Few years gone, views on Koivu.

HABSonaroll

Mar 20, 2013
Koivu was a good captain, but he will never have his number retired. Retired numbers should only go to Hall of Fame players.

Having said all that, I would sign him to a one year contract and have him retire a Hab. Let Gionta go, and have Koivu be captain for the next year, as a bridge captain.

Koivu :) should have his # retired here - that's how good he played for the HABS ie. when he was injured in the 2006 playoffs the HABS were Winning going away - the Team went flat after that- he was a true leader :yo: - but I agree sign Koivu for 1 year and let Gionta go .

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I'll probably end up regretting sharing this with you, as somebody will more than likely mock me for it.

On January 1st of this year, my son was born with complications and spent his first 25 days on Earth at the Montreal Children's Hospital. I can't explain how hard that was, but what kept me going was the jersey that hung on the wall, next to the door to my son's room. It's a Saku Koivu jersey, autographed and personalized to the staff at the hospital and every day I'd take my son to see it. He won't remember that as he grows up but it meant the world to me. I was a Habs fan before Koivu was drafted and I'll be a Koivu fan (and a Habs fan) until the day I die.

My son, after two brain surgeries in five months, is doing really well. For anybody that cares.

Touching story Habs13, thanks so much for sharing it. :)

Koivu is god.

Amen brother!

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
After 1 point shy of being the Ducks 10th greatest scorer, Koivu will be a unrestricted free agent.

The Captaincy will probably be vacated and we can probably find him a spot on the 4th line for cheap by trading Briere and at the same time having 4m to sign a good free agent this off season.

There's never been a better opportunity for him to come back home. I know some people aren't too big on the nostalgia act...is it a good idea? Bad idea?

If we have some money to waste on someone like Bouillon then I believe we can figure out a way to bring him back for one final run. He should have never left the team in the first place...

Last edited:

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Wouldn't want Koivu as captain. I don't think moving forward it would be wise to make a FA captain, especially if his expiry date is 2-3 years from now. As great of a captain that he was, it's been like 5 years since he's been here and the team is not even close to the same team he led. I'd love to give him the A and a limited role where he could put up a ice 35 points, but that's about it. I don't think MB is going to pursue him though. My instinct tells me he's going to finish off his career on Minny with his brother.

Nynja*

The Captaincy will probably be vacated and we can probably find him a spot on the 4th line for cheap by trading Briere and at the same time having 4m to sign a good free agent this off season.

Yeah, you know, its just so easy to trade players away. Especially when they have a NTC etched into the contract.

gamefan14*

good player but had the bad luck of playing for the habs during weak years except 07-08

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Yeah, you know, its just so easy to trade players away. Especially when they have a NTC etched into the contract.

Briere is still a good player with 1 year left on his deal. I'm sure a lot of teams wouldn't mind getting him. I don't think he expected to play on the 4th line either. Furthermore, he's divorced and his kids doesn't live with him. It can be done...

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
The fascination with retreads on these boards amazes me
Whatever Koivu meant to this team in the past should be left there.(in the past)
Ever wonder why people stopped buying retreads? cuz they werent as good as the real thing
Koivu's time has come and gone, let it go, sadly, same for Briere - don't want either

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
Koivu :) should have his # retired here - that's how good he played for the HABS ie. when he was injured in the 2006 playoffs the HABS were Winning going away - the Team went flat after that- he was a true leader :yo: - but I agree sign Koivu for 1 year and let Gionta go .

HAHAH are you kidding me?!? I'm glad for everything Koivu did while he was here but there is no way his # should be retired and ABSOLUTELY no way he should be signed. That ship sailed year ago......come on lets just move on.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
Whatever Koivu meant to this team in the past should be left there.(in the past)
Ever wonder why people stopped buying retreads? cuz they werent as good as the real thing
Koivu's time has come and gone, let it go, sadly, same for Briere - don't want either

Agreed...just shows what the new fans think...they have no clue. :help: :laugh:

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
After 1 point shy of being the Ducks 10th greatest scorer, Koivu will be a unrestricted free agent.

There's never been a better opportunity for him to come back home. I know some people aren't too big on the nostalgia act...is it a good idea? Bad idea?

If we have some money to waste on someone like Bouillon then I believe we can figure out a way to bring him back for one final run. He should have never left the team in the first place...

Get over it people. Hes done...finished...he moved on and so didn't the Habs. Christ...lets bring back ever Hab player...like Koivu, Cube, or anyone else so they can die here. They are old, they are DONE DONE DONE. Get over it. :shakehead

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary

We got Eric Cole as a "retread" and he scored more goals for us than anyone in what 20 years?

Oh wait he wasn't as good as the "real thing" whatever that is. :laugh:

Please do elucidate because you sound like someone who should be cheering for Edmonton and their team of "real deals".

Last edited:

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
We got Eric Cole as a "retread" and he scored more goals for us than anyone in what 20 years?

Oh wait he wasn't as good as the "real thing" whatever that is. :laugh:

Please do elucidate because you sound like someone who should be cheering for Edmonton and their team of "real deals".

Sorry, I wasn't aware that we picked Cole up as a washed up 40 year old that a good part of the fanbase had a man crush on.

If you insist on drawing parallels make them relevant please.

LOL if you can't see the difference between the two there's no point in having a discussion with you

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Get over it people. Hes done...finished...he moved on and so didn't the Habs. Christ...lets bring back ever Hab player...like Koivu, Cube, or anyone else so they can die here. They are old, they are DONE DONE DONE. Get over it. :shakehead

For someone who was washed up 5 years ago, he did a tremendous job in Anaheim. He would be good on the 4th line, the only problem with his signing would be that we need to get bigger.

Still, I would sign him on the cheap end!

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
his points totals declined every year he was there
just sayin...........................

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Sorry, I wasn't aware that we picked Cole up as a washed up 40 year old that a good part of the fanbase had a man crush on.

If you insist on drawing parallels make them relevant please.

LOL if you can't see the difference between the two there's no point in having a discussion with you

Oh wait there is a magical line people cross when they hit a certain age I guess. Someone flips a switch and they go into "useless" mode.

He got 29 pts playing 15 mins a night in about 65 games, similar to Galchenyuk, Eller, Briere, Gionta, Gallagher and Pleks. Wow I had no idea how many useless players we signed. Think we should dump them asap?

It is clear you missed the point so I will slow it down for you. Because a player is a certain age doesn't mean they are not useful.

KBstyle

Aug 3, 2005
C'mon let's look forward and just give the job to a rookie instead of Koivu even if he can help. I've still have good memory of Koivu, let's keep this that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00