Feel Good Leafs Nation

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Leafs Nation...
comparing ourselves to the worst of the worst in order to feel better about our mediocrity since 1967.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you not using the "utterly elite" prospects on the Oilers as your "rebuild" comparison during many of your anti-Burke rants over the past couple of years?

Guess comparisons are only appropriate until they don't suit your agenda?

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you not using the "utterly elite" prospects on the Oilers as your "rebuild" comparison during many of your anti-Burke rants over the past couple of years?

Guess comparisons are only appropriate until they don't suit your agenda?

They are just being mismanaged right now. They got 4 players on their roster who they can trade for anybody on the leaf's roster. They just have to get creative and stop trying to recapture the '80s Oilers.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Tied for 2nd in the conference, without our top 2 centers, youngest team in the league and never icing a full lineup.

I think there is plenty to be positive about. Why even compare ourselves to the Oil.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
last time i checked results were what matters.... and our results are we are a playoff team.

The fear is that losing 3 of our last 4 games is trending in the wrong direction for that current position to hold.

So it is the current results that matter in that regard.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Recent play is a bit concerning. Lack of quality chances from our top guys + the injuries we're dealing with right now.

Am glad to have Bernier/Reimer though. They're both stepping up big time

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
They are just being mismanaged right now. They got 4 players on their roster who they can trade for anybody on the leaf's roster. They just have to get creative and stop trying to recapture the '80s Oilers.

I wouldn't trade Kessel for anyone on that roster outside of Hall. So they have one.

That's just like saying they could trade 4 people on their roster for anyone on the B's outside of Rask and Bergeron. What does player value even indicate?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The fear is that losing 3 of our last 4 games is trending in the wrong direction for that current position to hold.

So it is the current results that matter in that regard.

But when we playing well late in the 2010-11 season, it was the results in the standings that mattered.

Seems as though "what matters" changes to fit in with "things are bad" narrative.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The difference between the two organizations over the past 6-7 years: Brian Burke, and climate.

All teams fall under the same mandate - continue to improve your organization by acquiring assets of greater value. They can do this via draft, trades and signings. All routes need to be pursued to continue to improve over the long haul. The current Leafs' roster has been built by drafting guys like Kadri and Rielly, trading for guys like JVR, Lupul, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson, Bernier and Bolland, and signing guys like Clarkson and Ranger. Not always going to hit a home run with every acquisition, but that doesn't mean any one means is more important than the other.

When a team is absolutely terrible, they typically draft high and look to obtain their next franchise player(s). These are no brainer picks, and if you're really bad and you get lucky at the same time, you end up with a Crosby or Ovechkin. These types of players don't come around every draft year. Sometimes draft years are weak, and poor performance from the year before doesn't guarantee anything great at the draft table. It's not a perfect science. Just ask Cliff "Draft Schmaft" Fletcher.

The Oilers are a pretty bad team to compare anyone to - the market is very different. I think its much tougher for their management to attract and retain players than most (if not all) teams in the league - just comes with the territory of being situated in a city like Edmonton. They're kind of like the Blue Jays of hockey. Most players, if they had the choice, would likely want to play elsewhere. So, they are forced to try and build more through draft picks than most other teams, hope they can make good trades and pray that they can attract good free agents.

The Leafs' rebuild has been somewhat unorthodox - kudos to Brian Burke for swinging some pretty great deals to get the Leafs back to respectability. Typically, trades are not easy to construe and hard to get to a point where both teams feel like they're improving their club, which is obviously essential for the trade to happen. Burke was able to achieve this with the deals for Lupul/Gardiner, Franson, Phaneuf and JVR. Pretty amazing, IMO. The Kessel deal was unique, and at the time it was made, it was the acquisition of a young kid with superstar potential who already proved himself at the NHL level, for a potentially high draft pick that came with more risk. Bird in hand, as they say. Signings are always tough, as you're typically overpaying guys for their past performance. Aside from Clarke MacArthur, this has not been an area where the Leafs have succeeded since BB took over, but I give them a pass, as it is the riskiest of the three routes.

The Oilers, on the other hand, have drafted good players (and its not that tough when you pick 1st overall who to chose), but haven't done much else to build the rest of their roster. Very different approach than Toronto, but likely not by choice, more so by circumstance.

I'm very interested now to see if Burke can work similar magic in a tough market like Calgary.

GLG
You guys realize that their core is still all very, very young. It didn't take as long for PIT because they got Crosby and Malkin FFS. I'm sorry to break it to you but they will eventually be a really good team.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
358mfg.jpg

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
i dont understand how you can count years where you cant compete for a playoff spot...

7 year playoff drought, not 9

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
I like your optimism, but the 18 wheeler could still slip down a treacherous slope and off the cliff at this stage in the season.

Mar 26, 2010
Be careful with this comparison. The Oilers have way more skill than the Leafs including 3, first overall picks in a row. IF that team ever gets it togather, they could be very dangerous.

ungentrified

Jan 18, 2013
Pessimism is a principle in Leafs Nation. The emotional highs that we get would not feel as good if we didn't spend time sulking and talking about how the grass is greener somewhere else.

At least that's what I hope some of the posters here feel, because it sure feels odd to be a fan of a team that you constantly complain about.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
What's there to be positive about? We are always getting outplayed.

Am I happy that comparatively our rebuild did good? No. There's a big difference between comparatively good and good.
Whats to be positive about? Did you forget that we're top 3 in the East right? I mean, you DO see that right? Or, what about that old motto " good teams find ways to win"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad