Fertitta shows renewed interest in bringing hockey to Houston (Bloomberg)

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

If you can't read the article cuz of paywall, here's this:

Basically, Tillman Fertitta has shown renewed interest in getting hockey back into Houston, even if its purely to get a new multipurpose arena. Whether or not he's actually motivated with paying the fees this time, or if he's going to be interested in the goings-on in Arizona remains to be seen.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
I really get the sense that as long as Ryan Smith and co. are making their interest in SLC publicly known, and the possibility of getting a replacement arena for the 2032 Olympics is on the cards, the NHL is going to prefer going there for expansion/Coyotes then Houston.

Something tells me that the NHL hasn't really forgotten Tillman's bluster about southern hockey 'not working' as a dig for being told to pound sand because of the fees issue.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I really get the sense that as long as Ryan Smith and co. are making their interest in SLC publicly known, and the possibility of getting a replacement arena for the 2032 Olympics is on the cards, the NHL is going to prefer going there for expansion/Coyotes then Houston.

Something tells me that the NHL hasn't really forgotten Tillman's bluster about southern hockey 'not working' as a dig for being told to pound sand because of the fees issue.

God the NHL sure can hold a grudge...

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015

I think the Coyotes get stuffed into Houston on the (relative) cheap; by that I mean like $700-800 million. Then SLC and ATL get $1b expansion franchises each.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think the Coyotes get stuffed into Houston on the (relative) cheap; by that I mean like $700-800 million. Then SLC and ATL get $1b expansion franchises each.
Part of the relocation agreement is the club will not have to expose players to expansion drafts?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

See, and I really get the sense that the NHL prefers Houston over any other open market, period. Fertitta’s interest coming back around puts Houston to the front of the line and all will be forgiven in the light of a 7 million metro population.

If Fertitta is really serious, Houston is even ahead of Atlanta.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Zero chance the league gives a shit about those comments

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That's neat and all, but... wait...

Screenshot_20240224-085745_Firefox.jpg

... what, what, what, what?

Did I miss something, or is that poorly worded and how much Bettman was hoping to get for two or three teams combined?

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
See, and I really get the sense that the NHL prefers Houston over any other open market, period. Fertitta’s interest coming back around puts Houston to the front of the line and all will be forgiven in the light of a 7 million metro population.

If Fertitta is really serious, Houston is even ahead of Atlanta.

Pretty much. I don't know how anyone can make a case if we're going by market alone that Salt Lake City is better than Houston.

I get the feeling the league talking to Smith of Utah was also a signal to Fertitta that the door is still open if he is still willing to play ball. We'll see if it leads to anything.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I don't agree, NHL loves big markets and why they want to go to Atlanta again, keep the Coyotes in Arizona, and eventually get another team in Houston (via expansion).

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I don't agree, NHL loves big markets and why they want to go to Atlanta again, keep the Coyotes in Arizona, and eventually get another team in Houston (via expansion).
Keeping a team in Arizona has always been Bettman's M.O. but eventually they will run out of options, and moving to Houston or SLC would be a lateral option.

Personally, I'll always prefer Houston but the options exist.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Keeping a team in Arizona has always been Bettman's M.O. but eventually they will run out of options, and moving to Houston or SLC would be a lateral option.

Personally, I'll always prefer Houston but the options exist.
I would think the NHL prefers Houston over SLC as well, but Ryan Smith's enthusiasm might change that.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
Of course, I've been posting for YEARS on this board that Houston needs a franchise. I sure hope that Tilman Fertitta, the "Billionaire Buyer" can deliver!

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Yeah, the NHL's ideal situation would be:

(Coyotes stay) expand to SLC, ATL, HOU and QC.
One per division (well, SLC to Central and ARZ slides west), everyone is happy.

If the Coyotes move, you don't want them to go to the biggest (aka most expensive) market, you want them going to the smallest one so you can charge top dollar in expansion fees...

Like SLC, ATL, HOU and San Diego paying expansion fees, and QC getting the Coyotes.

Of course, I've been posting for YEARS on this board that Houston needs a franchise. I sure hope that Tilman Fertitta, the "Billionaire Buyer" can deliver!

The NHL has wanted a team in Houston for decades, but the Rockets owner has always been the only one that could make it happen.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
The NHL has wanted a team in Houston for decades, but the Rockets owner has always been the only one that could make it happen.

Meh…. Fertitta is chumming like he did before. He’s already outed himself as someone who only wants a team on the cheap.

If the league thinks that market would pull in a fat expansion team fee they aren’t going give him a discount and he’s not going to pay it..

Reactions: Stumbledore

KevFu

May 22, 2009
The ideal** is that Fertitta can pay full price for a team because the "lure" of adding a new team makes Houston build him a brand new arena 10-15 years earlier; and that combined with the Space City RSN deal, gives him more revenue that makes it work out to the same thing.

(** - well, unless you're a Houston taxpayer)

Not to mention the value financially of being an expansion team with a totally blank slate and the expansion draft that made Vegas/Seattle competitive right away, vs inheriting the Coyotes?

Reactions: LT and Anisimovs AK

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's neat and all, but... wait...

View attachment 824564

... what, what, what, what?

Did I miss something, or is that poorly worded and how much Bettman was hoping to get for two or three teams combined?
TB sold like 40% of their team for a valuation of $1.4 billion. (so, they got $560 million for that 40%). Houston is a larger market, as would ATL be as well. Probably why he's targeting that range.

If that is the range the NHL wants Houston to pay, can Fertitia handle that? Toyota Center, opened in like 2003, so it's only 20 years old. If the location works, I assume renovations would be made to upgrade the facility, vs build a new one.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

KevFu

May 22, 2009
TB sold like 40% of their team for a valuation of $1.4 billion. (so, they got $560 million for that 40%). Houston is a larger market, as would ATL be as well. Probably why he's targeting that range.

If that is the range the NHL wants Houston to pay, can Fertitia handle that? Toyota Center, opened in like 2003, so it's only 20 years old. If the location works, I assume renovations would be made to upgrade the facility, vs build a new one.

Renovations have been made (and are being made). The $30m upgrades to suites, LED boards, lighting etc. (and an ice plant!)

Fertitta gets the concept of facilities, he's a huge donor to the University of Houston athletics, building them new basketball and football and practice facilities.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
They have to fix that Winnipeg situation too. I don't see the Canadian TV deal being great growth this time around. Winnipeg has a small corporate base, the arena is small so they can't make up revenue by lowering tickets prices and offering more. The Canadian media thumping the bandwagon of more Canadians teams after the lockout and salary cap were short cited and now you're starting to see what these WHA markets are really like post honeymoon period again.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
As a pragmatist and a realist, I understand both the Canadian feelings of the NHL "turning its back" on a loyal fan base for their product in Canada, and the business side of ATL, HOU, PHX, DAL, DEN are just bigger markets than WIN, QC, and Hartford.

But the fact that Winnipeg and Quebec might struggle to keep up financially in the NHL means you need to FIX that in the NHL, because it's a sign you're making your product unobtainable to he masses and in danger of becoming a brand like Lexus.

Atlanta, Houston, and Salt Lake should HELP Quebec City get a team, not price them out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad