FHL: Who will be the first to fold

AHLFAN

Mar 10, 2008
Shrewsbury, PA
With every team averaging below 1,000 fans per game. Who will be the first to fold?

Here are the averages per the FHL website:

LEAGUE ATTENDANCE

TEAM YESTERDAY TOTAL Games AVERAGE
Dayton 6,794 7 970
Port Huron 5,137 6 856
Danville 7,892 10 789
Danbury 4,965 7 709
Berlin 3,706 7 529
Brewster 1,485 7 212

TOTALS: 29,979 44 681

Last edited:

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
Dayton has already missed paying players and the player exit has started. No money for even food for some players.
Rumor has it that the team is either up for sale or folding. What a waste of a young players life. P.O.S owners. This is the worst league to waste your life away in. FHL should close down completely and do everyone a favor.
McDonalds pays better.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I guess I'll have to head up to the game in Dayton tomorrow.

I actually enjoy going to Hara once or twice a year to watch the FHL.

Any source on missed payroll in Dayton?

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
Yea, Go speak to the owner. See what B.S he feeds you. Pathetic.
This is low quality hockey and any OHL jr. team would embarrass any team in this league. 6 teams that cant sustain themselves tells it all.
Owners that tell players we are short this week and we will pay you next week then 4 weeks go by and no pay. Mean while the players are expected to pay for all their food on out of town trips with no more money to purchase a loaf of bread with. What a JOKE!
Things are pending:shakehead

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Dayton hockey has been a disaster ever since the ECHL left. Sorry to hear that the players are being stiffed.

Any chance that the players won't play Thursday vs. Port Huron? Who is the owner?

Last edited:

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
Not sure why anyone would want to play there when some teams cant even pay their players.
The quality of this hockey is far below what any real hockey person would call professional.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
Why would anyone want to play for such a league?

I occasionally play with a guy that practices with the Dayton team and claims he's a "professional hockey player". He's played a grand total of three games in this league in the last three years and he's a decent "B" level adult league player. He's one of those guys that holds on to that dream of being a pro, so he's exactly the type of person that plays in this league... :popcorn:

Danbury102

Mar 6, 2008
So, whoever picked Dayton in this pool it appears you are the winners. They have canceled their game with Danbury this weekend and reportedly are done unless they can find a new investor.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So, whoever picked Dayton in this pool it appears you are the winners. They have canceled their game with Danbury this weekend and reportedly are done unless they can find a new investor.

But the world NEEDS Class-A hockey!! :shakehead

This garbage league can't die soon enough.

Cornuts

Jan 29, 2012
The real sad thing is that there are young men holding onto a dream that has mostly past. This league knows it and its owners know this.
Not paying players is disgraceful and the pos people that run these organizations should be shut down for good.
Unpaid Players should file civil law suits against the owners of these teams.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
But the world NEEDS Class-A hockey!! :shakehead

This garbage league can't die soon enough.

This is why I hate using the baseball classification terminology for hockey. Calling the AHL "AAA" and ECHL "AA" makes no sense if there's no "A" and, unless you consider the SPHL "A", there seems to be no league at that level that can work.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Unpaid Players should file civil law suits against the owners of these teams.

Unfortunately, it takes money (and sometimes lawyers) to initiate legal proceedings against employers who stiff their employees. If you're a guy trying to scratch out a living working for the Dayton Demonz, my guess is you don't have much money to begin with.

And, if you did manage to prevail in the court system, collecting on your settlement would be akin to getting blood from a turnip. It's a sad situation, but it's a risk most hockey players at this level have to know they are taking.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
There's a picture of their new "venue" on the team's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/daytondemo/

It's embarrassing that a league like this is allowed to continue. Who the Hell is going to pay money to watch a so-called professional team play in a neighborhood rec rink?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
There's a picture of their new "venue" on the team's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/daytondemo/

It's embarrassing that a league like this is allowed to continue. Who the Hell is going to pay money to watch a so-called professional team play in a neighborhood rec rink?

That's basically the type of arena most of the teams play in. That's pretty much the type of arena the Cape Cod team played on last year or two years ago.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
That's basically the type of arena most of the teams play in. That's pretty much the type of arena the Cape Cod team played on last year or two years ago.
Gotta love this comment on their facebook page:
Is this a joke? Were now officially the laughing stock of the FHL.
I think it takes more than moving to rec rink to achieve that. I have friends in Dayton who attend the games, and for their sake I hope the team makes it, but you have to be realistic about minor league hockey and what is financially feasible at the lower levels - both as owners and fans.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
...but you have to be realistic about minor league hockey and what is financially feasible at the lower levels - both as owners and fans.

The miscalculations made by the Dayton Demolition are quite tragic for those fans who have handed over money to support the organization. Reading through the comments on Facebook, it seems the new venue has an inadequate seating capacity and lacks the necessary parking as well. For season ticket holders, this has to be a huge disappointment...especially for the fans who live in the northern part of Dayton. Their travel time is going to be much greater, and the accommodations will be much lesser.

It's not a good strategy for earning repeat business.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Dayton isn't scheduled to have another home game until January 21st after the Jan 1 game.

I doubt that they'll be around for the Jan. 21st game. The team is in dire straits financially and there's no revenue for 3 weeks. Paying rent, per diems, busses, hotels, equipment, medical and salaries for 3 weeks would seem to be too much to expect for a team with no revenue sources. I'd imagine that the team is on a C.O.D. basis by now with everyone who has done business with them.

I hope I'm wrong about this.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Dayton isn't scheduled to have another home game until January 21st after the Jan 1 game.

I doubt that they'll be around for the Jan. 21st game. The team is in dire straits financially and there's no revenue for 3 weeks. Paying rent, per diems, busses, hotels, equipment, medical and salaries for 3 weeks would seem to be too much to expect for a team with no revenue sources. I'd imagine that the team is on a C.O.D. basis by now with everyone who has done business with them.

I hope I'm wrong about this.
I doubt you are.

Everything you said about 3 weeks without revenue is dooming.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/ne...-dayton-hockey-still-drawing-breath-if/npwBx/

South Metro owner Nick Poe confirmed the game indeed will take place and that he hopes to help the Demolition finish the season.

They might resemble nomads, though, if Poe’s vision is adopted by New Jersey-based team owner William Dadds.

“Here’s the deal,” said Poe, a former Dayton Bombers equipment manager who bought South Metro in 2014. “I can make it work, but not every game’s going to be in this building. I’m smart enough to know it can’t be in this building all the time.

No home arena for all intents and purposes.

Karen Wampler, the Hara marketing director, on Monday received a cryptic text from Dadds. “I’m done,” the message read. “League is pushing me out.”

The Demolition then announced on Facebook they were done with Hara, leaving hockey fans confused and the arena with 18 empty dates.

Wampler said the news came as a surprise because the arena had been working to help the team meet its payroll and stay afloat. This is the Demolition’s first season on the scene after the Dayton Demonz went adrift.

No owner and Hara was helping make the payroll. Combined with no real home arena and there is no hope for this team.

The Demoliton game which starts in about 5 minutes will probably be a wrap for Dayton professional hockey for a long time, perhaps forever. Too bad.

Falconone

Jun 4, 2007
Suburb of Boston MA
Filling in some blanks

Been reading and to some degree following the various threads on this league. All in all it settles out to sounding a little harsh.

Let me be clear, I am not trying to explain or justify any of the act being criticized. Maybe just providing some context.

RE: Dayton. When the original team that played there last year was moved out by it's ownership, the owner(s) of the Berkshire Battalion team saw an opportunity to address a problem. To wit: an inability to schedule home games on a Friday night in Berkshire. Not throwing shade on either the rink management, the town of Berkshire or ownership. Moving to Danville was done (in part) to address that scheduling issue as well as improving facilities. However, the rink situation that they ended up with created a different and more critical problem. The rink ownership took the entire gate receipts and deducted their costs of ice and rink facility game day management and gave the remainder to the team. Often this was a hundred dollars or less. So instead of improving the financial situation, it made it worse. I have NO information as to the previous arrangements with last years team, nor info on attendance.

Look, I understand that the Dayton ownership agreed to the lease terms, though I can see where moving from a virginal market like Berkshire to a (more) established market like Dayton, could have led to conclusions that ended up being unsupportable by the resultant actual events.

But no matter what the case is, one can see that without game day revenues it becomes difficult for a team to pay it's bills. I suspect the move to the new facility is/was an attempt to address that situation.

Source for this info: League players

As for other teams, each situation is different, but the model established by last years league Champs, Watertown Wolves, would be a good place to start. It was widely reported that the ownership team consisted of local businessmen who formed a partnership to own the team. According to those reports, interested ownership prospects were advised not to expect to be profitable or even break even for at least several years. They were setting up a tax loss opportunity until the team could be established in the community. But according to different sources, even that ownership model was tested and there were some periods in which players were not paid on time. But it would seem to me that their 'model' made more sense for the long term.

Several new teams have new ownership groups this year. And several of the marketplaces have yet to embrace their local team. And yes, they may never. But when you look at the attendance numbers for these franchise locations there are several that have had a history of supporting local minor hockey. So those situations may well improve. What most likely necessary, is for the team management to make a concerted effort to cultivate relationships with local fan bases etc. to 'market' their product (the team) more effectively. This takes more than a few months. Maybe years.

As for criticism of players in the league, I would hope that those who make some of the comments I've read, would take a step back and take a deep breath. After all it's a GAME. Most of these players are there principally because they love the game. Some have higher ambitions, moving up to play in the higher minor pro ranks. Perhaps as a way of establishing a resume to move into coaching and teaching in the future. Witness the comments made by the new Brewster franchise coach, David Lun, made when he was hired.

So maybe the level of play is not the level of the old Danbury Trashers, but neither is the payroll on or off the books lol.

Look as someone mentioned, a lot of these kids are chasing a dream. One they are not ready to give up on just yet. As I heard one young player say, " there will be no better time in my life to do this. I have no real responsibilities right now. I don't want to look back and have the regret of not trying".

I'm sure every player has their own reasons for what they are doing. One would hope that everyone could gain some perspective on this and be less judgmental.

Remember it's easy to be critical, it's much more difficult to be correct.

F1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad