have signed goaltender Alex Vazzano to a Professional Tryout Contract. Vazzano, 25, has registered a 1-1-2 record with a 3.37 GAA and a .902 SV% in five games with the Elmira Jackals this season of the ECHL. The 6-foot-2, 192-pound native of Trumbull, CT has also spent time this season with the Reading Royals of the ECHL, the Louisiana IceGators of the Southern Professional Hockey League and the Danbury Titans of the Federal Hockey League. Vazzano is a rookie out of Sacred Heart University.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Not the first time FHL to AHL has happened. It's usually a goalie and it's a PTO because the AHL doesn't have a specific EBUG agreement set up.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
AHL Falcons have signed goaltender Alex Vazzano to a Professional Tryout Contract. Vazzano, 25, has registered a 1-1-2 record with a 3.37 GAA and a .902 SV% in five games with the Elmira Jackals this season of the ECHL. The 6-foot-2, 192-pound native of Trumbull, CT has also spent time this season with the Reading Royals of the ECHL, the Louisiana IceGators of the Southern Professional Hockey League and the Danbury Titans of the Federal Hockey League. Vazzano is a rookie out of Sacred Heart University.

Not the first time FHL to AHL has happened. It's usually a goalie and it's a PTO because the AHL doesn't have a specific EBUG agreement set up.

Yeah, this is not a case of a guy playing well, and working his way up, and it doesn't legitimize the FHL as a feeder league for the upper levels. This is just teams getting in a bind for a goalie and needing someone to fill in on short notice.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
A quick look and theory, it might be guys that are gone. But I see one player who is in the SPHL that is suspended but not another on the same SPHL team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Finally saw it. Berlin & Port Huron's rosters took it to the gut.

I don't understand how this is possible. Fines?

yes, and those players are required to, you've seen suspensions for failure to report on a reassignment. In this case, the League took that role. PH's issues directly relate to Wideman's indefinite suspension during the All Star Game, and the hearing was held 2/2.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Finally saw it. Berlin & Port Huron's rosters took it to the gut.

I don't understand how this is possible. Fines?

How are players supposed to pay fines making $210 a week? And maybe not even get paid that. LOL

I read about this on the FHL NEWS facebook page.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
How are players supposed to pay fines making $210 a week? And maybe not even get paid that. LOL

I read about this on the FHL NEWS facebook page.

That's exactly what I was thinking about. These guys are starvers, and those fines aren't cheap. You might as well take away a month's pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad