Fertitta : " Hockey struggles south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and it's a fact"

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Well, based on what he said, how he said it, body language etc... not exactly bristling with confidence, hesitant, cautious, for sure negativity with that bit about the Mason-Dixon. A lack of confidence on his part, creating obstacles for himself, excuses, reasons to be "concerned" rather than expressing full confidence. Certainly not a guy who would contemplate dropping $650M on an Expansion Team given what he's said.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sounds an awful lot like the vitriol from Leslie Alexander, not Tillman Fertitta, it won't help Houston return to pro hockey at any league level, agreed with Killion, here, haven't we heard that before regarding Houston....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
He's not wrong.

I disagree. For one thing the only reason the NHL's had problems south of the Mason~Dixon or anywhere near it has everything to do with itself & intransigent ownership. Secondly, since when does the State of Texas give a frigg about the Mason~Dixon & "The South" (I mean the proper South)? Ya, they did Secede & joined the Confederacy after deposing Governor Sam Houston, considered the "Lower South", cotton producers, slavery endorsed but since then, massive socio-economic & cultural changes. That state firmly planted in the separate dilineated region of the Southwest. Texas for all intents & purposes a country unto itself....

So no, I'm not buying his argument as it ignores the reasons for the NHL failures while casting aspersions on markets south of the Mason~Dixon while also ignoring domestic demographic shifts, fails to take into any account the various ownership's & Leagues culpability and responsibilities for those failures.... be it Cousins, the train wreck that was the KC Scouts & Rockies, the Morons in S.Florida & Tampa, ASG, Arizona with Burke & Gluckstern... Ellman/Moyes/IA & now Barroway, Hicks & so on & so forth.

Fertitta is creating obstacles for himself upon conception and that is not the kind of owner you want. Fickle. Blame the market. Blame the fans. If you believe in the power of the game & the NHL brand you can more than make a go of it. Houston has all of the fundamentals, ideal location. Maybe he's playing games. Maybe he truly does want in but isnt prepared to pay whatever it is the NHL is demanding for the Coyotes so he's creating this "Mason~Dixon" narrative-nonsense in order to garner the upper-hand, leverage and I dont see that workin on Bettman, the NHL. So ya, Houston, you have a problem. And its name is Tilman Fertitta.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I still think Houston will get a team. I just don't see the NHL wanting to create another league imbalance after finally resolving it. The choice is either keep team with no new arena ever possible happening in Arizona or Houston.

Reactions: BJNT and Llama19

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Translation: I’m not spending $650 million to introduce and grow the game of Hockey in Houston.

Pretty much my takeaway as well, ya. And even if half that, like if he bought 49% or 51% of the Coyotes for $325M I'd be wondering about him based on what he's saying. Just doesnt strike me as being really "sold" on the game. Passionate. Just that "it would be nice". A long time goal, dream.... whatever thats supposed to mean. I can certainly understand & appreciate his reluctance as frankly I do believe that franchise valuations, what Foley paid, what Seattle's about to pay... hyper inflated. The numbers simply dont pencil out so you need that passion, belief, that the franchise part of an empire that will be a bit of a lost leader for some time but helpful, necessary to other business interests. Not seeing it with this guy.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Pretty much my takeaway as well, ya. And even if half that, like if he bought 49% or 51% of the Coyotes for $325M I'd be wondering about him based on what he's saying. Just doesnt strike me as being really "sold" on the game. Passionate. Just that "it would be nice". A long time goal, dream.... whatever thats supposed to mean. I can certainly understand & appreciate his reluctance as frankly I do believe that franchise valuations, what Foley paid, what Seattle's about to pay... hyper inflated. The numbers simply dont pencil out so you need that passion, belief, that the franchise part of an empire that will be a bit of a lost leader for some time but helpful, necessary to other business interests. Not seeing it with this guy.

Seattle (from the area) and the PNW has a long history of hockey. Houston does not. It will be easier to see a franchise succeed in Seattle than it will in Houston.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Fertitta is still far better than having to deal with Les Alexander.

Seattle (from the area) and the PNW has a long history of hockey. Houston does not. It will be easier to see a franchise succeed in Seattle than it will in Houston.

I think Houston can succeed the issue its how much it's going to cost to get said team and trying to make it work financially.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Shall I be one of the people who believes that Houston is large enough for a suburban arena and the northern suburbs would be one of those rare cases where a suburban location might trump downtown?

Or do I believe that? Thing is, these suburbs already build minor-league style arenas to house multiple high school events in their districts. Some things in Texas are just nuts.

I only just want to add that the title of this thread makes me sad for essentially killing Maui as an option.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Hockey struggles in Washington and St. Louis? :dunno: :sarcasm:
Hardly a canadian fan now is it? This is like the first time I have ever heard an owner in any league say this. This actually gives the BIG more incentive to give him a team and prove the theory wrong, however.
I disagree. For one thing the only reason the NHL's had problems south of the Mason~Dixon or anywhere near it has everything to do with itself & intransigent ownership. Secondly, since when does the State of Texas give a frigg about the Mason~Dixon & "The South" (I mean the proper South)? Ya, they did Secede & joined the Confederacy after deposing Governor Sam Houston, considered the "Lower South", cotton producers, slavery endorsed but since then, massive socio-economic & cultural changes. That state firmly planted in the separate dilineated region of the Southwest. Texas for all intents & purposes a country unto itself....

So no, I'm not buying his argument as it ignores the reasons for the NHL failures while casting aspersions on markets south of the Mason~Dixon while also ignoring domestic demographic shifts, fails to take into any account the various ownership's & Leagues culpability and responsibilities for those failures.... be it Cousins, the train wreck that was the KC Scouts & Rockies, the Morons in S.Florida & Tampa, ASG, Arizona with Burke & Gluckstern... Ellman/Moyes/IA & now Barroway, Hicks & so on & so forth.

Fertitta is creating obstacles for himself upon conception and that is not the kind of owner you want. Fickle. Blame the market. Blame the fans. If you believe in the power of the game & the NHL brand you can more than make a go of it. Houston has all of the fundamentals, ideal location. Maybe he's playing games. Maybe he truly does want in but isnt prepared to pay whatever it is the NHL is demanding for the Coyotes so he's creating this "Mason~Dixon" narrative-nonsense in order to garner the upper-hand, leverage and I dont see that workin on Bettman, the NHL. So ya, Houston, you have a problem. And its name is Tilman Fertitta.
An NHL franchise is not worth 650 million imo. There is no TV contract to justify that. Mostly because of what you have mentioned. This shouldn't affect a bid unless jacobs is as thin skinned as people here say he is.

Last edited:
Reactions: varsaku and Killion

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
He's not wrong.

Except hockey appears to be doing very well in Nashville. Tampa Bay has been successful. Carolina had been successful in the past. Vegas has been hugely successful so far.

My take-away is that hockey can succeed in non-traditional markets where there is not substantial conflict with other sports (and more importantly, basketball). All of the markets I mentioned the team does not go up against basketball. Whereas in Miami, Phoenix, Dallas... there is a NBA franchise to compete against.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
Except hockey appears to be doing very well in Nashville. Tampa Bay has been successful. Carolina had been successful in the past. Vegas has been hugely successful so far.

My take-away is that hockey can succeed in non-traditional markets where there is not substantial conflict with other sports (and more importantly, basketball). All of the markets I mentioned the team does not go up against basketball. Whereas in Miami, Phoenix, Dallas... there is a NBA franchise to compete against.

Except Dallas has done great since they came in, on and off the ice. The panthers and Yotes have been terrible since their inception. Performance of the new team is the most important part in winning the support of the local casual fan.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Houston had a hockey team that did very well and only lost it because Alexander didn't want them in his building anymore. They wouldn't have to be "introduced."

Well, that was 40 years ago (a WHA team I think). So, to most of their potential fan base, they would have to be introduced.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
It sounds like a negotiation to me. Foley paid 500 million to be south of the Mason-Dixon line (if it were to extend that that far west).

Tillman has all of the leverage with the league here. This is a market the league has wanted for a long time and he controls the only suitable venue in the area. On top of this he doesn't NEED 44 plus new dates at any price-point. Sometimes less is more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad