News Article: Ference gives up C - RNH, Hall, Eberle and Ference named A's

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Lander, the Nuge, Hall, Eberle, and Ference all split duties in some fashion until McDavid blows the crap out of the NHL this year and he gets it next season.

Who knows. I'm not convinced it really matters much.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not that it matters to anyone really except some fans, but IMO the Oilers are going to go without a 'C' for this year, just have a bunch of rotating 'A's instead.

They're probably leaning in one of two ways:

1 - Having Hall as the captain, but they want to see how he is this year to confirm that he has grown up enough to handle the responsibility.

2 - Give McDavid a year to get acclimated, and if all goes well then slap the C on him as more of a symbolic gesture than anything.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
If they actually name a new captain I'm sure it will be Hall.

The only reason I think they might do that would be specifically to try and distract people from piling on McDavid a little bit.

Most likely no captain for this year though I imagine.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
All A's until after one championship then it's C for Connor permanently.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Personally I hope Mclellan hands it out like a gold star after every game. You played the best so next game you get to be the captain.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I honestly think nail would be a great captain.

A little bi polar but when he's at full intensity he is hilarious. Insert the interview.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I feel like for a team like the Oilers we need a captain, a leader on ice who brings it every game.
I think the Nuge would work well. He is the quiet leader who doesn't do anything controversial, leads by example and is a strong two way player.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'm in the camp that wants to wait for a bit.

I definitely don't want Hall right now. Too much smoke about his off ice persona. People will say this doesn't matter, but it certainly does.

The Captain has to be involved in the community, do things like SpiderMable, and show up at 8:00am on a Saturday morning for a charitable fundraiser.

Some guys thrive on this stuff; some are just a little too into themselves.

Methinks Hall is in the latter group. That may change in future, but right now my answer is "no" to a Taylor Hall captaincy.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
I'm in the camp that wants to wait for a bit.

I definitely don't want Hall right now. Too much smoke about his off ice persona. People will say this doesn't matter, but it certainly does.

The Captain has to be involved in the community, do things like SpiderMable, and show up at 8:00am on a Saturday morning for a charitable fundraiser.

Some guys thrive on this stuff; some are just a little too into themselves.

Methinks Hall is in the latter group. That may change in future, but right now my answer is "no" to a Taylor Hall captaincy.

I'm not sure how people don't think Hall is ready because he likes to drink. Many business leaders act like that when they're 45 let alone in their early 20s like Hall. Too much emphasis is placed on community involvement. Andrew Ference is amazing in the community but he has been utterly useless as a captain.

When you watch Hall play how can you not think of him as a captain. The guy literally will try to block a shot on an empty net with his face. He is the epitome of a captain.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Rotate the A's for at least 1 more year after this one and watch the thing unfold naturally

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
3 A's or no change at all is my guess. PC said yesterday that either today or tomorrow he and Todd would address the situation.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The one thing with Hendricks is how do you justify replacing a 36 year old 6/7 D captain with a 34 year old 4th liner captain?

Can justify it by him being a place holder that isn't going to be waived. Anyone else just seems like a waste at this point as you don't know what you have in McDavid for a captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad