Feel Good Leafs Nation

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Are we playing our best hockey right now? No. But let's think back.

We went 9 years with no playoffs. Rebuilt for 6 of those. Who was rebuilding at the same time? The Edmonton Oilers.

During those years, all we heard was how we were doing it wrong. That the Oilers are doing it right. How they will be much better then us, and we will be stuck at the bottom of the league for years.

It could be A LOT WORSE. Are we really bashing Kessel over one mistake, and then the puck rolling off his stick in the shootout. (literally that is what happened)

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
"At least we're not the Oilers" could turn into the league's very own 'serenity now'.

Insanity later.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Someone should make an "At least we're not the Oilers " avatar the entire HF boards could make use of it...well except for you know who.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
What's there to be positive about? We are always getting outplayed.

Am I happy that comparatively our rebuild did good? No. There's a big difference between comparatively good and good.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We were "outplayed" all last season too.

It comes with the Carlyle territory

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario

Am I happy that comparatively our rebuild did good? No. There's a big difference between comparatively good and good.
*obligatory "quality > quantity" post*

mikebel111*

Things should even out with a full lineup. With this lineup, we should be happy that we are getting points. With a healthy lineup, i think things will get better

Disgruntled Observer*

Leafs Nation...
comparing ourselves to the worst of the worst in order to feel better about our mediocrity since 1967.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think the Clarkson signing vs his real value has had an effect on this team. I don't think they play as well with him on the team.

Just my opinion but I don't see value transferring to the team game.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I think the Clarkson signing vs his real value has had an effect on this team. I don't think they play as well with him on the team.

Just my opinion but I don't see value transferring to the team game.
I'm pretty sure it really doesn't.

Much more likely to have an impact is constantly not having a full lineup and losing 90% of your centers.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Whats there to feel good about besides our 2 amazing goalies? Our offense has dried out, a good chunk of our team is injured and our biggest Free Agent signing in a long time is playing like he's blind.

Woohoo!

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Leafs Nation...
comparing ourselves to the worst of the worst in order to feel better about our mediocrity since 1967.

Exactly. We'll kick a terrible team while they are down but get real hurt feelings if others point out the slightest negative fact about our own team.

hockeyfanz*

Leafs Nation...

I hate it. Why the F do I care how the Oilers are doing or not? I hate the Oilers.

Being destitute and living in a better cardboard box than the guy under the next bridge is no reason to celebrate. And until the Leafs actually win a playoff round...they are just as crap as anybody else including the Oilers IMO. They have proven nothing yet.

hockeyfanz*

I'm pretty sure it really doesn't.

Much more likely to have an impact is constantly not having a full lineup and losing 90% of your centers.

Save the injuries excuses because every NHL team has injuries. The Oilers have had their share of star players going down...While it is true the Leafs have lost Bozak and Bolland...the fact that they have ZERO depth at C is the real issue here. They had to sign some journeyman plug to fill out their C roles because they have no one else. And if you are using the loss of Bozak as a reason as to why the team is struggling...how good is this team anyway? Really? Bozak?

Pitt the Elder

Nov 7, 2013
Oakville, ON
If this team doesn't start playing better we're going to take a 2012 Minnesota Wild-style tumble in the 2nd half of the season.

Goaltending can't stay at .937 team save percentage forever.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Our goaltending is what's there is positive to be positive about.

Bernier and Reimer have given the Leafs outstanding goaltending on a consistent and nightly basis. Without their individual efforts witnessed by their impressive sv% this team would be nowhere close to where they currently are.

Strong goaltending can mask team deficiencies in other areas.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I'll mostly agree with you on your topic, but think you may be coming at it from the wrong angle . . . for me, it's all about piling on the Edmonton Oilers, full stop.

I would love for the rest of the country to pile on them as well - just like they did the Leafs. Jokes about how Edmonton is a toilet on and off the ice. Eberle is the softest player ever. RNH is overrated. Hall isn't the leader you thought he was. Etc.

They NEED to feel the humiliation. Remember how high on themselves they were for being that tank team? Yeah, I remember it. 99% of people would have taken the Oil over the Leafs during the rebuild years. Everyone drank the Kool-Aid.

Well, recess is over kids - and the Kool-Aid, it turns out, was just sugar-water.

My fellow Leafers! Blue Maplemen and women! BUDdies!
Begin the threads ON OILER TERRITORY!!! March in and demand explanations!!!

Why are the Oil so bad?!?
What happened to the re-build?!? How long will it happen?!? Will it be like a summer construction project gone wrong, turning from one summer season into a decade-long contract with no end?
Are all you all Oiler fans STILL so bloody deluded about your "so-called" talent?
How talented can a last place team be?
Let's go back and examine all the ways ALL the Oiler fans were wrong in their predictions of future glory . . . or better yet, are you just gonna live in dreamland and keep extending your due date on talent?

Etc, you get the idea.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
Before the third, I'm pretty sure the shot differential was only -4 or -5... And then we spent almost half of the period on the penalty kill.

That'll drag the shot differential down. Not to mention that our third centre was out for half of the last period, and the fact that we were playing with only 10 forwards for half of the third.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Our goaltending is what's there is positive to be positive about.

Bernier and Reimer have given the Leafs outstanding goaltending on a consistent and nightly basis. Without their individual efforts witnessed by their impressive sv% this team would be nowhere close to where they currently are.

Strong goaltending can mask team deficiencies in other areas.

Completely agree with you mess

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
The difference between the two organizations over the past 6-7 years: Brian Burke, and climate.

All teams fall under the same mandate - continue to improve your organization by acquiring assets of greater value. They can do this via draft, trades and signings. All routes need to be pursued to continue to improve over the long haul. The current Leafs' roster has been built by drafting guys like Kadri and Rielly, trading for guys like JVR, Lupul, Gardiner, Kessel, Phaneuf, Franson, Bernier and Bolland, and signing guys like Clarkson and Ranger. Not always going to hit a home run with every acquisition, but that doesn't mean any one means is more important than the other.

When a team is absolutely terrible, they typically draft high and look to obtain their next franchise player(s). These are no brainer picks, and if you're really bad and you get lucky at the same time, you end up with a Crosby or Ovechkin. These types of players don't come around every draft year. Sometimes draft years are weak, and poor performance from the year before doesn't guarantee anything great at the draft table. It's not a perfect science. Just ask Cliff "Draft Schmaft" Fletcher.

The Oilers are a pretty bad team to compare anyone to - the market is very different. I think its much tougher for their management to attract and retain players than most (if not all) teams in the league - just comes with the territory of being situated in a city like Edmonton. They're kind of like the Blue Jays of hockey. Most players, if they had the choice, would likely want to play elsewhere. So, they are forced to try and build more through draft picks than most other teams, hope they can make good trades and pray that they can attract good free agents.

The Leafs' rebuild has been somewhat unorthodox - kudos to Brian Burke for swinging some pretty great deals to get the Leafs back to respectability. Typically, trades are not easy to construe and hard to get to a point where both teams feel like they're improving their club, which is obviously essential for the trade to happen. Burke was able to achieve this with the deals for Lupul/Gardiner, Franson, Phaneuf and JVR. Pretty amazing, IMO. The Kessel deal was unique, and at the time it was made, it was the acquisition of a young kid with superstar potential who already proved himself at the NHL level, for a potentially high draft pick that came with more risk. Bird in hand, as they say. Signings are always tough, as you're typically overpaying guys for their past performance. Aside from Clarke MacArthur, this has not been an area where the Leafs have succeeded since BB took over, but I give them a pass, as it is the riskiest of the three routes.

The Oilers, on the other hand, have drafted good players (and its not that tough when you pick 1st overall who to chose), but haven't done much else to build the rest of their roster. Very different approach than Toronto, but likely not by choice, more so by circumstance.

I'm very interested now to see if Burke can work similar magic in a tough market like Calgary.

GLG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad