Music: Fela Kuti

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Finally bit the bullet and ordered the 27 disc "Complete Works" box set and though it might be nice to have a little discussion about a musical giant who gets far too little mainstream exposure in NA.

For those unfamiliar with Fela, he was a Nigerian musician who studied composition in England and was exposed to black American music and civil rights ideas in the '60s, then fused those diverse influences into Afrobeat - extended polyrhythmic funk vamps (often 20+ minutes) with rich, perpetually-shifting horn arrangements, solo improvisations, call-and-response choruses, and pointed criticisms of government and colonialism that often build to dazzling climaxes where everything comes together.

In case that seems a bit forbidding, I'll use the old lazy fallback of name-dropping:

'the best band I've ever seen live ... When Fela and his band eventually began to play, after a long, crazy build-up, I just couldn't stop weeping with joy. It was a very moving experience.'

- Paul McCartney

Well actually I thought THEY were the greatest, period. Even before I got into James Brown’s band, the James Brown band was number one to me. But once I got there and saw Fela and them, then I had second thoughts about it. I mean, seriously. The James Brown band reminded me of that same non-stop groove, you know: you gotta move. And then when I heard these cats, it was like another dimension of that. A dimension that I had never experienced before. And it had a deeper feel to me. I couldn’t explain it, you know, but it was something I had been involved with but not as deep. When I heard them, that was the deepest level you could get. That’s the only way I can explain that. Not that I’m doggin’ myself along with the rest of the guys, but that’s the way I felt. When I heard that, it was like, ‘Man, this is IT. We gotta try to be like this!’ [laughs] And I knew we couldn’t!

- Bootsy Collins

Also, I’d heard and read enough about him somewhere or other that I knew that he was a phenomenon, a unique phenomenon, in that the music he was bringing together, it sounded like it, and it truly was, he had lived in the United States for a while, he was influenced by the Black Power movement in the late ’60s, by the different strands of American music at that time, whether it was Miles Davis or Coltrane, James Brown, etc. And you could hear all that, you hear him put it together with African grooves and create something completely new out of it. But it’s obviously informed by, he’s bringing a lot of what was happening on this continent back to Africa. Just amazing! The lyrics and everything, having something to say that wasn’t just party music, that made it pretty incredible too.

- David Byrne

I remember the first time I listened and how dazzled I was by the groove and the rhythmic complexity, and by the raw, harsh sounds of the brass, like Mack trucks hurtling across highways with their horns blaring. Everything I thought I knew about music at that point was up in the air again. The sheer force and drive of this wild Nigerian stuff blew my mind. My friend Robert Wyatt called it ‘Jazz from another planet’ – and suddenly I thought I understood the point of jazz, until then an almost alien music to me

- Brian Eno

And in the next year, he got out of jail and he came and he played at the Olympic Auditorium. I went to go see him play and it was one of the most AWESOME things I EVER saw in my life. He played for about four hours, like three songs. It was the greatest thing I ever heard: It was incredible! People went crazy, the whole place was on fire! I just remember being enthralled by the music. I was totally entranced.

- Flea

He didn’t have any competitors. [laughs] There was nobody doing what Fela was doing. It was just…heh…you had to go to Fela’s club to see that. You didn’t see anybody that wasn’t moving. The whole place was jumping.

- Ginger Baker

So yeah. If you like the guy already or the above made you a little curious, say something and I'll say something back.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Top-tier genius. He's easily the most immediately infectious and ridiculously prolific artist I've ever heard-- He released what, 30 albums between 1971 and 1977, and I can't for the life of me consider a single one of them anything less than "very good/great".

When you factor in all the other important social/political issues he was dealing with at the same time, what he did is absolutely unthinkable. On top of that, he seems like such a singular entity-- I haven't heard any similar influences before or after that sounds a fraction as good.

By the way, I never did get a good read on how the albums rank for you.... Would be very interested in getting a rough idea of that. My favorites are currently Live with Ginger Baker, Confusion, and Gentlemen. I've been really obsessed with Opposite People lately as well.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I like parts of the bottom cut, but he has never been my guy. With the rhythm, the progressions and the funky grooves, I can see why he appeals to you, though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Top-tier genius. He's easily the most immediately infectious and ridiculously prolific artist I've ever heard-- He released what, 30 albums between 1971 and 1977, and I can't for the life of me consider a single one of them anything less than "very good/great".

When you factor in all the other important social/political issues he was dealing with at the same time, what he did is absolutely unthinkable. On top of that, he seems like such a singular entity-- I haven't heard any similar influences before or after that sounds a fraction as good.

By the way, I never did get a good read on how the albums rank for you.... Would be very interested in getting a rough idea of that. My favorites are currently Live with Ginger Baker, Confusion, and Gentlemen. I've been really obsessed with Opposite People lately as well.

Opposite People's a fantastic tune too. One of my faves.

A ranking would be so, so hard for me at this point. There was a time when I'd have had Lady/Gentleman at the very top, but almost every one of his records has moments - singular moments, like you say - that tickle me. I think I even like Egypt 80 the best of all his bands, not because the musicianship is any better (as if it could be without Tony Allen), but because the way he interweaves the choruses and horns seem to get progressively more ambitious.

Crank 1:55 to 3:10 of Just Like That at full volume:

That **** kills me. I used to think that he was overstating the case a bit when he said he was making "black classical music", but that is transcendent. Then consider that came out in 1989, when most of the very best artists were producing sub-par stuff slathered in a thick layer of cheese.

I like parts of the bottom cut, but he has never been my guy. With the rhythm, the progressions and the funky grooves, I can see why he appeals to you, though.

Yeah, Fela's a little on the rough side and melody has never been a big priority. I've given up on trying to sell you on artists with those particulars, haha.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Always like hearing about new artists. Especially ones held in high regard, like this one apparently is. Very good music, especially the first two of four videos you have shared so far, Warm Cookies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Always like hearing about new artists. Especially ones held in high regard, like this one apparently is. Very good music, especially the first two of four videos you have shared so far, Warm Cookies.

Awesome! If you like the first 2 the best and have the time/inclination, you might want to try Gentleman, Zombie, JJD, No Agreement, Lady, and Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am. Hope you dig 'em.

Also, you may want to check out his life story on Wikipedia. One of the most interesting biographies in 20th century music, I'd say.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, Fela's a little on the rough side and melody has never been a big priority. I've given up on trying to sell you on artists with those particulars, haha.
Here's a Congolese contemporary of Kuti (born in the same year, 1938) who is more to my taste (instrumental section begins around 8:40):

A gentler groove, I would say.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Opposite People's a fantastic tune too. One of my faves.

A ranking would be so, so hard for me at this point. There was a time when I'd have had Lady/Gentleman at the very top, but almost every one of his records has moments - singular moments, like you say - that tickle me. I think I even like Egypt 80 the best of all his bands, not because the musicianship is any better (as if it could be without Tony Allen), but because the way he interweaves the choruses and horns seem to get progressively more ambitious.

Crank 1:55 to 3:10 of Just Like That at full volume:

That **** kills me. I used to think that he was overstating the case a bit when he said he was making "black classical music", but that is transcendent. Then consider that came out in 1989, when most of the very best artists were producing sub-par stuff slathered in a thick layer of cheese.

Cool stuff.

I have to say that I definitely lean towards early-period Fela Kuti over late period Fela Kuti (most of my favorites are from 1971-1975). There's something I find much more raw, infectious, and piercing about it, and Tony Allen's a huge huge part of what I love about Fela Kuti. He's one of my favorite all time drummers.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Cool stuff.

I have to say that I definitely lean towards early-period Fela Kuti over late period Fela Kuti (most of my favorites are from 1971-1975). There's something I find much more raw, infectious, and piercing about it, and Tony Allen's a huge huge part of what I love about Fela Kuti. He's one of my favorite all time drummers.

I hear ya. There's an immediacy to those recordings. After Allen left, the rhythm was necessarily less at the forefront. But the more I listened to the later stuff, the more I appreciated how much bolder he got in his arrangements. Personal preference more than anything, I suppose.

I used to give less attention to songs like Original Suffer Head, ITT, Army Arrangement, Just Like That etc., but I listen to those more than any others these days. Different but just as great, IMO.

Here's a Congolese contemporary of Kuti (born in the same year, 1938) who is more to my taste (instrumental section begins around 8:40):

A gentler groove, I would say.

Certainly gentler. I do miss that jarring "herd of war elephants" sound that always prikcs up my ears, but it's definitely worth exploring. That instrumental passage had a hypnotic groove to it, not totally dissimilar to what I've heard from King Sunny Ade.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Just because I want to continue the discussion, I'm gonna bump this asking if anyone else has heard a band with a horn section comparable to Kuti's.

It has such a huge sound, with a lot of bottom end. I'm hooked and need another fix.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I find the hesitance/lack of exposure to get into Fela Kuti kind of strange. His sound is so ridiculously accessible/immediate/simple, his reputation is hyperbolically huge, and the story/mythology surrounding him is so fascinating and sell-able, but people generally don't seem to want to try it.

I'm contradicting myself I guess because I still took a little bit to warm up to it as well, but it was a much smoother transition than most artists at that level.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I find the hesitance/lack of exposure to get into Fela Kuti kind of strange. His sound is so ridiculously accessible/immediate/simple, his reputation is hyperbolically huge, and the story/mythology surrounding him is so fascinating and sell-able, but people generally don't seem to want to try it.

I'm contradicting myself I guess because I still took a little bit to warm up to it as well, but it was a much smoother transition than most artists at that level.

I think it's a big step for people to explore something from a country outside of NA/Europe/Jamaica to begin with on account of unfamiliarity, and when that artist often requires a 20+ minute investment per song - in a pidgin English that can be hard to make out, without much emphasis on melody - it's a tough sell. That, and like Bootsy, it's easy to assume that African music is mostly traditional acoustic stuff that involved banging on some drums outside. It's a bit ignorant, but most people's biggest source of info about Africa comes from commercials asking for money to help emaciated kids.

Moving that far out of one's comfort zone requires a conscious effort, I think. It's just easier to dig around for the next mediocre indie band with similar instrumentation, influences, and running times to what they're used to, despite them not having a fraction of Fela's talent or ambition.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Good stuff.

New music for me, thanks for the intro! I am really enjoying it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This experience blew me away. Just so ridiculously punchy, infectious/lively, simple, and satisfying.

I think it's a big step for people to explore something from a country outside of NA/Europe/Jamaica to begin with on account of unfamiliarity, and when that artist often requires a 20+ minute investment per song - in a pidgin English that can be hard to make out, without much emphasis on melody - it's a tough sell. That, and like Bootsy, it's easy to assume that African music is mostly traditional acoustic stuff that involved banging on some drums outside. It's a bit ignorant, but most people's biggest source of info about Africa comes from commercials asking for money to help emaciated kids.

Moving that far out of one's comfort zone requires a conscious effort, I think. It's just easier to dig around for the next mediocre indie band with similar instrumentation, influences, and running times to what they're used to, despite them not having a fraction of Fela's talent or ambition.
I suppose. The love for modern indie bands really does baffle me. There were a few years where I tried to do the "keeping up with what comes out as it's released and ending up with a yearly top 10 list" thing and I just couldn't do it-- not nearly enough reward for the effort, to me.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
What are some essential Fela Kuti albums to check out? The only one I actually own is the Ginger Baker one Shareefruck posted. It's plenty cool but he was always one of those guys with such an enormous discography that I always said I'd come back to him and investigate further one day.

I'm happy Franco was mentioned earlier because I went through a phase of grabbing everything I could from him and it's all fantastic.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
What are some essential Fela Kuti albums to check out? The only one I actually own is the Ginger Baker one Shareefruck posted. It's plenty cool but he was always one of those guys with such an enormous discography that I always said I'd come back to him and investigate further one day.

I'm happy Franco was mentioned earlier because I went through a phase of grabbing everything I could from him and it's all fantastic.
I haven't gotten around to giving it a shot yet, but one album both Warm Cookies and Shareefruck endorsed is Gentleman, from 1973.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This experience blew me away. Just so ridiculously punchy, infectious/lively, simple, and satisfying.

Listened to 'er again on your recommendation. Ye Ye De Smell's what stood out for me this time - it's a freight train. Not a fan of Baker's fills and solos on this album overall, but the energy's palpable.

I suppose. The love for modern indie bands really does baffle me. There were a few years where I tried to do the "keeping up with what comes out as it's released and ending up with a yearly top 10 list" thing and I just couldn't do it-- not nearly enough reward for the effort, to me.

It's such a huge investment, and when I hear the year-end best-of results of the 100s of albums people plow through every year, I'm inevitably left thinking "That's it?".

Once you hear the true greats - the ones that make you re-examine what you thought good music could be - almost all the new stuff seems pretty pedestrian.

Depends on what you're looking for man. If you want more visceral rhythms, tracks like Lady, Gentleman (like Hippasus said), Kalakuta Show, JJD, and Opposite People would probably appeal more. Lately I'm skewing more towards edgy horn and choral arrangements, so I'm listening to later stuff like ITT, Original Suffer head, Just Like That, Army Arrangement, etc. There are some great, slightly more genteel tracks like Water No get Enemy and Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am too.

But it's virtually all good man. I've left out a ton of classics. Pretty much every song has it's own revelations that might not get you on first listen.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

I think I lean more towards the more explosive/punchy, less complicated rhythms compared to Warm Cookies, but
Gentlemen and Confusion for me are the best. Also love Shakara, Roforofo Fight (especially the first two tracks), Alagbon Close, Opposite People, Expensive Sh**, Afrodisiac, and London Scene.

Gentlemen genuinely moves and inspires me on a personal level. I find the sentiment really simple, beautifully expressed, and passionate.

I really don't think there's a single bad album in his 30 album discography, though, so if you want a real experience, I would almost start from the beginning and keep going until you get bored. He's brilliant pretty much right away, or at least starting with London Scene/Live with Ginger Baker. I like it less as it moves into his later years, but Warm Cookies seems to love that period, so I really don't think you can go wrong, really.

The one that is really accessible/immediate/catchy that grabbed me right away was Yellow Fever, but I no longer think it's as good as the others. Still a ton of fun, though.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Had to bump the thread to post this since I heard it for the first time today:

That is a crazy rhythm. I listened to a few tracks by these guys and they were all great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad