TSN: Ferraro speaks stone cold truth about oilers on radio

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
What is there to be said about the Oilers that is good?

"Man, they really know how to get those number one overall picks up there in Edmonton!"

I think too many fans are getting a wee bit to emotionally charged about the state of the Oiler. I don't know if it has to do with youth or a lack of seeing the big picture.

There's a lot more to consider with the Oiler than your typical NHL franchise. Someone please tell me all the free agents that are in or near there primes that have chose the Oilers? I can't for the life of me think of one.

2006 was a true aligning of the stars. Every move Lowe worked at the right time. The problem was that none of the guys he traded for wanted to be in Edmonton to begin with. Pronger set the tone a week after the playoffs and if there was any chance to keep those guys that went out the door.

I remember the deadline that year and Peca requested a trade. Peca said in a interview that Lowe tried and nothing went through. He then went on to say that Lowe asked him to make the best of it for the rest of the season and that's what he did.

The two disastrous thing that Lowe did wrong for this franchise was jumping the gun on the Pronger deal. The second was to think that the clutch and grab era of the NHL was going to stay away. He looked at players like St. Louis, R. Whitney and Briere and how well they were doing. They then went out a built a team of midgets and we know how that's going.

Another factor for the Oilers is that teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago sucked as bad as the Oilers for as long but they also filled that gaps with vets that were actually useful and good roll models for the kids. The Oilers not so much.

I guess my main point is that the Oilers will never be an attractive market for free agency so our only choice has been through the draft. Lowe and company know this very we'll hence the path that has been taken. It suck especially bad for us as fans because it's a lot more of a nasty way to go but they didn't have much of a choice IMO. For that I'm giving Lowe a little slack. Not a lot off GMs would have the Balls or patience from an owner to go that route. It's a route that I think was the only one left after all the failed at bats in the UFA market.

Also we had some pretty ****** timing on our three first picks in a row. What would this team look like if we picked 1st last, this and next year?

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
Nice post bucks_oil! This season isn't at all what I expected, but I don't think it proves that the rebuild has been a failure. I don't think there is any question that the 'value' of the organization is much higher than in 2007. The only question is whether or not MacT can leverage that value into success.

I am more or less indifferent to Lowe at this point, although he does deserve to be judged for the hiring of MacT, if things don't work out. That said, whatever happens to Lowe, I hope fan pressure doesn't get to the point where MacT is removed, since to this point I think the bulk of his work has been positive, and that he should get his three years.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
To answer your second question: Agree it's a tough definition. Mine is:

Rebuild: an acknowledgement of a non-competitive product, requiring a full restart and purging of personnel with the ultimate goal of a championship in X years. A rebuild usually involves STOCKPILING future assets before ACQUIRING present assets or SPENDING furtures to mold the competitive team.

Excellent, now we know, building a championship team in X years. so we should expect a championship team after the rebuild years which has been bandied about as 5 or 6 years.

You know 100% full well that if the rebuild fails people will say.....'oh no no no no, you expect a championship team after only 5 or 6 years? We meant it is a team that can challenge for a playoff spot after 5 or 6 years!

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
On MacT:

I've already given my evidence for Lowe just being a scapegoat (on the basis of his continuity and his BIG MOUTH... what a dummy), but in actuality, I see evidence that MacT and Tambo behaved and managed very differently and therefore I DO BELIEVE management is in charge (as opposed to the BoD).

That is what allows me to see this period in discrete chunks, each attributed to the GM at that time. In my view we've ALREADY had the leadership change we should have expected. Steady hands and clearer heads now need to prevail. If it doesn't work then we have to reassess.

Kevin Lowe hired and fired Steve Tambelllini and has the man at the top is totally responsible for their and thus the teams performance.

Kevin Lowe hired MacT he is totally responsible for MacT's performance and thus the teams.

You simply can't remove Kevin Lowe from the organization and the accountability that goes along with it. You are into quoting things about the corporate world. The CEO is responsible for the performance of the company. He hires the managers who hire other people. He is part of the strategy of the company, if it fails badly the buck stops with him.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Nice post bucks_oil! This season isn't at all what I expected, but I don't think it proves that the rebuild has been a failure. I don't think there is any question that the 'value' of the organization is much higher than in 2007. The only question is whether or not MacT can leverage that value into success.

I am more or less indifferent to Lowe at this point, although he does deserve to be judged for the hiring of MacT, if things don't work out. That said, whatever happens to Lowe, I hope fan pressure doesn't get to the point where MacT is removed, since to this point I think the bulk of his work has been positive, and that he should get his three years.

This is what is bewildering, how does anyone think Mact can leverage anything when they keep stating they are not trading their assets that have value? Gagner, Hemksy and the lot are not going to bring what this team needs. "We are going to make moves to improve the team." "We are not being short sighted and trading any of our young assets."

All this means is we are going have the same Tamboesque gming as we had before. Each year sign or trade for some suspect Dmen and some 3 and 4 we hope forwards, rinse and repeat.

Oct 15, 2008
This is what is bewildering, how does anyone think Mact can leverage anything when they keep stating they are not trading their assets that have value? Gagner, Hemksy and the lot are not going to bring what this team needs. "We are going to make moves to improve the team." "We are not being short sighted and trading any of our young assets."

All this means is we are going have the same Tamboesque gming as we had before. Each year sign or trade for some suspect Dmen and some 3 and 4 we hope forwards, rinse and repeat.

Or announcing he is intending to trade assets we DO have. Ala Hemsky and Horcoff. Its embarrassing.

Who does that?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I find it amusing how the brainy media types have answers but no solutions.

Tell me Ray, who replaces Lowe? And remember to factor in who his boss is...

That's right. We are either stuck with Lowe or we move on under Lowe 2.0

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I find it amusing how the brainy media types have answers but no solutions.

Tell me Ray, who replaces Lowe? And remember to factor in who his boss is...

That's right. We are either stuck with Lowe or we move on under Lowe 2.0

Ferraro has just given in full on to the rant. He rants about anything. I'm waiting for a one hour segment on hard water.
Even by my standards this guy is negative.

Not sure if Ferraro was going for some easy popularity pts with the fans as damage control after people started to be highly critical of him here and on boards.

His concerns aren't worth speaking about being how many years after the fact he's stating this. But really the whole point of him stating this is buying hits, "look, I'm relevant and people are talking about what I'm putting down"

The only comment that is worth making is that the org needs somebody to be contrary. To further that because argument, debate can be good, leads to discussion, dialogue and sometimes even reconsideration

I'd wonder if its contract renegotiation time for Ferraro or if he's out looking for a job soon.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Unfortunately, the Oilers' management or masters of ignorance. It will fall on the deafest of ears imaginable. they don't even know what's going on around them. they think they've done a good job, FCOL!!!!

and Nero played the violin.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005

Perron is already more of an impact player than anyone Tambellini brought in through trade or FA (well except for a short burst from Whitney, and that required an impact player to be traded in return), and he was acquired by trading a young player with upside who wasn't part of the core. We have other players like that. To be fair, most are more prospect than PRV was, but hopefully some start to break in and become viable trade chips. Also, draft picks have value.

Plus, Gordon, Hendricks, Ference, Gazdik, Belov and Scrivens also look like they may be able to part of the solution and so I don't see how anyone can argue that MacT hasn't improved the roster on paper. The results are obviously not there, and maybe that is due to coaching (MacT's fault), but that still needs to be determined.

I don't mind giving him his three years. Maybe you feel different, and I can understand that, but I don't think it is unreasonable to give MacT some time.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
About time that somebody in the national media circuit said something. God knows that the Oilers will try and kill the career of any Edmonton media journalist who says the same thing.

Ferraro is absolutely 100% correct. He couldn't be more right.

This team is way past the "joke" line.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
About time that somebody in the national media circuit said something. God knows that the Oilers will try and kill the career of any Edmonton media journalist who says the same thing.

Ferraro is absolutely 100% correct. He couldn't be more right.

This team is way past the "joke" line.

:huh: The national media have been piling on for weeks now. During the intermission of most oiler TSN games they take turns bashing the oilers to the point they actually apologized to the viewer for being so negative. Why is Ferraro getting praise for shooting fish in a barrel? It seems that the "go to move" for anyone in Toronto to get cheap applause is to bash anything Edmonton. What ever floats your boat I guess:dunno:

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
:huh: The national media have been piling on for weeks now. During the intermission of most oiler TSN games they take turns bashing the oilers to the point they actually apologized to the viewer for being so negative. Why is Ferraro getting praise for shooting fish in a barrel? It seems that the "go to move" for anyone in Toronto to get cheap applause is to bash anything Edmonton. What ever floats your boat I guess :dunno:

They aren't piling on when they talk about the team negatively. They're hockey analyst, and there is no breakdown of the Oilers that doesn't conclude with "wow, this team is being run straight into the ground" or "that is a really bad hockey club".

They've even done a ton of positive hype regarding the rebuild against all reason(TSN especially), citing the Oilers as a team on the rise each of the last two years.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
:huh: The national media have been piling on for weeks now. During the intermission of most oiler TSN games they take turns bashing the oilers to the point they actually apologized to the viewer for being so negative. Why is Ferraro getting praise for shooting fish in a barrel? It seems that the "go to move" for anyone in Toronto to get cheap applause is to bash anything Edmonton. What ever floats your boat I guess:dunno:

I think the thing is that Ray Ferraro wants the Oilers to succeed. The Oilers gave him his big break as a broadcaster. They opened the door for him to do his stuff with TSN and NBC. He isn't "shooting fish in a barrel" to get a cheap applause. He's stating the truth because either the Edmonton media is too scared or doesn't see the debacle that is the Oilers. He wants this team to be successful.

Thank god someone in the media is willing to launch missiles.

Oct 15, 2008
Perron is already more of an impact player than anyone Tambellini brought in through trade or FA (well except for a short burst from Whitney, and that required an impact player to be traded in return), and he was acquired by trading a young player with upside who wasn't part of the core. We have other players like that. To be fair, most are more prospect than PRV was, but hopefully some start to break in and become viable trade chips. Also, draft picks have value.

Plus, Gordon, Hendricks, Ference, Gazdik, Belov and Scrivens also look like they may be able to part of the solution and so I don't see how anyone can argue that MacT hasn't improved the roster on paper. The results are obviously not there, and maybe that is due to coaching (MacT's fault), but that still needs to be determined.

I don't mind giving him his three years. Maybe you feel different, and I can understand that, but I don't think it is unreasonable to give MacT some time.

Tambellini spent most of his time trying to unload all the junk Lowe left him with. Hilarious that the one thing people point to in order to justify Mact was a salary dump.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Why does Ferraro have to have all the answers? Let him rant. It's not like he's applying for the GM position or something, so I don't get why everyone expects him to provide solutions for everything just because he voiced his opinion.

I really like the work that Ferraro does, always have, he's a good broadcaster. This reminds me of that Rishaug rant months ago.. it's a rant, guys, they're going to be emotionally charged and you just have to take it for what it is (basically the equivalent of 50% of the posts of these boards). I feel like people should be able to voice their opinion on how much the Oilers suck without having to provide ALL the answers. He's a media guy, he's not Kevin Lowe or Craig MacTavish.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
"...and we've gotta stop that Hitler guy."

Old news is old. I'm sincerely trying to salvage some optimism out of the remainder of the season. Despite the poorly run franchise, we've got several players who are trending towards career years. You don't hear a single breath from the Toronto media regarding that.

While I'm not personally going to chastise Ferraro over his comments, do we honestly need to hear the same **** over and over? It's truly sad that everyone just eats it up too.

Agreed. Sportsnet is a complete Joke now. same with TSN. It's funny how these guys even have jobs in the MSM. Sometimes I find myself subconsciously ready to core out my ear drums when I'm in the kitchen for my half period veggie platter, and I have to slowly back away.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
Why does Ferraro have to have all the answers? Let him rant. It's not like he's applying for the GM position or something, so I don't get why everyone expects him to provide solutions for everything just because he voiced his opinion.

I really like the work that Ferraro does, always have, he's a good broadcaster. This reminds me of that Rishaug rant months ago.. it's a rant, guys, they're going to be emotionally charged and you just have to take it for what it is (basically the equivalent of 50% of the posts of these boards). I feel like people should be able to voice their opinion on how much the Oilers suck without having to provide ALL the answers. He's a media guy, he's not Kevin Lowe or Craig MacTavish.

Hey I would just like to see a color commentary on the game not a freaking know-it-all one-upper narcissist speaking hockey politics in the middle of an end-to-end rush. Not saying this was the case at the specific incident but the guy goes way off all the time, and he is actually quite annoying to have been forced to listen to for the entire rebuild. Pretty sad compared to other color guys around the league actually.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
Tambellini spent most of his time trying to unload all the junk Lowe left him with. Hilarious that the one thing people point to in order to justify Mact was a salary dump.

I agree that Tambellini actually did a good job accomplishing his mandate (tanking/restocking the system), and I don't know if he got a fair chance to move to the next phase. Still, I don't think it is so simple to say that it was all Lowe's fault - our drafting/developing were awful for a long time before Lowe became GM. That said, the rebuild should have started earlier, no question - although it is much easier to be sure of that in hindsight.

As far as MacT though - I think there are plenty of legit criticisms you could throw his way (although I think in balance he has been quite good so far), but that is a weak argument to avoid giving him credit for Perron. You could make similar qualifications for just about any good or bad move any GM makes.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Excellent, now we know, building a championship team in X years. so we should expect a championship team after the rebuild years which has been bandied about as 5 or 6 years.

You know 100% full well that if the rebuild fails people will say.....'oh no no no no, you expect a championship team after only 5 or 6 years? We meant it is a team that can challenge for a playoff spot after 5 or 6 years!

Obviously not every rebuild is going to end in a championship (see Ottawa, etc), but of course that's the goal. And yeah... by that rigourous standard, that rebuild would be a fail.

Is it 5 or 6 years? That's also a pretty high bar for a FULL rebuild. I can't think of any team that achieved that... can you? Pittsburgh was considered "short" and it was still 8 years.

I mean just think about it. in a five year rebuild, your highest drafted players would only be 22, 21, 20, 19 and 18 at the time you are expecting them to win. Everybody thinks Chicago achieved that, sure, Kane was 21, Toews 22 but Seabrooke was 25, Keith was 26.

Do I think we could be there by the time Yakupov or Nurse are 21, 22? Yeah... it's not crazy, as RNH would be 23, Hall 24, Ebs 26.

But if you accept that being at least competitive and in the playoffs signals the end of the rebuilding phase, then yes... Pitts achieved that. We can still achieve that next year (if you are counting from Hall's draft year). We are already 2 years late if you count from Gagner's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad