News Article: Felger: Unlike Blackhawks, B's aren't getting what they paid for

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hate it when Felger actually makes a valid point.

Unlike Blackhawks, B's aren't getting what they paid for

Chicago's cap crimes have been worth committing. The players that have taken them over the limit have won them titles. They are worth spending on. And the Hawks have continued to develop talent in the midst of it. Yes, they will have to peel off some pieces this summer. And, of course, they've had a couple bad deals (Brian Bickell). But who doesn't? By and large, Chicago's cap problems have been well worth it.

The Bruins? They are over the limit not because they've paid market rate for top-end talent. They're in cap jail because of too many extensions given to too many preferred veterans with replaceable skill sets. The Hawks are in cap jail with Kane and Toews. The B's are there with Chris Kelly and Dennis Seidenberg. Big difference.

Bottom line: Give me Chicago's cap problems any day of the week.

While we're here, maybe we can point to one more comparison with the B's and Hawks.

As we all know, the impetus behind the Tyler Seguin trade probably had more to do with his off-ice behavior than his on-ice shortcomings. We've all heard the rumors. The Blackhawks can certainly empathize, since Kane had many of the same hard-partying problems as Seguin.

But instead of bailing on a young, talented player who had a lot of growing up to do, the Blackhawks were patient. And today they have one of the deadliest snipers in the game.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hopefully our management/new gm will see this.

Great points sadly.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I just wish the Bruins had brought in someone to talk to Sequin who could relate to being young and enjoying life a little too much.

derek%20sanderson%20book%20cover.jpg

I have no idea if Derek is still on good terms with Bruins management but it couldn't have made things worse.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I hate it when Felger actually makes a valid point.

Unlike Blackhawks, B's aren't getting what they paid for

He's also right about Seguin.

Patrick Kane was criminally indicted, for crying out loud, and has been caught on multiple incidences of public drunkenness, with incriminating photos posted all over social media, on several occasions, over the years.

And yet, they stuck by their young forward and are reaping the benefits.

The Bruins, on the other hand...

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Crawford, Oduya, Roszival are terrible deals too. The difference is that Dale Tallon's work hasn't been completely demolished yet by Bowman. Also, Kane never sucked on the ice like Seguin does in the playoffs.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
That's why I say more Sweeney up he knows the issue unless Sweeney and Neely don't have a clue what to do as of now.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Patrick Kane was criminally indicted, for crying out loud, and has been caught on multiple incidences of public drunkenness, with incriminating photos posted all over social media, on several occasions, over the years.

Imagine that? Or even taking one step further. If they felt that they'd had enough and were dead set on moving him, why do it in such a hasty manner? The season ended and they made a franchise altering decision to move on 9 days later. Wouldn't it have been more prudent to decompress from the emotion of losing in the finals? Or draw the process out to drive up the bidding, at the very least?

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Kane shouldn't really even be a Blackhawks player. Not really fair to compare us to a team that just got lucky in the lottery

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

We are obviously dealing with the murky world of rumors when we talk about off-ice stuff, but I do think it's worth noting that being publicly intoxicated in the offseason is a different crime altogether than one that violates team rules in season or puts one at odds with teammates. It's not a remote stretch to point out that a significant number of professional hockey players are seen drunk during the offseason.

There's definitely a parallel between Kane and Seguin in terms of maturity issues, but I could see an NHL team being a little more patient with a guy who liked to party too much in the offseason but produced in the playoffs than a guy who ran afoul of teammates or coaches in-season ON TOP of not producing when it counts. This is all not to mention that just because the Bruins cut ties with Seguin doesn't mean it was the wrong thing to do. Piling up points on an offensive team that also failed to make the playoffs is not exactly a jury verdict on that decision.

(Oh, and in no world is Toews a better all-around player than Sidney Crosby.)

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
So he excuses Bickell, Roszival, Crawford (who doesn't have a couple bad deals), then compares Seids and Kelly to Toews and Kane.

His general point may not be wrong, but his logic is entirely flawed.

If you want to compare what the Hawks get from Toews/Kane/Hossa/Keith vs Bergy/Lucic/Krejci/Chara, that's fine. If you want to compare Sharp/Bickell/Roszival/Oduya to Kelly/Loui/Seids/McQuaid, go for it. But the argument as presented above is just flat out stupid.

The Hawks are in a better position because they've got a better pipeline of talent and their elite players are higher end than the Bruins are. Both teams have mid tier guys that they've overpaid, arguably Chicago has done that moreso.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Kane shouldn't really even be a Blackhawks player. Not really fair to compare us to a team that just got lucky in the lottery

And the Bruins incredible foresight to see the Maple Leafs dropping from 24th to 29th in the standings in one year despite ADDING PHIL KESSEL is all skill, no luck. Gotcha. :laugh:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
biggest degenerate in Boston sports media, last time I listened he whined for like 1hr about the Yankees Redsox extra inning marathon which he didn't watch and the red sox won!! His anti French rants are hateful as well.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I just wish the Bruins had brought in someone to talk to Sequin who could relate to being young and enjoying life a little too much.

Don't think Turk's issues and Seguin's issues were one and the same.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Imagine that? Or even taking one step further. If they felt that they'd had enough and were dead set on moving him, why do it in such a hasty manner? The season ended and they made a franchise altering decision to move on 9 days later. Wouldn't it have been more prudent to decompress from the emotion of losing in the finals? Or draw the process out to drive up the bidding, at the very least?

Oh and one other item of note. Why get garbage in return for Seguin ? They didn't shop him around like they should have, but still they should have gotten something better than they did. It's like Joe Thornton all over again.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Crawford, Oduya, Roszival are terrible deals too. The difference is that Dale Tallon's work hasn't been completely demolished yet by Bowman. Also, Kane never sucked on the ice like Seguin does in the playoffs.

dale tallon was a total gem for the hawks. the huet and campbell deals were especially awesome.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Well said. The Seguin decision was premature and knee jerk. Granted I think a lot more happened off the ice than we know but how much worse could it have been than assaulting a cab driver while intoxicated?

So he excuses Bickell, Roszival, Crawford (who doesn't have a couple bad deals), then compares Seids and Kelly to Toews and Kane.

His general point may not be wrong, but his logic is entirely flawed.

If you want to compare what the Hawks get from Toews/Kane/Hossa/Keith vs Bergy/Lucic/Krejci/Chara, that's fine. If you want to compare Sharp/Bickell/Roszival/Oduya to Kelly/Loui/Seids/McQuaid, go for it. But the argument as presented above is just flat out stupid.

The Hawks are in a better position because they've got a better pipeline of talent and their elite players are higher end than the Bruins are. Both teams have mid tier guys that they've overpaid, arguably Chicago has done that moreso.

Crushed it. :handclap:

He's glossing over the fact that Sharp had a miserable year and Hossa will start trending down soon with his age. Also the fact that Seabrook suddenly is popping up in trade rumors because of their cap jail. How will Felger view it IF one of the Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook have to be shipped out to get under the cap and they don't win this year?

Plain and simple, Chicago has more talent and they have it all over the place. Add to that a good coach and a decent GM and they've got the formula to have a decent cup window. Boston made some bad moves which sped up their cup window and essentially put them in purgatory. But alas, Felger being Felger taking advantage of how hindsight is always 20/20.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Oh and one other item of note. Why get garbage in return for Seguin ? They didn't shop him around like they should have, but still they should have gotten something better than they did. It's like Joe Thornton all over again.

It was well publicized that the B's were considering moving Seguin. It was all over TSN. The problem may have been in evaluating the offers rather than not getting enough of them. For all we know, that was the best package offered (although that doesn't mean you have to take it obviously)

Thornton on the other hand appeared to come completely out of the blue.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I have been told by a source I trust that Jeremy Jacobs ordered both Thornton and Seguin to be banished because of lifestyle issues. It goes back 30 years to Craig MacTavish.

Mr. Jacobs does not like to be embarrassed.

Last edited:

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
What a load. Wait until the Hawks are paying Those 10.5 million dollar salaries and we'll see if they can maintain their perrenial contender status. That team is so top heavy its sick, their best players are so good and they have in my opinion the best coach in the game that they cover the holes in their lineup rather well. We'll see after this year.

We're in cap jail because of Kelly and Seids? LOL. oookay then. Combined they make 7 mill. Are they overpaid? Kelly is. At the time of Seids deal 4 million a year was a considered bargain. Had he gone to market healthy he would've easily gotten 1.5 more.

They're in the same boat we are, maybe a couple years behind the curve. Aging blue line, overpaying for anything that may have helped in the past etc. They also need to stray integrating younger guys because a lot of their prospects have not stepped up as big as they've needed them to.

I honestly think this is Chicago's last year as the team to beat in the west. Too many bodies moving out this year and a lot of question marks for the future.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
What a load. Wait until the Hawks are paying Those 10.5 million dollar salaries and we'll see if they can maintain their perrenial contender status. That team is so top heavy its sick, their best players are so good and they have in my opinion the best coach in the game that they cover the holes in their lineup rather well. We'll see after this year.

We're in cap jail because of Kelly and Seids? LOL. oookay then. Combined they make 7 mill. Are they overpaid? Kelly is. At the time of Seids deal 4 million a year was a considered bargain. Had he gone to market healthy he would've easily gotten 1.5 more.

They're in the same boat we are, maybe a couple years behind the curve. Aging blue line, overpaying for anything that may have helped in the past etc. They also need to stray integrating younger guys because a lot of their prospects have not stepped up as big as they've needed them to.

I honestly think this is Chicago's last year as the team to beat in the west. Too many bodies moving out this year and a lot of question marks for the future.

Yep ... look at what's happened with Sid & Geno in Pitt and consider that Toews/Kane will eat up nearly $3M more than that combo. What he is right about is they are better equipped to backfill than the B's are. That said they'll have less room to work with.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I understand the point he i smaking and it's valid to an extent. His means of making that point are off base. SOmeone mentioned it but I had the same thought so will add:

-The issue isn't Seids and Kelly vs Toew's and Kane. It's Chara and Krejci and Rask and Lucic who are not delivering to the level that their cap hits might suggest they should.

-What about the term of Chicago's deals. Hossa, 12 year contract, Keith 13 years, over in 2023, Kane and Toews on the books til 2023, Crawford til 2020. If any of these guys went down with a significant injury, would these deals look so good? No and they're such significant contributors to the team's success that they'd be hard pressed to contend. Bickell's contract is a joke and Vertseeg at $4m is worse than Loui's $4.2m.

Oh and this 7 year playoff streak Chicago has? Didn't the B's have a 7 year streak until this year? And didn't Chicago miss the playoffs 5 years in a row and 9/10 years before their current streak.

Felger has totally over-simplified things, he's ignored how badly things could have, and still may, get if Chicago has some major injuries. He's ignored that they have a number of guys on the books into next decade. He's ignored the B's playoff streak. He's ignored the Hawks bad contracts. He's ignored that team success tends to run in cycles. He's ignored the impact of coaching on a team's success. He went after the same issues that a lot of people here go after...it's Kelly, Campbell, Seids and Seguin that are the Bruins problems.

So Felger, let's see how things work out for Chicago before crowning them the model organization. Say...didn't that title belong to LA...and didn't they get compared a lot to Chicago too...until they missed the playoffs this year?????

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
I have been told by a source I trust that Jeremy Jacobs ordered both Thornton and Sequin to be banished because of lifestyle issues. It goes back 30 years to Craig MacTavish.

Mr. Jacobs does not like to be embarrassed.

Well, my personal opinion is that he got embarrassed more when his team disobeyed Chuckie's order and missed the playoffs. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad