Bridgeview
On first listen, Gentleman I give 425 out of this scale:

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent
500: very good
600: superb
700: transcendental

I like the jams and think they show high technical ability, but wonder if they have enough to pull me in even deeper. I went from really liking it to growing a bit disinterested as the album wore on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
On first listen, Gentleman I give 425 out of this scale:

200: distasteful and pathetic
300: mediocre or subpar
400: average, but decent
500: very good
600: superb
700: transcendental

I like the jams and think they show high technical ability, but wonder if they have enough to pull me in even deeper. I went from really liking it to growing a bit disinterested as the album wore on.

Is music that plays on a basic vamp for 15+ minutes relatively new to you, or have you listened to a lot of music like that?

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Is music that plays on a basic vamp for 15+ minutes relatively new to you, or have you listened to a lot of music like that?
Yeah, I actually had to look up 'vamp' just now. I would say I listen to such music very little, assuming most of the better-known free jazz from the 60s doesn't count. I like other albums that apparently use that form (A Love Supreme, by John Coltrane) a lot, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Maybe I was just tired. I'll give it another shot later today.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I actually had to look up 'vamp' just now. I would say I listen to such music very little, assuming most of the better-known free jazz from the 60s doesn't count. t like other albums that apparently use that form (A Love Supreme, by John Coltrane) a lot, so I'm not sure what the deal was. Maybe I was just tired. I'll give it another shot later today.

My best recommendation is simply to keep listening. :)

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I tried it again this morning and I'm sticking by my rating. They're good jams, but they're not taking me to that deeper / higher level. I don't know why this is a super-highly praised work, but it's sure not bad. Good summer time music. Overall, 'okay'.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I tried it again this morning and I'm sticking by my rating. They're good jams, but they're not taking me to that deeper / higher level. I don't know why this is a super-highly praised work, but it's sure not bad. Good summer time music. Overall, 'okay'.

Well, you gave 'er a shot anyway.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Haven't fully dived in, but just wanted to comment and say that I've really been enjoying Gentleman I, Opposite People, and the live album with Ginger Baker a lot recently, thanks to this thread.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I was trying to check out an hour-long documentary on Fela Kuti, that I heard was good. I was on Youtube and only got through part one (of five or six). The next one was blocked. It looked decent so far. Apparently he was a politician of sorts as well.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I never get details right, but apparently he was arrested and beat up after every album release, constantly fought/called out the government, eventually formed his own political party and actually became president or something..... all while he was putting out 3-4 albums a year.

On an unrelated note, after watching Beware of Mr. Baker, I always wonder if that thing Fela says before "Ye Ye De Smell" is an intended subtle shot at Baker's rotten personality or if it's completely an accidental coincidence.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Fela often criticized the government (under a military dictatorship no less) by name, so he took his lumps. And when you set up a compound, surround it with barbed wire, declare it a separate country, marry 27 women, and smoke copious amounts of ______ in full view of the authorities, you're gonna ruffle some feathers too haha.

The doc on Youtube is good. There's a recent one you can download called Finding Fela - it focuses a lot on the Fela broadway play (those parts are a bit grating), but it's also probably the best introduction to the man's life.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: