News Article: Felger: Unlike Blackhawks, B's aren't getting what they paid for

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
So you are suggesting that Rask should make the same as Miller, Crawford, Bishop, Varlomov, Bishop, Lehtonen and Ward? 6 million is what an average to above average goalie makes now.

Krejci signed his contract after Bergeron for the same value as Stastny, a player he is better than, that year.

I can play this contract game, too, btw.

Is Toews really worth 3.5 million more than Bergeron? Is Lundqvist really worth 1.5 million more than Rask? OMG. Bruins got steals.

so you are in full support of PC's contracts with those guys? you are happy with them?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This? This what? Are we comparing Greg Campbell to Patrick Sharp here? Really? We aren't being at all disingenuous now are we?

You obviously don't know how much Sharp has gotten older this year. He is 3 years older than Campbell, you know. Campbell scored more goals than him at even strength. He is in serious decline and making 6 million a year.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Difference is Bickell played a major part in Chicago's cup win while Kelly played a secondary roll. the point is while some players are rewarded for cup performance you can't reward them all. Unless a player played a key roll as did Bickell, a guy like Kelly should not be over paid and get NTC.

Guys like Chara got a to much money, to much term and a NTC before he won anything.

Rask has NTC and too much money without ever winning anything.

guys like Lucic,Krejci and Marchand have all done their part in winning the cup so there is some justification there, but all three got to much money.

Every team seems to have a player that is a real bargain ,where is ours ? All I see are bunch of over paid players.

1000% disagree on the guys you listing as getting too much money except for Lucic.

Bargains not an ELC deals? Marchand. But yes, the Bruins don't have much. Seguin would have been.

Hamilton will be if they get him wrapped up long term.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
Patrick Sharp: fewer even strength goals than Campbell. 6 million cap hit. NTC.

Brian Bickell: 29 points. Same as Chris Kelly. 4 million cap hit. NTC.

Did Kelly get too much in Boston? Yes. He also had just finished scoring 20 while playing awesome D and then scoring at a 45 point pace during the playoffs when the team won the Cup. It happens. Campbell and Paille. They are 1.5 years and 2 years old than Bergeron respectively. They fell off the earth at 31. Not crazy young, but younger than average. Now they are gone. Seidenberg's. #2D who signed a sweetheart deal. Then blew out his knee. Bad luck. I, just not sure what all these bad contracts compared to the Hawks people are talking about are. Sometimes you make the right move and **** happens.

Great points, and **** does happen, but it happens to other teams as well. Chia was not fired because Seidenberg or Campbell or Paille, but his inability to draft any full-time NHLers who could contribute even in a supporting role. I don't count Seguin or Hamilton as the team was in a rare position to make no-brainer picks. Chia has made some awful trades, but he has also made some great ones, and luck governs all of that to a certain extent. But when he needed his drafted players to step up, they didn't, and that is on him.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Great points, and **** does happen, but it happens to other teams as well. Chia was not fired because Seidenberg or Campbell or Paille, but his inability to draft any full-time NHLers who could contribute even in a supporting role. I don't count Seguin or Hamilton as the team was in a rare position to make no-brainer picks. Chia has made some awful trades, but he has also made some great ones, and luck governs all of that to a certain extent. But when he needed his drafted players to step up, they didn't, and that is on him.

Agreed. Those drafts from 07-09 killed this team. PC fired a bunch of guys and now the 2010 guys like Spooner and Trotman are coming up and doing what we wish guys were doing in previous years. He got fired because Neely never wanted him. The 07-09 drafts were the excuse, but the problem is fixed. For the record, I have no problem with letting PC go, but he is a very good GM on the balance, and will win in EDM just like he did here.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Rask, Krejci and Bergeron? Absolutely.

If you're trying to find fault with they're contacts then you need a new hobby

Rask is going rate for Vezina caliber goaltending, but I can understand some grumbling. But how the hell anybody can criticize Bergeron's, Krejci's and Marchand's contracts, I'll never know. Marchand led the team in scoring and makes $4.5 million. Show me another recent Cup winner paying their leading scorer any less than $4.5M. Krejci's is the going market, and is great compared to the Brinks truck backing up to Toews' and Kane's house (and he outscored them both). And Bergeron? Bergeron's isn't a bad contract, it's a freaking home town discount!

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Krejci's contract is extremely debatable.

Top dollar - check
Term- check
NMC- check

So you can argue if Krejci is the guy you wan't to allocate that part of your budget on.

However, the contract he has is market or slightly below market value. If Stastny got 7 million on the open market, Krejci would have gotten 8 because of his playoff resume and even regular season resume to Stastny.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
So you can argue if Krejci is the guy you wan't to allocate that part of your budget on.

However, the contract he has is market or slightly below market value. If Stastny got 7 million on the open market, Krejci would have gotten 8 because of his playoff resume and even regular season resume to Stastny.

No use. No matter what the actual state of the market is, people will assume that if they were negotiating they could have got the guy for at least $1M less :) Stupid Chiarelli probably negotiated up on their asking price.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
i think you could have easily given Krejci 6.5 like Bergy, Rask 6m not 7. Did Rask really deserve 1.2m more annually than Quick? Is Krejci more valuable than Bergy? No and No, these were overpayments

The problem with this is you are comparing guys underpaid guys like Bergeron and when quick was . If you want to compare what people make against the sweetheart deals good luck. Bergy and Kieth are going to make the whole league look over paid . If Crawford is worth 6 than rask looks fine at 7 to me. I agree with you on Quick but I think he was a touch low. I see he is now at 7 though.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

But that is exactly the problem, Krejci is not worth 8M. Chicago let Ladd and Buff go when came time that they couldn't pay them. They can do that because there are others waiting in the system to take thier place.That is where we are ****ed , we don't have **** in the system so we have to overpay.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
But that is exactly the problem, Krejci is not worth 8M. Chicago let Ladd and Buff go when came time that they couldn't pay them. They can do that because there are others waiting in the system to take thier place.That is where we are ****ed , we don't have **** in the system so we have to overpay.

Yeah, he is.

He's a 65-70 point #1 center who is also top 10 in Selke voting. He also happens to be one of the top 5 playoff performers and is the only active player to lead through league in playoff scoring 2x.

Take a look at Toews' stats. Scores more goals but point totals are same as Krejci. He just got 10.5 a year.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
His first year at 7 mil. Has to do A LOT better. That's my point. He is certainly elite by today's standards.

Eh, I don't know. He is overpaid by about a million for the stats he put up this season. That's not the end of the world. And in a few years, 7 million will be expected for a .922 2.30 goalie. And we know he is more than capable of putting up higher numbers - particularly behind a defense that has a basic understanding of "defense."

And it's important to note, at least in my opinion, that for the second half of the season (January - April) he posted around a .930 - right on target. I think he took some time to adjust to such a miserable defense and it showed (he was borderline bad for the first half) but he was elite for the second half of the season and more than earned his salary.

Would it have been nice to get him for 5.5-6.5 per? Absolutely. Is 7 on the higher end? Yes. But of the contracts I hold against Chiarelli and I am concerned about, Tuukka's isn't one of them.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Honestly the only contract that PC's given out (without being Captain Hindsight) that stands out as being over-market is Kelly. There's the argument that the team should have just walked away from Campbell, Paille, Kelly, etc, but otherwise I don't see any deals that the player would have gotten anywhere close to less on the open market. I have zero problem with the $ that PC paid out.

One caveat I suppose is Iggy, didn't love the $ at his age but he did wind up producing pretty well relative to the contract.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Honestly the only contract that PC's given out (without being Captain Hindsight) that stands out as being over-market is Kelly. There's the argument that the team should have just walked away from Campbell, Paille, Kelly, etc, but otherwise I don't see any deals that the player would have gotten anywhere close to less on the open market. I have zero problem with the $ that PC paid out.

One caveat I suppose is Iggy, didn't love the $ at his age but he did wind up producing pretty well relative to the contract.

overpaid for the 4th liners for sure and if I was asked if Kelly is overpaid I`d say sure, but if we look at the market price for a guy who does what he does, I`d wager if he were an UFA right now, he`d snag 3+

Chia was too loyal, almost too fair and the drafting killed them for if this team drafted well, the necessity to pay the Soupy/Paille/Kelly`s of the world wouldn`t have happened IMO

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
overpaid for the 4th liners for sure and if I was asked if Kelly is overpaid I`d say sure, but if we look at the market price for a guy who does what he does, I`d wager if he were an UFA right now, he`d snag 3+

Chia was too loyal, almost too fair and the drafting killed them for if this team drafted well, the necessity to pay the Soupy/Paille/Kelly`s of the world wouldn`t have happened IMO

Yep, which is why I think Felger's article misses the mark. There's criticism's to be made, but he's barking up the completely wrong tree IMO and using a team that has it's own warts in that same area which he happily ignores.

Slay PC for poor drafting and development, and praise Bowman for having a steady pipeline of talent. It's a completely different argument, but it at least has legs.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003

No, they had to let them go because they flat out couldn't keep them - they lost in the first round twice after winning the Cup I do believe.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I don't think Krejci is in anyway analogous to Ladd and Buff. Boychuk is more analogous. Very good player, but not core. The general point that the Bruins didn't have youth to come up is totally valid, though. That being said, those bad drafts from 07-09 are yesterday's problem. 2010 is going to give them Spooner and Trotman. 2011 Hamilton, Koko, Ferlin and O'Gara. 2012 Subban, Gryz...whatever, and Griffith. The 13 and 14 drafts look very good and have already gotten this team Pasta. Add Morrow and Connolly to the list, too. Not all those guys will work out, but the problem of lack of youth to fill spots is an issue the new GM won't have to deal with. It's not just Caron and Hamil anymore.

FRANK CANNON

May 1, 2015
SoCal
Yeah, he is.

He's a 65-70 point #1 center who is also top 10 in Selke voting. He also happens to be one of the top 5 playoff performers and is the only active player to lead through league in playoff scoring 2x.

Take a look at Toews' stats. Scores more goals but point totals are same as Krejci. He just got 10.5 a year.

I don't know what to say here. This is beyond lazy, every single point you make is wrong.:help:

Krejci has been a 65 - 70 point player twice in his career.:shakehead

He has received even a single Selke vote in three seasons, finishing 6th 12th and 45th.:shakehead

He is not the only active player to lead the post season in scoring twice.:shakehead

To have the same point totals as Jonathan Toews Krejci will need to score 97 points in his next 14 games. But I'm sure a newly motivated Milan Lucic will enable this to happen.:thumbu:

Other than those minor missteps, fantastic post Mr. Fightclub.

Always a pleasure to get some insight from knowledgeable fans.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad